Buying a car in DR

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Hi,

We are planning to move to Dominican (from Florida) and while the real estate and apartment prices are reasonable, we are more than wondering about the prices of cars.

Most used and new cars we found on supercarros.com and ListinDiario show prices that are out of this world. 2 times more expensive than the USA with the current exchange rate of ~ 30RD$ to 1US$.

Example:
In DR: New Toyota Camry 2005 (no model specified) US$41.500
In USA: New Toyota Camry 2005 (top model) US$25.000

(Prices taken from supercarros.com and toyota.com)

Can someone point to websites of "official" cardealerships in the DR with realistic prices for new Vehicles? (Renault, Peugeot, KIA) other than supercarros.com

And if cars are indeed that expensive in the DR would it be a better option to import our own vehicle from the US? Are there extra import fees/taxes? Or is it considered exempt along with private moving goods? Are there any problems (high $) to get a local license plate in this case?

Thanks in advance

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Cars are definitely more expensive in The DR than in The US. However, prices in Super-Carros are way above what you'd really pay for a car at a regular dealership. The prices of cars have gone down significantly since the dollar started going down. Prices at Super-Carros are not up to date.
If you have never shipped a car I suggest you buy in The DR. Shipping from Miami is actually very easy and inexpensive. The problem will be getting it out of customs in The DR, where they will probably charge you way more than you should really pay. Never buy brand new, remember to bargain, and never buy a non-japanese brand (except if you're buying a luxury vehicle - i.e. BMW)

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Thanks suarezn

I have read about the issues with importing cars. Are you aware if that process is easier for Dominican "citizens" than gringos just moving there?

That cars are more expensive makes sense since they have to be all imported, the question is how much more would you say is reasonable/realistic...

15% on top of the US prices? maybe even 30%?

franco

Nov 5, 2003
PlantaFULL said:
Thanks suarezn

I have read about the issues with importing cars. Are you aware if that process is easier for Dominican "citizens" than gringos just moving there?

That cars are more expensive makes sense since they have to be all imported, the question is how much more would you say is reasonable/realistic...

15% on top of the US prices? maybe even 30%?

About 100% for a new cars.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Customs uses a rate table that takes into consideration year, model, etc...As an example I'm shipping a 2001 Honda Accord in a couple of weeks . I will be paying close to 200k pesos in custom duties. That car cost about 700k pesos a couple of months ago. Now you can find it for about 550k pesos. It is completely a buyer's market right now, as dealers are not selling a lot of vehicles. The only reason I'm shipping this one is because is already paid for and I don't need it here.
I don't think is any easier for Dominicans than Gringos. It all depends on the contacts you have at customs.
If I understand correctly, a Dominican citizen who has lived outside the country for more than a year can bring in a one time shipment of all their household goods, including a car. I understand the paperwork for this type of shipment takes a very long time...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
If you do want to ship a car PM me and I will tell you the procedure (who to contact and how to go about it to pay less and avoid trouble).

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
100% more.... that sounds about right from what I've researched :tired:

Those mid/upper class people in Santo Domingo who own 2 cars, one being an american SUV must have more net-value in their vehicles then they have in their real estate... Crazy world that is :)

The whole max 5year old, min 12 month ownage would be okay in our case, the only problem I see is that I read elsewhere that one needs to have the residency permit in hands at the time of getting the stuff out of the port. Now if getting the residency takes as long as I think it does how the heck is that supposed to work out? I mean, upon arrival we would need the car within a matter of 1 to 4 weeks, otherwise the whole thing seems pointless to start with.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Solution.

PlantaFULL said:
100% more.... that sounds about right from what I've researched :tired:

Those mid/upper class people in Santo Domingo who own 2 cars, one being an american SUV must have more net-value in their vehicles then they have in their real estate... Crazy world that is :)

The whole max 5year old, min 12 month ownage would be okay in our case, the only problem I see is that I read elsewhere that one needs to have the residency permit in hands at the time of getting the stuff out of the port. Now if getting the residency takes as long as I think it does how the heck is that supposed to work out? I mean, upon arrival we would need the car within a matter of 1 to 4 weeks, otherwise the whole thing seems pointless to start with.
Buy a cheap Toyota Corolla or something equally popular, make sure it's a decent deal, drive it until you get your imported car all sorted out and sell it for approx. the same price you paid for it.
If the deal is decent, you will have no trouble doing this.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Rocky said:
Buy a cheap <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=1&k=toyota%20corolla" onmouseover="window.status='<a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=1&k=toyota%20corolla" onmouseover="window.status='<a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=1&k=toyota%20corolla" onmouseover="window.status='Toyota Corolla'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">Toyota Corolla</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">Toyota Corolla</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">Toyota Corolla</a> or something equally popular, make sure it's a decent deal, drive it until you get your imported car all sorted out and sell it for approx. the same price you paid for it.
If the deal is decent, you will have no trouble doing this.

Rocky (or anyone who knows),

Any idea how much a Corolla or something comparable (let's say mid to late 90s model, in good shape) should sell for? I've checked on Super-carros, but everyone says those prices are inflated. I will likely be buying something like this when I move down.

Last edited: