Crime wave not easing up yet...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well I hate to post this because alot of fearful folks will be discouraged from visiting, which is a shame, because even with the increased incidences in violent crime in the country of late the crime rate is still significantly lower than most other places (in terms of violent crimes anyway, non violent crime, petty theft, etc. is of course rampant as in all 3rd world countries)

But it does seem to me from a purely observational standpoint that everyday these incidences are getting closer to home.

Last night a friend of the family was robbed on the Santiago overpass by robbers who had parked their cars at the top of the overpass pretending to have a typical Dominican "let's block traffic" conversation in the middle of the road. They didn't take his car, but they did take the keys so it would take him longer to report the crime.

Last week the manager of my Santo Domingo store was car-jacked coming out of an ATM, and beaten pretty bad. (pistol-whipped) They got the car but it was recovered a few blocks away because Hector doesn't ever keep more than a few drops of gas in the tank. I guess some bad habits pay off eventually.

I wonder when all this will end up, I know Leonel claims to be doing all he can to patrol the streets more, but it doesn't seem to be slowing the crime wave down any.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
99% of tourists will never be a victim of crime here. The sad thing is it just gives more amunition to the All-Inclusive resorts in regards to staying inside the compound.

In the last few days, I have seen an increase in cops out and about on streets in Santo Domingo. I'm not sure how long it will last or how effective it really is, but at least it is a deterent... of sorts.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Robert said:
99% of tourists will never be a victim of crime here. The sad thing is it just gives more amunition to the All-Inclusive resorts in regards to staying inside the compound.

In the last few days, I have seen an increase in cops out and about on streets in Santo Domingo. I'm not sure how long it will last or how effective it really is, but at least it is a deterent... of sorts.

Hey Rob i've seen lots of Hummers (POLICIA NACIONAL) Black HEADS (CASCOS NEGROS) all over at night and last night they stop my SUZUKI GRAND VITARA and ask me if i lived in the area.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
we need heavy duty police patrol all over the DR, 24 hours a day. These cops need to be focused on their jobs and fully enforce the laws and be ready for some steam nights with less than ideal citizens of this country.

Cuba had a rash of muggings and killings in 2000, by 2002, things were not easing up, especially in Havana. Castro order police patrol 24 hours a day and the cops obviously enforced their authority quite well because today, Havana and the rest of Cuba could be said to be crime free compared to just last year!

I know Cuba is different from the DR in the sense that Cuba is strictly controlled by the state, but when it comes to drastic times we need to take drastic steps to ensure the security of all.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I read on one on-line newspaper the other day (Wednesday I think it was) that 42% of Dominican families have been affected by ocurances of the present crime wave, during the last 4 months. I know that Dominican family ties are pretty extensive but 42% - in the last 4 months??????

I agree with the comment that tourists are unlikely to suffer from this crime wave (although I would see the figure nearer the 95% rather than 99%) but if left unchecked, it is only a matter of time before these attacks on people extends into that area & the 'hit' rate on tourists expands to be nearer the 85/90%. THAT would really hit our tourist market. Me thinks it is time for the HEAVY hand of law enforcement to be introduced & SHOWN that it has been introduced!! ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

kaliek

Aug 31, 2004
Crime Is every where!!!

Okay folks lets be real... How many of you are venturing outside of the comfort of your all inclucive resorts? When I was there me and my homie was all over the place deep in the cut as it were.(about 3 weeks ago) At no time while visiting the "Barrio"/Hood" did we ever feel threatned by locals or witnessed any type of crime..Yes some of the people are hell bent on seperating you from your money but always remember (A fool as his/her money is soon parted) meaning the same rules apply in the DR just like it does at home...To me I could not visit this beautiful Country and not the people!! We spent maybe 2 out of 9 nights in the Hotel... Why? cause all the action was in the street!! you know kind of when in Rome... Yes I saw things that Im sure I will never see again ;) like that one legged working girl that I saw in Boca Chica!!! but the overall trip was wonderful. Sort of like reading some of what is mentioned here but just like any source of information its open to interpertation...You cant live your life thru other peoples expierences!!! you have to go see for yourself...In Santo Domingo the police did mention to my homie that he should'nt wear his gold chain swinging around is neck(and that was in the day time) (yes he should've known better)other than that it was cool.I will admitt that at night I did'nt see any patrol cars or police for that matter so in that regard I can see how some folks would be afraid..Also when visiting some new friends in places that cars would'nt or could'nt go I never saw any police(we call it up in the cut) based on how the streets curve but again there were no problems. It's your choice and im sure everybody cant get down like we did but it's much nicer (I think) to meet and eat with the people beyond the working women/girls or guys for that matter that some people here seem to know only about... Hell I cant wait to get back In January!! matter of fact niether can she!! LOL...MY new friend people not the working girl hahhaha very funny...

