mosquito repellant

blueblood

Oct 17, 2004
On a previous trip to the DR, I purchased a mosquito repellant I believe was named Johnsons OFF. Since returning to the UK I have attempted to buy some here without success. Does anybody have details of the manufacturer so i can contact them direct.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If it was the American Off! it is the most common brand of repellent in North America, and I think it is Johnson and Johnson. It may not be in the UK, but any good repellent with DEET of at least 20% is pretty good. We Canadians use Muskol as well which is a local product, and more potent than Off!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
blueblood said:
On a previous trip to the DR, I purchased a mosquito repellant I believe was named Johnsons OFF. Since returning to the UK I have attempted to buy some here without success. Does anybody have details of the manufacturer so i can contact them direct.

I have never seen it in the UK.

Their site: http://www.mosquitoes.com/

UKJERRY

Sep 6, 2004
Mozzie Repellant!

Boots sell their own brand of repellant which contains 50% Deet !! I bought 3 bottles last week in Hull using the current 3 for 2 offer (?5.99 each)
'fill yer boots quick'!!

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
DEET is very dangerous!

watch out how you use DEET. yes, it is the only really effective way to repel the mosquitos. but be careful.

it is not even supposed to go on your skin. you're supposed to apply it to clothing only. of course, everyone puts it directly on skin. small children should not use DEET.

there are cases of people becoming very ill from constant re-applications to their skin while camping... and not bathing regularily. over 3-5 days, they become toxic and can suffer kidney and liver failure. of course, i assume people will bathe while in the DR!

this substance was banned in Canada and then re-introduced in a lower concentration.

you're much better off to just use some common sense. the little critters are out in force and hour before and and hour after sunset. wear socks and light pants and maybe a dress shirt. or just stay inside until the worst of them has passed.

if you live in a mosiquito area, consider getting a propane "trap" that attracts mosquitos and finishes them off. they take about two weeks of operation to become effective and can cover a large area. i live near alot of wetland areas and our neighbours swear by these. not 100% effective, but close.

Last edited:

UKJERRY

Sep 6, 2004
Deet !!

Thanks for that advice Gregg! I have checked the bottles and their is little to warn people of 'serious consequences' whilst using the product.

Yes, I will ensure my family take regular showers! (as usual!!!)

Regards....

Jerry

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
we have stricter label laws on DEET

UKJERRY said:
Thanks for that advice Gregg! I have checked the bottles and their is little to warn people of 'serious consequences' whilst using the product.

Yes, I will ensure my family take regular showers! (as usual!!!)

Regards....

Jerry

DEET is an organic solvent absorbed through the skin, gut and via inhalation.

Some information from a governmental health association in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Products with DEET are required to carry instructions that they should not be used at all for children under 6 months. Additional required warnings state that for children 6 months to 2 years, only concentrations of less than 10% DEET should be used, and only once a day. For children from 2 -12 years old, only concentrations under 10% should be used, and repellents should not be applied more than 3 times a day.

For adults, Health Canada has now banned products with DEET concentrations over 30%, citing health risks and evidence that increasing the percentage does not do much more to repel insects. Health Canada has also banned two in one products which combine sunscreen and DEET, saying they create the potential for people be exposed to too much DEET.

Products containing DEET are now required to carry labels which specify:

-Do not apply over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.
-Do not apply to hands or near eyes and mouth of young children.
-Do not allow young children to apply this product.
-After returning indoors, wash treated skin with soap and water.
-Do not use under clothing.
-Do not spray in enclosed areas

So there you have it. We do use alot of it here in Canada. I'd rather itch a little. I would only use DEET if I were going into a jungle, swamp or very heavy woods. There, the mosiquitos can drive you insane. But for travel to a resort where they spray already? Not worth it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Autan is the brand sold in the UK, and it's also available in the DR. It works well enough. I like the 'sensitive skin' variety that is sold in a white tube. I prefer the creams to the sprays, sticks or oily lotions.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This is what I would suggest

Buy a bottle of pure Vanilla Extract, This is what we use here in the DR
and it works like a charm, Just apply it to your skin and they will go elsewere.