Night life in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCTORONTO

Oct 21, 2004
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Puerto Plata in November. We will probably stay at one of the RIU resorts. Any suggestions on the local night life - where to go, where not to go?

Thanks.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
This is my personal opinion . . .

I don't think POP proper is a good place for nightlife for a tourist couple. However, if you want to dabble, on the Malecon (beach front road in Puerto Plata) there are 2 places you can go to ,

1) is close to the Castle on the edge of the port, there is a reseraunt there near a disc called the Sphinx (you can tell the place by the decor). Nice place by the ocean to have a meal and see some of the locals.

2) on the other end of the Malecon is a reseraunt called Agua Ciro , this is a nice place also to have an afternoon meal.

This will get you the idea about what POP is like, if your at place #1 on Saterday, there is generally a tailgate party of dominican youth there (on-going affair). And a number of food kiosks are set up along the beach to cater to the party.

In general the All Inclusive resort has clubs and is the best place to start.

I'f you like I might be able to set you up with some one trustworthy that can show you around town. Best way to be social is to get to know a family in the area. If your interested, PM me.

-Lee

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
a couple of possibilities

DCTORONTO said:
My wife and I are planning our first trip to Puerto Plata in November. We will probably stay at one of the RIU resorts. Any suggestions on the local night life - where to go, where not to go?

Thanks.

I assume that when you say "local night life" you are referring to places where you can dance and enjoy an adult beverage in a Dominican atmosphere. 2 places I have frequented for this purpose are Rancho Canita, which is a disco tipico and Patio de Johnny, which is a carwash disco (a uniquely Dominican phenomenom). At either place you can get cerveza or rum servicios at reasonable prices and dance to a mixture of merengue, bachata, and salsa. If you want more familiar music, go to the club at the resort. A trustworthy guide could be helpful, and unless you are driving a rental car, you'd need cabs anyway, so I'd guess the cost wouldn't be much different, and you might be more comfortable, as you are likely to be the only non-Dominicans in either place.

PS Most of the resorts offer dance lessons, so you could learn a few steps there. It's really easy. I particularly like dancing bachata myself, and I'm hopelessly white and rhythmically impaired!

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
if you're looking for nightlife & All-Inclusive, you might want to look at a few other locations, Playa Dorada, Sosua, or Cabarete. The Riu Resorts are located pretty far away from Puerto Plata or any major nightlife.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
DCTORONTO said:

Thanks.

I am not 100% sure how it is spelled but there is a nice little restaurant called the "El Magito" just past the Playa Dorada resorts. As you pass Playa Dorada there is a row of stores. Go slow because this restaurant comes up quick. The El Magito is set between two other buildings. Park in front and go down the stairs, it is the best kept little secret in Puerto Plata. Also please this is a must! Near the Amber Museum is a restaurant called Polanco's. it is an old Spanish Victorian Villa situated right in the middle of Puerto Plata. Ask for the VIP room where there is a/c and please tell Jose Polanco that his good friend Scotty referred you there. He will treat you guys like a King and Queen, this I guarantee! The lobster there is fantastic! If you go to the Amber museum please ask for Arielis (I might have mispelled her name). She is a daughter of my dear friend in Jamao del Norte and works at this museum. The cable car going up Pico Isabella behind Puerto Plata is a nice trip for the day. Also on the road behind Puerto Plata going towards Santiago there is a fantastic fish restaurant on the right hand side. Stopping there for some fresh fish is a must. Remember, it is the first one of the two restaurants! If you venture into Sosua please stop in and see Marco at Rocky's which serves some yummy dishes. Stop on the beach and visit my friends Lou at the NY Shark Bar for a nice cold drink, Bobby at the Montongo King and Tom at the Scandanavian Bar. If you are gift shopping ask for Nelson near the center of the beach. Tell him I referred you and he will give you a good price (minus the gringo tax). Enjoy and let me know how you do!

Scotty

Status
Not open for further replies.