Dresscode in SDs Salsa Clubs

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
Is there a dresscode in Santo Domingos (Salsa) Clubs? Or can I enter with a normal shirt, my black Bloch Sneakers and normal pants?

Which are the best days to dance some nice salsa in SD? Any clubs recommended? I probably will be alone - is it dangerous? - a white gringo who understands much spanish but doesnt speak that well.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
mexx78 said:
Is there a dresscode in Santo Domingos (Salsa) Clubs? Or can I enter with a normal shirt, my black Bloch Sneakers and normal pants?

Which are the best days to dance some nice salsa in SD? Any clubs recommended? I probably will be alone - is it dangerous? - a white gringo who understands much spanish but doesnt speak that well.

The dress you described should be fine. The primary "no-no" for SD clubs is short pants. The sneakers might be a problem in a really upscale salsa club, but I can't speak from experience as I'm a bachata kinda guy myself. Salsa moves are beyond my skill level.

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
sweetdbt said:
The dress you described should be fine. The primary "no-no" for SD clubs is short pants. The sneakers might be a problem in a really upscale salsa club, but I can't speak from experience as I'm a bachata kinda guy myself. Salsa moves are beyond my skill level.

I would never wear short pants to a club ;). The sneakers are black and the best ones I had until now (for dancing):

CA41331.jpg

Are there any upscale salsaclubs in SD? And what style are they dancing there?

Last edited:

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
sweetdbt said:

Im with you buddy would be of no help as im a bachata dancer myself. But that dress code sounds fine . Change the sneakers to some decent shoes and youll be the catch of the night

LOL

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hi mexx,
I just cut and pasted this from my last summer's post:
in Santo Domingo the trendy place to go nowadays is Trio Caf? on Av. Winston Churchill. It gets busy from Thursday to Sunday but people go really late, it's busiest between 2-5 am. We went on a Sunday around 1am and left at 4.30am with still a lot of people there. Music was OK, every hour they play 3-4 merengues and 2-3 salsas, the rest is reggaeton and R&B. It's not too snobby even though a lot of local VIPs come there (actors, tv presentors, etc). All ages are present.
Salsa discos are only busy on weekends and mostly located on the East bank of the Ozama river: Makumba is a well-known salsateca on Av. Venezuela and there are more on Av. San Vicente de Paul. I haven't had the chance to go there though so cannot tell you anymore about them.
Bartolomeo