POP Carnival

paradise

Oct 18, 2004
Hola!
Does anyone know the exact date of the carnival in March 2005 in POP? I am planning a trip there around that time and want to be sure to book my flight so we don't miss it. I've searched DR1 and google with no luck.
Thanks!

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Go to La Vega!

If you will be coming to the DR in February, go see the carnival goings-on in La Vega, 50 miles southeast of Puerto Plata. It is by far the best and best-attended, every Sunday in February (best are the 3rd and 4th of the month) and on the 27th which is the national independence day.

Puerto Plata has a carnival parade sometime in early March which is ok but the best one (in spite of the huge crowds) is in Santo Domingo.

R.Dennis

Apr 1, 2004
Santo Domingo Carnival?

When is the Carnival in Santo Domingo and the exact dates?

Spirit7 said:
If you will be coming to the DR in February, go see the carnival goings-on in La Vega, 50 miles southeast of Puerto Plata. It is by far the best and best-attended, every Sunday in February (best are the 3rd and 4th of the month) and on the 27th which is the national independence day.

Puerto Plata has a carnival parade sometime in early March which is ok but the best one (in spite of the huge crowds) is in Santo Domingo.

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
First or second sunday of March

Unfortunately it's too early to tell and it varies somewhat from year to year but the carnival parade, representing every corner of the island's diverse ways of celebration and costumes, is held on either the first or second sunday in March.

It starts off fairly well organized at around 4 or 5 pm but by 6 or 7 the George Washington Avenue or seafront 'Malecon' is wall to wall people and the parade struggles to make it thru. It's plenty of fun though if you don't freak with so many diverse, loud and boisterous Dominicans all around you.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I could be wrong...

but I thought the carnival was always held on Independence Day which is Feb. 27th (or is it the 28th - can't quite remember now) At least it always was when I lived there. Just watch out for the kids with the balloons that are filled with a mysterious black liquid!!!
Marlie

Last edited:

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Independence Day

marliejaneca said:
but I thought the carnival was always held on Independence Day which is Feb. 27th (or is it the 28th - can't quite remember now) At least it always was when I lived there. Just watch out for the kids with the balloons that are filled with a mysterious black liquid!!!
Marlie

On independence day there is a military parade in the Malecon so they can't have the carnival parade on that day. The kids with costumes on carry pig bladders filled with air and they hit you with them. The mysterious black liquid is used engine oil that some of the poorer people put on to beg. That is, they are painted in black oil from head to toe and go around asking for money and if you don't 'cooperate' you risk them getting too close to you and dirtying you up.

By the way in La Vega many years ago they used to hit you also with bladders filled up with air and put into a cloth bag but now it has evolved into motorcycle inner tubes pumped up hard as a rock and the cloth bag they hit you with many times feels like a rock. It is being regulated but still most of those things are way too hard and it's really an ugly game. I have had my shares of black and blue thighs and butts as are most people that risk getting hit by the 'devils' in La Vega. Again, every Sunday in February.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Well that is interesting, a military parade on the Malecon, before it was just a huge party with the huge "Brugal" speakers, dancing in the street, people drinking and eating sugar cane sticks!!! Is this something new that they don't have the celebration on Independence day now?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Carnaval La Vega

Yes it sure can hurt getting hit with one of those things. Last years was the first time in 3-4 years I did not make it to Carnaval in La Vega. I was bummed!

This year I will do my best to get to La Vega, and maybe some other towns to see different carnaval celebrations etc. I would love to see the bullwhip fights in Monte Christi. I tried going last year, but there were no hotel rooms available in Monte Christi!

Here is a clip of Carnaval from La Vega in 2003, gives you a little idea of the craziness!

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/videopages/carnaval.html

for modem users. . . .yuk here is a dial up version

http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/videopages/carnaval_dialup.html

It sure is a lot of "fun" getting whacked in the butt while trying to video tape!

Spirit7 said:
On independence day there is a military parade in the Malecon so they can't have the carnival parade on that day. The kids with costumes on carry pig bladders filled with air and they hit you with them. The mysterious black liquid is used engine oil that some of the poorer people put on to beg. That is, they are painted in black oil from head to toe and go around asking for money and if you don't 'cooperate' you risk them getting too close to you and dirtying you up.

By the way in La Vega many years ago they used to hit you also with bladders filled up with air and put into a cloth bag but now it has evolved into motorcycle inner tubes pumped up hard as a rock and the cloth bag they hit you with many times feels like a rock. It is being regulated but still most of those things are way too hard and it's really an ugly game. I have had my shares of black and blue thighs and butts as are most people that risk getting hit by the 'devils' in La Vega. Again, every Sunday in February.

elemi

Oct 23, 2004
Also planing to go to DR for carnival

Hi there!

I?m also planning to go to DR for carnival. I?m working on a personal project related with carnivals in Latinamerica... it?s a photographic project so I wanted to know which of all the cities in DR is the most interesting from its cultural point of view and, of course, from its visual and photographic point of view. Please also specify the exact dates because I need to organize myself. Is it a problem to get a hotel room on these carnival dates and does prices go up? I also want to know which other places in DR are interesting for taking pictures. Any information you can give me will be very usefull.

Thanks!

Emiliano