Forced vacation over x-mas

R_Marks

Oct 19, 2004
I have been employed by a DR company for several years now. Normally, Christmas is very busy and we would only have 2 days off; Christmas day and New Years day.
This year the company is planning to close for the week of xmas (or longer) and that time off, will be subtracted from our regular, yearly 2 week vacation.
Is that legal? This effectively cuts my "real" vacation in half or more.
Can I be forced to take a vacation I don't want, and have that time ( = money) subtracted from my yearly holiday? I might add that some people in the company have already had their vacations, so the week will be directly deducted from their regular pay. sheeeese... :cross-eye

portcityplaya

Oct 10, 2004
It's legal here in the U.S.

The company I work for shuts down it's factory this year from Dec. 27th - 30th and some of those days are automatically deducted from the factory employees vacation. They do it every year. I don't think it's illegal to dictate certain vacation days to coincide with a company being closed. Is it right, in my opinion, no. Just my $.02

James

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A company can establish what is called ?collective vacations? (?vacaciones colectivas?) for all its employees at some time during the year. ?Collective vacations? at Christmas time are very common.

By the way, minimum vacation time is NOT two weeks per year. It?s 14 working days, that is, almost 3 weeks if the employee works a five-day week.

Fred Dorfman

Apr 19, 2004
Article 186

Fabio J. Guzman said:
A company can establish what is called ?collective vacations? (?vacaciones colectivas?) for all its employees at some time during the year. ?Collective vacations? at Christmas time are very common.

By the way, minimum vacation time is NOT two weeks per year. It?s 14 working days, that is, almost 3 weeks if the employee works a five-day week.

Doesn't Article 186 of the Labor Code mandate that employers must announce within within the first 15 days in January the vacation period of every worker?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Yes, it does but unless you have taken your employer to court to force him to give your vacation at some other time, he can still decide at a later date to give ?collective vacations? at Xmas to all his employees.