Lambi

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
This may be a strange question, but can anyone please tell me how to make Lambi vinegarette, not hot. I finally found conch and now need to know how to cook it and then make Lambi with it!

Please Help!!

Many Thanks!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Not a strange question at all

Angelita said:
This may be a strange question, but can anyone please tell me how to make Lambi vinegarette, not hot. I finally found conch and now need to know how to cook it and then make Lambi with it!

Please Help!!

Many Thanks!!

I don't have a recipe for lambi vinegreta, but I certainly understand why you would want one if you have a source for the conch where you are. I love the stuff, and it is one of the first things I seek out on arriving in the DR.

Just from observation, I would say that the lambi itself is probably just blanched or sauteed at low temp. (I have never seen it "browned") then marinated in the vinegrette, which definately contains some lemon or lime juice as well as vinegar and oil and some spices, which I expect vary from place to place. Chop up some onions, tomatos, cucumbers and mild peppers and mix with the sauce on a bed of lettuce, and you will have a reasonable facimile. If you don't get a REAL recipe, why not give it a try and let us know how it comes out?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
lambi vinagrette! I like mine with hot sauce, and my favorite is the one peddled on the beach (Palenque, and others), where the lambi (probably boiled) is chopped up before your eyes and then mixed with a previously prepared vinagrette of onions, tomatoes, pepper, and probably catchup. Before I eat it though, I make the sign of the cross, just in case...;-)

Mirador

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Chop onions, peppers,a little garlic, tomatoes and celery - mix in a little salt, vinegar and some oil - set aside

Boil the Lambi and chop in small pieces.

Mix the vinagrette with the chopped lambi - eat and enjoy.

You can also sautee the lambi.

First heat some garlic - then add chopped peppers, onion, celery then add a little tomato paste add a little water then add the chopped lambi - sautee for about 2 minutes. Then add finely chopped cilantro - keep on heat for another minute then ready to serve.

From my husband the chef :)

Rosanie

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting question..........

We make our vinegrette using fresh RAW lambi (conch) as lambi becomes like rubber when heated unless boiled to death with lots of "tenderizer" in the water.
We "peel" the lambi then slice in very thin slices (almost like spaghetti) and marinate it in lemon juice (the acid of the lemon juice "cooks" the lambi). Then we do as Rosanie and Sweetdbt suggest....some onion,tomatoe,garlic, cucumber, hot pepper, sweet peppers etc. etc. (that is if it doesn't all get eaten just with the lemon juice.)
If we do cook it first we basically peel it then boil it forever with meat tenderizer and lemon juice until it becomes "softened" and then we'll do the vinegrette or more likely do it in a type of mayonnaise based "sauce that is delicious!!

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I must be a bit dim

I thought conch and lambi were different creatures - so can anyone explain to me what the shellfish is that lives in the big brown,purple and pink shell that's obviously not a conch. (What on earth have I been eating)? :eek:

Simon

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bulgao, it's a smaller cousin of Lambi, tastier if you ask me.

Mirador

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It is conch.....or Lambi in Dominican Spanish!

Simon & Nicky said:
I thought conch and lambi were different creatures - so can anyone explain to me what the shellfish is that lives in the big brown,purple and pink shell that's obviously not a conch. (What on earth have I been eating)? :eek:

Simon

They're the same thing.........kinda like papaya/lechosa! Only difference is if you're speaking English or Spanish. We call 'em lambi 'cause it's easier to pronounce than conch (konk!) in English!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
also try Bahamian conch salad -

Dice the conch into small cubes, make sure you skin the black part of the conch before. Make sure you clean out the conch 'guts' if they are not cleaned already (the sandy sticky stuff underneath the pink part).

Add onions, green peppers, celery, and tomatoe cubes about the same size.

Add hot peppers diced if so desired (if doesnt put beads of sweat on your forehead, its not hot enough).

Add salt

Squeeze plenty of lime juice and sour orange, enough to where the level reaches half way up to the bowl. This means many many limes, maybe 2/3 lime juice and 1/3 sour orange (not sure what this fruit is called in the DR).

Mix it up and serve in a cup and spoon.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
lamb? (Strombus gigas) and burgao (Cittarium pica) are two different species of molusks, however visually they are very similar. Although rare, they're a delicacy along the coast of Barahona.

Mirador

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Mirador....quick question for you......

aren't the burgao the small ones that they sell on the beaches?
I've always thought they were not the same as the larger lambi that come in the big shells you can also buy on the beaches as the flavour is slightly different.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
i did a search on lambi bc i was wanting to know what it was in english...so is CONCH the word for lambi in english? never heard of that before...if so, is it a type of snail? crab? all i know is that its good stuff and when i describe it to others, im lost when they ask me "well, what is it??" uhhhh....

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lambi/Conch is a mollusk

audboogie said:
i did a search on lambi bc i was wanting to know what it was in english...so is CONCH the word for lambi in english? never heard of that before...if so, is it a type of snail? crab? all i know is that its good stuff and when i describe it to others, im lost when they ask me "well, what is it??" uhhhh....

And lives in a lovely pink and tan spiral shell which you sometimes see made into a horn and blown by natives in movies depicting tropical settings. I personally had no idea it was edible (let alone so delicous) until being introduced to Lambi in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The seafood section on the Dominican Cooking site hasn't got Lambi a la vinagreta but there are one or two recipes for Lambi there.

Maybe you could find a recipe for the Spanish octopus dish 'Pulpo a la vinagreta' and adapt it?

May 31, 2005
Conchman said:
also try Bahamian conch salad -

Dice the conch into small cubes, make sure you skin the black part of the conch before. Make sure you clean out the conch 'guts' if they are not cleaned already (the sandy sticky stuff underneath the pink part).

Add onions, green peppers, celery, and tomatoe cubes about the same size.

Add hot peppers diced if so desired (if doesnt put beads of sweat on your forehead, its not hot enough).

Add salt

Squeeze plenty of lime juice and sour orange, enough to where the level reaches half way up to the bowl. This means many many limes, maybe 2/3 lime juice and 1/3 sour orange (not sure what this fruit is called in the DR).

Mix it up and serve in a cup and spoon.

Sour orange is naranja agria.