Libraries

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
are there any libraries in the PoP or Sosua area?

we will be moving to Sosua soon (!!!!) and we would like to know what our options are for accessing good ol' printed reading material called BOOKS.

looking for public, private or academic libraries that we can access.
books in Spanish or English. general fiction and non-fiction, not periodicals.

if NO, NO and No... then would anyone be interested in starting a private library just like in the old days with Benjamin Franklin?

thanx

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A few of us swop books on a fairly regular basis. And then there are a few places where you can leave a few books and take a few books (mostly of the pulp fiction variety, good for going to sleep by). Rockies sometimes has a few books on the shelf and Sosua Business Services usually has a few books on a shelf. There are two more 'formalized' book exchanges (I know Ken's wife Barbara has something to do with one book exchange in Sosua - forgive my ignorance if I'm not reporting this correctly) and I know of one book exchange in the Cabarete area. If one is desperate, Productos Sosua usually has a few bestsellers on the shelf - both in Sosua and in Cabarete.

I really think we can all do with something more formal with regular hours. Count me in for starting a North Coast Library... :classic:

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
I believe a private library will be beneficial to pop

I believe a private library would be very beneficial for the pop community. It will serves Local nationals , tourists and foreign nationals as an educational tools and get away from the daily routine and resorts as well. The only problems will be that if you let books to be checked out you will have to know who can or can?t check books out. People will tend to walk with it and never return them or just do not let books to be ckecked out. As you know public library in the DR do not allow books to be checked out. Only Schools allow books to be ckecked out during the school year to registered SS, and do not allow anyone browse through the books stacks; books are normallly hidden behind a counter or desk. Ss have to fill out a book request slip to get them, something i find troublesome and kind of stop people from educating themselves. Nevertheless, I will be glad to joint effort to have one here.

Last edited:

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
crazy man!

bienvenido said:
I believe a private library would be very positive for thpop community. the only problem is that you will have to know who you let take books out or just don?t allow them to be checked out. As you know public library in the DR do not allow books to be checked out. Only Schools sllow students to check books out, but they do not allow Ss to browse their books stacks; they have to fill out a book request slip to get them. I think istroublesome to have to go to a library desk every time you need a book. one can?t just relax looking throught the books until you find the one you like. A library is plus but it must be supported by the community with somekind of donation .

that sounds very cumbersome. doesn't do much to promote reading with the students. i find it very hard to just order a book as i grew up browsing and i treasure that time.

a private library is very simple and can be done. i'll expand more in my reply to Chris.

is there actually a public library in Sosua or POP then (granted no books can leave the building)?

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
Chris said:
A few of us swop books on a fairly regular basis. And then there are a few places where you can leave a few books and take a few books (mostly of the pulp fiction variety, good for going to sleep by). Rockies sometimes has a few books on the shelf and Sosua Business Services usually has a few books on a shelf. There are two more 'formalized' book exchanges (I know Ken's wife Barbara has something to do with one book exchange in Sosua - forgive my ignorance if I'm not reporting this correctly) and I know of one book exchange in the Cabarete area. If one is desperate, Productos Sosua usually has a few bestsellers on the shelf - both in Sosua and in Cabarete.

I really think we can all do with something more formal with regular hours. Count me in for starting a North Coast Library... :classic:

i have seen the books at Rocky's (some good ones, would be through them inside of a week) and i did see the posting at the Supermarket for the book exchange service. problem was they were mostly pulp fiction as you stated. i do enjoy reading the current novels as a break from the weightier stuff. i am an avid reader and i will read anything i can.

however, i am looking more towards the classics in literature. maybe some philosophy, poetry, business, history et cetera. some good meaty stuff once you've caught up on the best sellers. even some good books for children.

a private library is pretty simple in design and is how most libraries were
started:

1) a small group of people act as founders with contributions in cash and any books they may have. a simple, basic charter is drawn up stating our goals and intentions.

2) new members are then allowed to join the library if they are sponsored/vouchsafed by an existing member. they would pay a fee to join and would be encouraged to donate books.

