little questions

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
Hi there!
We might be planning to spend a week in DR, from Dec-21 to 28 and we'll get to La Romana. We won't take a holiday package; we want to visit with our backpacks on :) Would we have enough time to tour the area, like going to Santo Domingo, swim and see some beaches in Punta Cana (or what are the other nice beaches that we should go that are located closed? ) and plan to spend some times in Rio San Juan before heading back to La Romana? If we stay in the South area for 1-2 nights, where should we go for cheap sleeping place?
Also, where should we take the bus (is there any cheap bus working at that moment of year or everyone are on holidays??) (we don't care if we have or not the air conditioning or all other stuff; we need just a cheap mean of transportation that won't take days or too much of our precious time to get to destination :p) from South area to Rio San Juan? What pathway would you suggest so to see at least some interesting places in the South before heading to North? Should we pass by Puerto Plata or Samana to get to RSJ? My Spanish is good enough so we can get around by ourselves.
Last question, how to get back from Rio San Juan down to La Romana? Should we get down there a day before we are leaving so to be sure not missing the plane??
Thanks for answering :)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like you are planning on covering a lot of ground in a short time!

Next time you want to go to Rio San Juan it might be better to fly into Puerto Plata.........
That said here are a few suggestions for you.
You don't say what time your plane arrives in La Romana......
if morning or early afternoon I would suggest taking a bus to Juan Dolio where there are several inexpensive guest houses for cheap bed & breakfast.
Also some fairly nice beaches in Juan Dolio, Playa Los Vicini and Guayacanes (all within 3 kms).
Next day travel by bus to Boca Chica where there is a beautiful beach and overnight there. Early morning head to Santo Domingo for a quick Colonial Zone tour before catching a bus to Puerto Plata.
From there you can bus to Rio San Juan (possibly the same day- I'm not sure of schedules but maybe someone from the north shore can advise).
Definitely plan on arriving back to Juan Dolio or La Romana the day BEFORE your flight leaves.

This agenda takes you west then north then east. If you'd rather go east to Punta Cana then north then back to La Romana perhaps one of the people more familiar with the PC area and travel to RSJuan can advise. You can take a bus from La Romana to Bayahibe for an overnight and stay on the wonderful beach in Bayahibe. Then take a bus to Bavaro/Punta Cana.
Boca di Yuma is also worth a visit but I'm not sure about accomodations there.

It would be a bit of a stretch to go both to Punta Cana, Santo Domingo and Rio San Juan with such a short time frame. You really wouldn't have much time to spend on the beach in either Punta Cana or RSJ simply because of the distance and bus travel involved.
Hope this helps somewhat and I'm sure others will give you more info!!
Enjoy!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Pomli,

Rio San Juan is a lovely place, but I have to agree that unless you have a very special reason for wanting to go there, it is really out of your way from La Romana. If you are determined to go there however, since you are backpacking, may I suggest a real adventure! take the bus to Sabana del Mar and then catch the ferry across the Samana bay which will put you just about an hour and a half from RSJ on the north coast highway. I would HIGHLY recommend the Bahia Blanca hotel in RSJ. Reasonably priced, literally overhanging the bay, with one of the most beautiful views in the country and a wonderful little beach adjacent. laguna Gri Gri is within easy walking distance.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like an excellant idea!

Next poster may have another.....so keep on reading and check out some of the trip reports other posters have made in the trip report forum.
Might give you some more good ideas so you can plan a true Dominican adventure!

Last edited:

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
thanks everyone fore their reply :)
I know that La Romana is really out of the way of Puerto Plata, but according to a travel agent, it cost 200$ less to go to La Romana than Puerto Plata for one week. Sounds funny but it is really what she told me yesterday. I haven't asked for the arriving and leaving time, sorry that information I don't know. I am still waiting after my brother for others information about others tickets plane prices that are, according to his dominican friend, less expensive. Anyhow, for now, we have the option to go to La Romana.
And yep, I want to go to RSJ for the lagune gris-gris, Playa Grande, places that I missed to go last time because my mom did not want to leave the hotel, and also seeing some friends. I know that one week seems too short, but that's is what fit in our budget for now on. Two weeks would have been preferable, but we weren't able to book early (there were tickets at the same price but for two weeks instead) because of my exams schedule that wasn't out yet. Anyways, I'll see how things will improve!
Thanks!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Pomli said:
thanks everyone fore their reply :)
I know that La Romana is really out of the way of Puerto Plata, but according to a travel agent, it cost 200$ less to go to La Romana than Puerto Plata for one week. Sounds funny but it is really what she told me yesterday. I haven't asked for the arriving and leaving time, sorry that information I don't know. I am still waiting after my brother for others information about others tickets plane prices that are, according to his dominican friend, less expensive. Anyhow, for now, we have the option to go to La Romana.
And yep, I want to go to RSJ for the lagune gris-gris, Playa Grande, places that I missed to go last time because my mom did not want to leave the hotel, and also seeing some friends. I know that one week seems too short, but that's is what fit in our budget for now on. Two weeks would have been preferable, but we weren't able to book early (there were tickets at the same price but for two weeks instead) because of my exams schedule that wasn't out yet. Anyways, I'll see how things will improve!
Thanks!

Pomli,

Where are you coming from? You can ask for help on getting a good rate in the Airline Questions area, and I think you may be surprised what comes up. The people here are very resourceful! If The North coast (RSJ) is where you really want to go, you should definately explore all options for a flight into POP or STI (Santiago) before scheduling to go to La Romana. Of course, do your own research on the various travel sites, searching for rates from all the airports within reasonable distance from you into either POP or STI.

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
sweetdbt said:
Pomli,

Where are you coming from? You can ask for help on getting a good rate in the Airline Questions area, and I think you may be surprised what comes up. The people here are very resourceful! If The North coast (RSJ) is where you really want to go, you should definately explore all options for a flight into POP or STI (Santiago) before scheduling to go to La Romana. Of course, do your own research on the various travel sites, searching for rates from all the airports within reasonable distance from you into either POP or STI.

Hi newuser! I'm from Montreal. I have looked through Airline Question area, and looked through the charters they proposed. I checked with every websites the people proposed, but price are more expensive. The airline through which the travel agent look at only sells South tickets plane through travel agent, and not through the website. Anyways, I still have to wait after my brother before deciding anything. By the way, I did not know that there was an airport in Santiago :p thanks a lot!