Last edited:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Why is the crime wave now?

I mean things have been worst during the (bank scandal/ exchange ratio/power outage ) situation here. And I know clamping down is a must, but can the government really afford a clampdown finacially?

I guess I'm back to the origional question . . . why a crime wave now . . . I mean some one said it was because (organized crime was a partner in the Hippolito presidency) and now that "they" are out of office, there back in more mundane crime.

I know I'm shooting from the hip, but why now, and is it generaly for finacial gain?

-Lee

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good question

I am thinking that there is a little of several issues involved here.

The huge number of people that have graduate degrees in crime form Dominnican and United States prisons.

The serious economic crisis still facing hundreds of thousands of Dominicans every day.

A "Let the dogs loose" policy by segments of the PRD that will shake the Police to their foundations.

The newly instituted Penal Code that is modeled on US codes and European codes, but is being applied to Dominicans. This new process effectively handcuffs police from acting in all but the most blatent cases. For example in the case of Casa Lama, the DA told the Customs people that unless they get a court order (a judge's warrent) they cannot search the largest commercial establishment in the middle of Santo Domingo for evidence of tax evasion. Anything found would be inadmissable in court...And this is a civil thing, not criminal. The cops have no crime lab worth talking about.

So, as MrMike so clearly and succinctly put it let the PN dogs lose and you will see a crime rate plummet. Ten or twenty dead robbers in a week will be good business for the funeral parlors of the barrios, but the word will get out...Even Freddy BEras Goico told his audience that in Trujillo's times there was no robbery...everyone "knew" what happened to robbers.

That is going to happen in a month or so when every one is up to here with this violence.

HB :(:(:(

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
a country whose main source of income is tourism can't afford to get a reputation as an unsafe destination. if they want to keep the reputation they have now, they'll have to be more agresive towards the criminals.

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Sad Sad

I just talked to a friend and she was robbed in broad daylight today in front of her own house by teenage boys with knives while talking to her neighbor with her daughter and niece. It's sad sad.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lambada said:
Would the figures of 99% or 95% of all tourists unaffected by crime include the 30% at Samana who wanted to leave after the 2 recent murders there, or would it not (include them)?
http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=26340

That's an isolated incident. We are talking in general and overall terms.
The vast majority (99% or 95%) of tourists will not be effected by crime here.

I guess it would be easier for you to lean over and ask Bushbaby about his 95% estimate...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ALB3 said:
I just talked to a friend and she was robbed in broad daylight today in front of her own house by teenage boys with knives while talking to her neighbor with her daughter and niece. It's sad sad.

I heard a similar story the other day of 2 old ladies that got robbed on their porch in Sanchez Luperon. The neighbors caught the kid and beat him to a pulp. The police arrived, beat what was left of him, scrapped him off the street and that was the last time anyone has seen the kid.

Why did the kid try and rob 2 elderly people in broad daylight? I guess, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Whatever the reason, I'm sure he will not be doing it again anytime in the near future.
Now that's what I call justice!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe It's Because I'm Ugly and Weigh 400 Pounds???

But I have been visiting the DR since when I was "better" looking,and weighed 235 pounds! (About 20 Years!) But I have never been robbed,beaten,or mugged!(Unless you count all the maids who like to take home a few "extras" on Saturday afternoon,and my wife's brothers who like my tools a "LOT!"))I think that 99% figure is too low!!!!!!!I seriously doubt that 1 of every 100 tourists who visit here are robbed.Where do you think we are London??? Miami??Rome???;)

As far as the "Why should tourists worry,it was Dominicans who got shot" theory goes,lots of men and women are just "Funny" that way!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Would You People Stop Helping Destroy Our Tourist Industry!!!