3) the number of books allowed at one time is low (under 5) and any serious defaulters are excluded from the group. that person's sponsor is ulitmately responsible for their actions. you might have new members post a security deposit or something...

4) you grow the membership to an agreed upon size that is comfortable for everyone. each member has a vested interest in the library.

5) the space required for hosting the library can be fairly simple. no staffing required as the honour system is used. a few comfy chairs and voila! no computers, no TV, no radio just the steady hum of the ceiling fan and lots of books.

6) other languages can be added once the library is established (Spanish/German/Hebrew...).

7) some method of offering books and access to others can be arranged as a way of contributing into the Sosua community. this might take the form of Spanish children's books or something useful. perhaps access on certain days to browse and read (probably not sign out books though).

there you go. i will tackle this when we move to Sosua (Jan-Mar timeframe). i'll be bringing all of my books to seed the project. i am sure others would get in the swing of things too. just think of all the good, used book stores in Canada, US etc... where the book hounds can source decent books and bring them back to the DR in their luggage. they don't have to be pretty, just a good price and good content.

anyone else interested?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nice ideas there, Gregg.

You might wish to contact the volunteers who run the Helen Kellogg library in Santo Domingo for some advice based on their experience. This library has been going since the late 70s, it is very well-run and has a reasonably up-to- date collection. One thing they do is have a monthly book sale of donated books, duplicates and books that have not been checked out for a certain amount of time. The funds go towards the upkeep of the library and the purchase of new books. There is a small annual membership fee and of course a fine system.

I am but a lowly member, not a volunteer, but if you want to be put in touch with one of the volunteers please PM me with your contact details. I will be going to the library on Thursday morning!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Nice ideas there, Gregg.

You might wish to contact the volunteers who run the Helen Kellogg library in Santo Domingo for some advice based on their experience. This library has been going since the late 70s, it is very well-run and has a reasonably up-to- date collection. One thing they do is have a monthly book sale of donated books, duplicates and books that have not been checked out for a certain amount of time. The funds go towards the upkeep of the library and the purchase of new books. There is a small annual membership fee and of course a fine system.

I am but a lowly member, not a volunteer, but if you want to be put in touch with one of the volunteers please PM me with your contact details. I will be going to the library on Thursday morning!

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I used to be a member until I started working (for some reason I ran out of time...) and I really enjoyed going there. There's even a room for children's books and quite a good selection. If I were you I'd contact them to see if they'd agree to help you...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'd be willing to donate the books I have here in the DR (some classics, some junk and some popular novels - around 50 or so that I can bear to part with) and make a cash donation to get started...

I also have an idea as to venue but will check out my facts first and then correspond via pm.

Do you have an idea as to what the charter of intent should include?

And, I think an important question - is there anyone that possibly is doing this already?

Escott, Mark, if you're reading this, and if everyone is in agreement, would you perhaps add to the "price" of the thanksgiving dinner the possible donation of a book or few?

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Gregg said:
....classics in literature. maybe some philosophy, poetry, business, history et cetera. some good meaty stuff once you've caught up on the best sellers.

gregg, i have approximately 6-10 boxes of books that belonged to my parents, mostly hard cover and definitely not pulp fiction, some old and some new. i was hoping to donate them to somewhere where they would be appreciated rather than just shipping them off to Goodwill. If there is any practical way to ship them down to POP I would be happy to donate them to your library, or anyone elses who might be interested. PM me if you are interested.

mob

cork

Aug 23, 2003
books

Gregg said:
are there any libraries in the PoP or Sosua area?

we will be moving to Sosua soon (!!!!) and we would like to know what our options are for accessing good ol' printed reading material called BOOKS.

looking for public, private or academic libraries that we can access.
books in Spanish or English. general fiction and non-fiction, not periodicals.

if NO, NO and No... then would anyone be interested in starting a private library just like in the old days with Benjamin Franklin?

thanx

Gregg,

You can count on us for about 1000 books. Many cookbooks and some pretty neat stuff, like Tolstoi, Eliot and Twain. (My grandmother's). Also have many hard and soft cover novels, college text books and 1960 era encyclopedias.

