Rebels

DenisS

Oct 18, 2004
Greetings. Probably it is a silly question. I'd like to ask about rebels of Haiti. In our press i read about crisis in this state, thosands of rebels. Is it right? What you think is it dangeorous situation for DR people? And for tourists?

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
No, as far as I know

Haiti chaos doesn't affect tourists nor dominicans living far from the border.

Not reason to panic!! ;)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
DenisS said:
Greetings. Probably it is a silly question. I'd like to ask about rebels of Haiti. In our press i read about crisis in this state, thosands of rebels. Is it right? What you think is it dangeorous situation for DR people? And for tourists?

You do realize that the D.R. and Haiti are 2 different countries right?

DenisS

Oct 18, 2004
Thanks for information

Thanks.
Tony, i didn't understand your question. Yes - 2 different countries, but the same island. One part of island is in chaos, other - paradise for tourists. So, i thought that this situation could be dangerous for paradise people. But, i've recived answer - no problems. Thanks.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Didn't you know?

The rebels drive across the border at night under cover of darkness and head straight for Sosua where they ransack the local supermarket, rape and murder local women, stock up on Brugal and Marlboro at Super Super, perform Voodoo rituals in my garden and then go home again every morning.

Sir, can I suggest that you buy a slightly more "informed" newspaper?

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Information Please!!

Simon & Nicky could you please inform me the newspaper both of you are reading to get the rigth information?
Since Sosua is far from the haitian border your story is hard to believe to me ! :eek:

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Since Haiti gained its independence from the French in 1804, that part of the island for the most part has been in political turmoil. Nothing has changed over all these years. Dominicans have learned to live with the chaos in Haiti, looking the other way. Actually, unless you live in a fronteir town, it doesn't affect Dominicans with the exception of an increase in illegal migration. Since tourist areas are far from the border, it has no effect at all on tourism.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
DenisS said:
Thanks.
Tony, i didn't understand your question. Yes - 2 different countries, but the same island. One part of island is in chaos, other - paradise for tourists. So, i thought that this situation could be dangerous for paradise people. But, i've recived answer - no problems. Thanks.

*Sigh* Yes, yes, 2 countries 1 island. You do understand that in order for Haiti's rebels to seriously influence the Dominican Republic's people and it's visitors it would have to "invade" the Dominican Republic. Now seriously, you don't believe that this is going to happen do you.... or do you? Many countries on this planet in chaos border other countries that are safe. Why would these two countries be any different? Come down and enjoy the Dominican Republic and stop worrying about such absurd things.

Scotty

DenisS

Oct 18, 2004
Thanks all

Thank you Scotty, thanks all.
I Said : "probably it's a silly question". I'm glad that isn't silly question, it's simply absurd thing. I live very far from your beatiful country, and for me was very interesting to talk with you. I don't trust to our travel agent's. I'm russian journalist and prefer to receive firsthand information. Ok, I start to study spanish. And I'm going to visit DR in December. Hasta la vista. Ahora estoy en que este viaje será inolvidable. :cool:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
DenisS said:
I Said : "probably it's a silly question". I'm glad that isn't silly question, it's simply absurd thing. I live very far from your beatiful country, and for me was very interesting to talk with you. I don't trust to our travel agent's. I'm russian journalist and prefer to receive firsthand information. Ok, I start to study spanish. And I'm going to visit DR in December. Hasta la vista. Ahora estoy en que este viaje ser? inolvidable. :cool:
DenisS

I hope you enjoy what this beautiful country has to offer!

Scotty

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
DenisS said:
I Said : "probably it's a silly question". I'm glad that isn't silly question, it's simply absurd thing. I live very far from your beatiful country, and for me was very interesting to talk with you. I don't trust to our travel agent's. I'm russian journalist and prefer to receive firsthand information. Ok, I start to study spanish. And I'm going to visit DR in December. Hasta la vista. Ahora estoy en que este viaje ser? inolvidable. :cool:

Hearing where you are from makes your concerns more understandable.

franco

Nov 5, 2003
sweetdbt said:
Hearing where you are from makes your concerns more understandable.

And where are you from? Is it more safe in USA or in Europe than in Russia regarding terrorism? Everybody have their own Chechnya: IRA in UK, Basque in Spain, Iraq in USA, Osama worldwide, etc...

DenisS

Oct 18, 2004
wow

franco said:
And where are you from? Is it more safe in USA or in Europe than in Russia regarding terrorism? Everybody have their own Chechnya: IRA in UK, Basque in Spain, Iraq in USA, Osama worldwide, etc...

Iraq in USA?? It's something new. I thought that it is in the Middle East :surprised
But really I think you are almost right. Of course, there are a lot of details and nicety, but generally you are right

Last edited:

franco

Nov 5, 2003
DenisS said:
Iraq in USA?? It's something new. I thought that it is in the Middle East :surprised
But really I think you are almost right. Of course, there are a lot of details and nicety, but generally you are right

Iraq is a problem of the USA, I said it's in the United States using imagery. Ne vosprinimay vsjo bukval'no.

DenisS

Oct 18, 2004
franco said:
Iraq is a problem of the USA, I said it's in the United States using imagery. Ne vosprinimay vsjo bukval'no.

Klass!!! Svoi!!! A ty v DR zhivesh'?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
my, aren't we sensitive!

franco said:

Franco,

Perhaps I jumped to a conclusion, but I don't think it was a great leap to think that perhaps DenisS, who headed his original question "Rebels", may have been concerned about the fact that the English-speaking media uses that term (as opposed to "dissidents, insurgents, ad nausium") to describe the anti-government forces in both Haiti and in Russia, and therefore there may appear to be more similarity between them than there actually is. At least I didn't insinuate that he is stupid, as other members of the board did.

I understand that people face risks from terrorists in other parts of the world, including the US, where I am a citizen. The fact is that I am no doubt safer in this regard when visiting the DR than I would be in many places in the US, (although I could imagine a scenario where Al Queda zealots brought down the wrath of Allah on Long Beach in POP or certain areas of Sosua for the "activities" that are prevelant there.) ;)

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Because Twilight and I were moving down here at the time the US media were playing up the problems in Haiti, everyone I know asked us about it. Many of them didn't let up until I asked how they could be in the US with all the kidnappings in Mexico city... that normally worked.

I feel safer in Sosua than in most places in the US; although the hotel safe broken open with travelers cheque stubs scattered around on Clisante made me a bit concerned for my property.

The US media will portray the upset Haitians as best fits their business agenda. They will play up incidents making Aristide look bad as the US government wants this. Anyone opposing the new Haitian government will be portrayed in the worst possible light. If some people really are dangerous its everywhere on the nightly news.