My God Almighty! People here really love the "chismes" and create "bochinches"!!!

People, here is a thought.

Not so long ago, I read on another board an American woman (or at least I think its a woman) who was warning everybody from going to the DR, because of what SHE READ ON DR1 FORUMS ABOUT CRIME HERE!

Oh, but that is not the interesting part.

She claims that the DR is filled with evil people, that its better for people to head to (hold on to your seats), JAMAICA OR PUERTO RICO BECAUSE SHE SAYS ITS SAFER THERE!

Now, lets think for a moment. Puerto Rico has a murder rate 4 TIMES HIGHER than mainland US, thus higher than in the DR.

Jamaica is pretty lawless compared to the DR where marijuana can be sold on the street as if it was just another "medicine" and killings occur in crowded neighborhoods where people just watch the criminal kill the innocent bystander and they do absolutely nothing!

Now, those two places are much much more dangerous than the DR, everybody knows that for sure!

So, here is the thing. Electronic forums on Jamaica and Puerto Rico are not bombarded by over sensitive highly blowing off proportion peoples like here on DR1. You don't hear about murders in PR or JM(for Jamaica), but on DR1, the DR appears to be a living hell, worst than those two destinations when the TRUTH IS THE OPPOSITE!

In short, people stop this OH THE CRIME, OH THE CRIME, whining! Things are not that bad here, sure there is more crime, but its a heck lot safer than in PR and JM and yet, thanks to many here foreigners are perceiving the DR to be more dangerous than the two most dangerous islands in the entire HEMISPHERE!

Why are foreigners starting to feel afraid? Not because of the crimes, but because people on the #1 DR site are overblowing these things out of proportion!! Learn from the Puerto Rican and Jamaican sites, don't say anything about crime. Those two islands are doing much much worst crimewise and yet, they are receiving more tourist per capita than the DR is, because people obsessed with the DR are all a bunch of "chismosos" who like to always be in a "bochinche" state of mind.

Could the Doom of DR tourism lie on this website instead on the actual crime numbers which are still rediculously low?

I think people underestimate the power of DR1! People are reading this site and they are making decisions based on all the OPINIONS HERE and instead they are heading to real harmsway because they perceive the DR to be much worst that PR or JM!

Please people, keep it low. The crime wave is called a crime wave because its more than it used to be, but its still safe!

The police will do their best to handle these problems and we must do our part to protect our tourism much in the same way that PR and JM are protecting their own, despite their living conditions especially in San Juan and Kingston!

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Crime is only gettin worse now

according to the news of november 8 2004 , haitians are now taking Dominican children for ransom ,plus the haitian authorities are helping the haitian criminals escape and further hold the children for ransom in exchange for haitian prisoners in DR .This is very very dangerous considering they re all over DR and if it starts to become too much of a problem the crackdown on haitians will not only be the criminals but also the innocent people ,which would not be a good thing either .If Haitians are startin to get rotten then the problem has gotten too out of hand

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Robert said:
I heard a similar story the other day of 2 old ladies that got robbed on their porch in Sanchez Luperon. The neighbors caught the kid and beat him to a pulp. The police arrived, beat what was left of him, scrapped him off the street and that was the last time anyone has seen the kid.

Why did the kid try and rob 2 elderly people in broad daylight? I guess, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Whatever the reason, I'm sure he will not be doing it again anytime in the near future.
Now that's what I call justice!

Anyone who has lived in the US for more than a month should recognize that street crime here is petty. My only experience in 2 years here was a 6 year year old with a screwdriver who knew enough English to say "Gimmie all your money". When I threw 5 pesos on the street he jumped into traffic after it and I left.

I remember several occations in Miami where I had guns (some with laser pointers) pointed at me.

Whoever it was that posted the risks of over-hyping the crime here is correct. Anyone considering moving to or visiting the DR should NOT worry about crime. The only thing to fear here is the exchange rate.