We will living in Sosua permanently in about 6 months. The books will be in the container.

cork

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
wow, what a response

cork said:
Gregg,

You can count on us for about 1000 books. Many cookbooks and some pretty neat stuff, like Tolstoi, Eliot and Twain. (My grandmother's). Also have many hard and soft cover novels, college text books and 1960 era encyclopedias.

We will living in Sosua permanently in about 6 months. The books will be in the container.

cork

looks like i will be starting a library when i arrive!

thank you to everyone for your generous offers. maybe i am getting ahead of myself as i still need to get re-located to Sosua. we plan (based on the sale of some real estate) to be there by January or February. of course, that's in DR time... so a library will follow in a few months time. should we say this spring?

any input from the ol' boys would be appreciated...like if it is being done already.

very refreshing that so many would like to help. maybe the book is not dead yet!!

a good facililty would be appreciated. just something basic that could be donated to a worthy effort. i'll provide paint, renovating skills and lots of elbow grease. i will also provide all of my books and whatever we decide on for $$ as charter members. i am sure it will be well worth it.

i have not thought a great deal about the wording for a charter. the only things that are important to me are:

1) some way of continuing the library in a self-funded mode
2) a way of contributing to Sosua. that could be working with the schools, offering some sort of reading program or something. from my perspective this whole project is moot if we do not give something back to the community.

thanks again for so many positive responses.

BTW cork, many of my best books were also from my grandmother who, strangely enough, was named Helen. she was extremely well educated and even obtained a BA in the 1930s (which was very rare). i am so glad i kept many of her more esoteric books that only now i am beginning to appreciate. she would be very glad to have others peruse and treasure some of her better selections.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dwald said:
Where is the Helen Kellogg library Chiri?
Anna

In Gazcue, on the premises of the Anglican church on Ave. Independencia. It's just before you reach Calle Danae, past Hotel Casona Dorada (I think that's the name) opposite the Fuerza de la Revolucion HQ.

It's open most mornings (not Mondays though) and some afternoons.

BTW KateP, they open on Saturdays and Sundays so working is not a good enough excuse! ;)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
This is a very cool endeavour! I also have books to send.

a way of contributing to Sosua. that could be working with the schools, offering some sort of reading program or something. from my perspective this whole project is moot if we do not give something back to the community.

Perhaps the charter could include a specific mandate regarding the inclusion of Spanish books also. Like a definite amount of all new books purchased be non-English or something.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Chirimoya said:
BTW KateP, they open on Saturdays and Sundays so working is not a good enough excuse! ;)

That's great news to me! I had no idea they had such a flexible schedule. You can bet that I'll be going by in the next few weeks. Do you know how much the membership costs?

Thx!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think it's RD$400 for a single membership, slightly more for a family membership, for a year. It may have gone up to RD$500 - I'll find out tomorrow when I renew. I'll also get a copy of the exact opening hours and post them here.

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
Christian Books

Gregg said:
looks like i will be starting a library when i arrive!

thank you to everyone for your generous offers. maybe i am getting ahead of myself as i still need to get re-located to Sosua. we plan (based on the sale of some real estate) to be there by January or February. of course, that's in DR time... so a library will follow in a few months time. should we say this spring?

any input from the ol' boys would be appreciated...like if it is being done already.

very refreshing that so many would like to help. maybe the book is not dead yet!!

a good facililty would be appreciated. just something basic that could be donated to a worthy effort. i'll provide paint, renovating skills and lots of elbow grease. i will also provide all of my books and whatever we decide on for $$ as charter members. i am sure it will be well worth it.

i have not thought a great deal about the wording for a charter. the only things that are important to me are:

1) some way of continuing the library in a self-funded mode
2) a way of contributing to Sosua. that could be working with the schools, offering some sort of reading program or something. from my perspective this whole project is moot if we do not give something back to the community.

thanks again for so many positive responses.

BTW cork, many of my best books were also from my grandmother who, strangely enough, was named Helen. she was extremely well educated and even obtained a BA in the 1930s (which was very rare). i am so glad i kept many of her more esoteric books that only now i am beginning to appreciate. she would be very glad to have others peruse and treasure some of her better selections.

