How Much????

Hawk7877

Oct 11, 2004
Can anybody now living in Puerto Plata tell me what it costs for a weeks worth of grocies for a family of four from the supermercado. Rough estimates would be appreciated. $4000-5000RD?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hmmmmmmmmm

Hawk7877 said:
Can anybody now living in Puerto Plata tell me what it costs for a weeks worth of grocies for a family of four from the supermercado. Rough estimates would be appreciated. $4000-5000RD?

Are we looking at "Rice and Beans" or "New York Imported Sirloin"?

I would say a rough estimate (Very Low Side for a Gringo ) RD $ 5000.00.
( Thats only $150.00 US.)

High Side ?

We spend for a family of four at the very least around RD.$8500.00 for a week that's US.$ 265.00 and that's not New York Sirloin.......My Friend! Rather Dominican Ground Beef.

Gringo

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Gringo said:
We spend for a family of four at the very least around RD.$8500.00 for a week that's US.$ 265.00 and that's not New York Sirloin.......My Friend! Rather Dominican Ground Beef. Gringo

Hawk, I'm no expert on the cost of living in the DR, but US. $ 265.00 sounds high to me. That's almost $10.00 per day per person, I doubt I spend that in the USA, and I doubt I spent that when I was there for a month earlier year eating all my meals out!!! Most people in the DR don't make that much money in a month!!!

Joe

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My Estimates...

I think our diet is average for expats living in this country and I spend about 5000 pesos for four people. That includes breakfast and two meals with meat...either chicken, beef, pork. It does not include fish products as they are expensive here in Santiago. But if you are on the north coast and smart...you should be able to find all the fish you want at a very good price.

If you stick to the local foodstuffs...then you will be fine...for example...rice, beans, chicken, beef, pork, platano, yucca, papaya, pineapple, etc....

It is when you start buying the imported items that it gets expensive. And you will want to buy the imported items.

But if you stick to the local food you will have a much healthier diet.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have actually been monitoring this for over a year now, because I am frequently asked the question, so this is based on actual expenditure, not estimates. I spend 2000-2500 pesos weekly for a family of 2, so double it up for a family of 4. This is shopping in Puerto Plata supermarkets, Tropical, Silverio Messon predominantly. We do not eat much red meat, but we do eat fish. It also includes cigarettes, but not alcohol.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lambada said:
I have actually been monitoring this for over a year now, because I am frequently asked the question, so this is based on actual expenditure, not estimates. I spend 2000-2500 pesos weekly for a family of 2, so double it up for a family of 4. This is shopping in Puerto Plata supermarkets, Tropical, Silverio Messon predominantly. We do not eat much red meat, but we do eat fish. It also includes cigarettes, but not alcohol.

Lambada,

I know cigarettes are cheap in the DR by North American or European standards, but could you give us former or non smokers an idea of how much of that total was for the smokes? I'm hoping to be faced with these expenses in 1 to 2 years, so this is useful info. :glasses:

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Sweetdbt

You are planning to "start" smoking in 1-2 years?

Local produced Marlboro's are about RD$250 a carton, around $USD7 - $8.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
sweetdbt said:
Lambada,

I know cigarettes are cheap in the DR by North American or European standards, but could you give us former or non smokers an idea of how much of that total was for the smokes? I'm hoping to be faced with these expenses in 1 to 2 years, so this is useful info. :glasses:

Don't think you've bought any recently, Lecehero! ;) A carton of Marlboro used to be 314 pesos, but with new taxes it is now 410 pesos. That is current price at Tropical, Puerto Plata. How much of my total was for cigarettes? Approx 500 pesos a week. Now you ALL know how much I smoke! Think carefully before turning this into a smoker bashing thread!

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
It's not that bad...

When I was in Sosua (last month), we were 3 adults and only spent about 3000 pesos total. Incuding rum and cigarettes, about 7 gallons of water, juices and soft drinks, fish, meat, of course rice and beans, fruits and veggies, milk, eggs, cheese, jam, cookies, bread, chips, coffee, coffee filters, condiments like oil, vinegar, salt, sugar, mayonnaise, butter, sour cream, also soap to wash the dishes, toilet paper. I can't think of the rest right now but we had a lot more. All I can say is spend wisely, do buy local brands instead of imported stuff it wont kill you, it will make you save a lot of $$$ and you will get used to it anyways. Also, you can go 2-3 times/week and do smaller groceries instead of going once and buy too much stuff and end up loosing or not eating 1/2 of the stuff you bought. We went to the big Playero in Sosua, we found that in the smaller one, the fruits, veggies and meats are not as fresh. ;)
Take care !

NubeLuz -xxx-

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Eat at Rocky's

I love the place... when I am in the DR on business for long periods of time and tired of "momma's cooking". I go out to Rocky's in Sosua. I love his food I really do. Now that he has a new cook the food is even better and faster service! But all are right, it depends on what you wish to eat "local or imported". I mean let's face it, there is only so much chicken, rice and beans we can eat.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Lechero said:
You are planning to "start" smoking in 1-2 years?

Local produced Marlboro's are about RD$250 a carton, around $USD7 - $8.

jajajajaja ;) No, I just wanted to subtract the cigarettes from the total so I'd know what it would cost me. I quit 6 months ago and hopefully will not be starting up again. I'vegot the answer now.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Good deal!
I quit over a year ago......as you can see by my post, and subsequent attack by a very knowledgeable smoker. ;)