Sunscape Punta Cana

stolz

Sep 22, 2004
My wife and I just returned from the Sunscape Punta Cana Grand last night after being there for 5 nights. The place is incredible! First of all, we were a little worried about hurricane damage prior to leaving?if you are worrying about that as well, stop worrying, I would have never known a hurricane had gone through by looking at the resort. The Natura Park located adjacent to the resort was undergoing some serious repairs and was closed, but the Sunscape is perfect.

Food
I thought the food was great, my wife and I had no trouble finding great stuff to eat. Windows buffet was our favorite for breakfast and lunch. We tried the beachfront caf? for lunch and it was good, but the Windows selection was so incredible it was hard to justify going anywhere else. I zoned in on the fajita station for lunch and the made to order omelets for breakfast?but we literally could have lived in Windows and been happy?until we found Dimario?s and the American grill. Dimario's was fantastic, really good food (Shrimp Pasta?ummm), excellent atmosphere (it was our 10 year anniversary, so atmosphere was somewhat important), and pretty incredible service. (Service was phenomenal throughout the resort though, so you almost got used to it. I have never been treated so well by so many nice people, and have never experienced service that could even hold a candle to what I experienced at the Sunscape.) The American Grill was my wife?s favorite. They had some black bean soup that was fantastic, and the steaks we had were good. The only thing I will say slightly negative about the food is that the cheese we had, in all of the restaurants, was not like the cheese we have in the US, it was more like different flavors of velveta. After the first day I just kind of avoided heavily cheesy dishes, but I think most people would probably have no problem with it?I am a little picky about dairy products. Best guacamole, next to my wife?s, in the world, hands down.

Drinks
Anything you want to drink?seriously anything?anytime (unless you like beer, then you are kind of stuck with the Presidente, which everyone says is great, I never tried it, too busy drinking all the stuff I always wanted to try). We did see several people hauling cases of Presidente home on the plane?you have to really like a beer to take it home with you on a plane.

Beach/Pools
The beach was beautiful, the water was warm, and the breeze was great. The water was a little deeper and a little darker blue than I was anticipating. The only other Caribbean destination I have been to is Aruba, so compared to Aruba, it is deeper and darker colored, but still incredibly beautiful. We kayaked and snorkeled. We took one snorkeling trip to the reef, well worth it, tons of fish.

We spent most of our time at the pool, which was great. Lots of room and very clean. The pool was beautiful at night as well. We swam in the adult pool a couple of nights and had it all to ourselves. The only thing lame about this resort is some of the selfish people who visit here. The practice of ?claiming? a chair by putting your towel on it, then disappearing for the rest of the day is just rude, and it is unfortunate that others feel pressured to do it because they think they won?t have a spot. We resisted the selfish urge and still always had a spot to rest. Some people even ?claimed? the floating mattresses by folding them up and putting them on a chair?RIDICULOUS?.never ceases to amaze me how lame and selfish some people can be?enough of that though. We still never waited much more than 20 minutes for a mattress when we wanted one. Pools and beach were great.

MISC
The entertainment was fun, we went to the show every night, and enjoyed it. The piano bar was fun, and there is a great saxophone player who works there?he never made a mistake, loved listening to him. The disco isn?t our thing, but looked fun enough. There is so much space to spread out and find your own quiet spot. I was a little concerned it wouldn?t be romantic, but it was, and still the people with kids appeared to be having a lot of fun. We talked about wanting to bring our kids there sometime. We made some friends from Philadelphia who said they would want to bring their kids there as well (hey Dave and Sandy!) Overall it was great. I would definitely go back to Punta Cana, and would definitely want to stay at the Sunscape.

katlady

Nov 14, 2004
stolz said:
My wife and I just returned from the Sunscape Punta Cana Grand last night after being there for 5 nights. The place is incredible! First of all, we were a little worried about hurricane damage prior to leaving?if you are worrying about that as well, stop worrying, I would have never known a hurricane had gone through by looking at the resort. The Natura Park located adjacent to the resort was undergoing some serious repairs and was closed, but the Sunscape is perfect.

Food
I thought the food was great, my wife and I had no trouble finding great stuff to eat. Windows buffet was our favorite for breakfast and lunch. We tried the beachfront caf? for lunch and it was good, but the Windows selection was so incredible it was hard to justify going anywhere else. I zoned in on the fajita station for lunch and the made to order omelets for breakfast?but we literally could have lived in Windows and been happy?until we found Dimario?s and the American grill. Dimario's was fantastic, really good food (Shrimp Pasta?ummm), excellent atmosphere (it was our 10 year anniversary, so atmosphere was somewhat important), and pretty incredible service. (Service was phenomenal throughout the resort though, so you almost got used to it. I have never been treated so well by so many nice people, and have never experienced service that could even hold a candle to what I experienced at the Sunscape.) The American Grill was my wife?s favorite. They had some black bean soup that was fantastic, and the steaks we had were good. The only thing I will say slightly negative about the food is that the cheese we had, in all of the restaurants, was not like the cheese we have in the US, it was more like different flavors of velveta. After the first day I just kind of avoided heavily cheesy dishes, but I think most people would probably have no problem with it?I am a little picky about dairy products. Best guacamole, next to my wife?s, in the world, hands down.

Drinks
Anything you want to drink?seriously anything?anytime (unless you like beer, then you are kind of stuck with the Presidente, which everyone says is great, I never tried it, too busy drinking all the stuff I always wanted to try). We did see several people hauling cases of Presidente home on the plane?you have to really like a beer to take it home with you on a plane.

Beach/Pools
The beach was beautiful, the water was warm, and the breeze was great. The water was a little deeper and a little darker blue than I was anticipating. The only other Caribbean destination I have been to is Aruba, so compared to Aruba, it is deeper and darker colored, but still incredibly beautiful. We kayaked and snorkeled. We took one snorkeling trip to the reef, well worth it, tons of fish.

We spent most of our time at the pool, which was great. Lots of room and very clean. The pool was beautiful at night as well. We swam in the adult pool a couple of nights and had it all to ourselves. The only thing lame about this resort is some of the selfish people who visit here. The practice of ?claiming? a chair by putting your towel on it, then disappearing for the rest of the day is just rude, and it is unfortunate that others feel pressured to do it because they think they won?t have a spot. We resisted the selfish urge and still always had a spot to rest. Some people even ?claimed? the floating mattresses by folding them up and putting them on a chair?RIDICULOUS?.never ceases to amaze me how lame and selfish some people can be?enough of that though. We still never waited much more than 20 minutes for a mattress when we wanted one. Pools and beach were great.

MISC
The entertainment was fun, we went to the show every night, and enjoyed it. The piano bar was fun, and there is a great saxophone player who works there?he never made a mistake, loved listening to him. The disco isn?t our thing, but looked fun enough. There is so much space to spread out and find your own quiet spot. I was a little concerned it wouldn?t be romantic, but it was, and still the people with kids appeared to be having a lot of fun. We talked about wanting to bring our kids there sometime. We made some friends from Philadelphia who said they would want to bring their kids there as well (hey Dave and Sandy!) Overall it was great. I would definitely go back to Punta Cana, and would definitely want to stay at the Sunscape.

I glad the place is still up tp standards. I honeymooned there 3yrs ago, and have been dying to go back!! We loved it, and also had a great time. The pool thing is true, I found people would place their towels there in the morning. Hopefully we get to go back soon.