I have some good Christian books that I can donate to the library, and some tapes, too, if you are interested.

ofelia1225

Sep 27, 2004
Library in Sosua

Count me in. That is a neat proyect in which I would love to be involved. I'll be in Sosua in mid March staying at Rocky's while I look for an apartment.
I'll try to take some books with me.

Ofelia

Gregg said:
i have seen the books at Rocky's (some good ones, would be through them inside of a week) and i did see the posting at the Supermarket for the book exchange service. problem was they were mostly pulp fiction as you stated. i do enjoy reading the current novels as a break from the weightier stuff. i am an avid reader and i will read anything i can.

however, i am looking more towards the classics in literature. maybe some philosophy, poetry, business, history et cetera. some good meaty stuff once you've caught up on the best sellers. even some good books for children.

a private library is pretty simple in design and is how most libraries were
started:

1) a small group of people act as founders with contributions in cash and any books they may have. a simple, basic charter is drawn up stating our goals and intentions.

2) new members are then allowed to join the library if they are sponsored/vouchsafed by an existing member. they would pay a fee to join and would be encouraged to donate books.

3) the number of books allowed at one time is low (under 5) and any serious defaulters are excluded from the group. that person's sponsor is ulitmately responsible for their actions. you might have new members post a security deposit or something...

4) you grow the membership to an agreed upon size that is comfortable for everyone. each member has a vested interest in the library.

5) the space required for hosting the library can be fairly simple. no staffing required as the honour system is used. a few comfy chairs and voila! no computers, no TV, no radio just the steady hum of the ceiling fan and lots of books.

6) other languages can be added once the library is established (Spanish/German/Hebrew...).

7) some method of offering books and access to others can be arranged as a way of contributing into the Sosua community. this might take the form of Spanish children's books or something useful. perhaps access on certain days to browse and read (probably not sign out books though).

there you go. i will tackle this when we move to Sosua (Jan-Mar timeframe). i'll be bringing all of my books to seed the project. i am sure others would get in the swing of things too. just think of all the good, used book stores in Canada, US etc... where the book hounds can source decent books and bring them back to the DR in their luggage. they don't have to be pretty, just a good price and good content.

anyone else interested?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Count Me In...

I live in Santiago, but go to the north coast from time to time. There is a huge library here with probably a couple thousand books that are about 100 years old each. They built this very nice building they call the library...only thing is they forgot to put books in it. What a crime.

You have to think about where you are going to house your books and who is going to watch the store.

Members coming back from trips to USA could bring books found in thrift shops or at library sales. You could easily have a nice selection.

Might be better to make it a library whereby a room of someones home acts as the library and there is an online list of books available. Then say, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm...someone could be there to exchange books. So you minimize your time managing the project.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
great suggestions

Snuffy said:
I live in Santiago, but go to the north coast from time to time. There is a huge library here with probably a couple thousand books that are about 100 years old each. They built this very nice building they call the library...only thing is they forgot to put books in it. What a crime.

You have to think about where you are going to house your books and who is going to watch the store.

Members coming back from trips to USA could bring books found in thrift shops or at library sales. You could easily have a nice selection.

Might be better to make it a library whereby a room of someones home acts as the library and there is an online list of books available. Then say, from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm...someone could be there to exchange books. So you minimize your time managing the project.

thanks for the good ideas. i would like someone in Sosua to offer some small "shop" space for use. i saw quite a bit of vacant real estate when i was there.

ideally, one could have an honour system in place for access and lending. i suppose that might be unrealistic but it would offer more flexibility for accessing the library. i think that is where we leverage sponsorship of each new member by an existing member.

servicing the tourists and transients can be done with deposits but raises that niggly question about staffing. my wife and i have run volunteer groups before and they do take constant effort.

i like the online access and the more limited hours approach too. that helps balance the volunteer requirements.

i envision the library to be a non-computer and non-electronics place. we can still provide online content and ordering, but from a home location.

if we just need to light and ventilate the building, the operating costs would stay low. just a few solar lights perhaps?

i hope that the security risks would be less if there were just books and some furniture. that might be too optimistic though.

keep it coming!

Last edited: