Current Monthly Income for a typical DR working as?

Hawk7877

Oct 11, 2004
Base on the replies I got for costs on a weeks worth of food and sundries; what is the typical DR (man/woman) making a week or month as a (for example taxi driver, resort cook, bellboy, lawyer). If you know the average current income for any profession please respond. (I hope this is an acceptable thread)

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
Not a lot ...

Just to give you an idea... A friend of mine who lives in Santiago works for Multi-Centro (DR chain of department stores) and earns about 2000 pesos every 2 weeks as security so he has to have side lines as security in Discos at night and construction worker in between the 2 to be able to keep up, so ends up working up to 70-80 hrs a week. I also know some girls that used to work in a big hotel front desk and earned a little more, maybe 3000 pesos every 2 weeks. You might want to look for a job in you country that would transfer you or give you a position in DR where you could get a better salary in your currency with your salary standards... It could be somekind of company related to tourism or a hotel. Or why don't you send your resume to big hotel chains like Breezes, Barcelo, Club Med, Occidental, Bahia Principe, Princess hotels, etc from your end and see what they have to offer. You might be surprised.
Good luck !!!
NubeLuz -xxx-

Hawk7877 said:
Base on the replies I got for costs on a weeks worth of food and sundries; what is the typical DR (man/woman) making a week or month as a (for example taxi driver, resort cook, bellboy, lawyer). If you know the average current income for any profession please respond. (I hope this is an acceptable thread)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
A driver for Brugal makes 6,000 pesos after 18 months experience and works 6 days a week and sometimes 18 hours a day.

Bellboy makes about 2,000 pesos twice a month plus tips. Waiter might get 3,800 per month plus tips. A licensed tour guide can make 900 pesos for a 1/2 day excursion and 1,300 for a full day excursion. The better tour guides can demand more.

A taxi driver with a nice car might gross 30,000 a month but has all his expenses. That is after several years building a client base and not relying solely on tourists.

Office clerks in tourism with more then just spanish start about 6,000 per month and can go as high as 15,000 with good English and another language. I've not seen too much more then that.

Representatives have a totally different deal depending on the company they work for and if they are dominicans. Locals get paid less! Not fair but it is reality. A foreigner makes more. They usually earn a base from 6,000 pesos to 40,000 pesos plus commission ranging from a low of 2% to a high of 8 % on their sales of excursions.

Many sales people in the industry make straight commissions...

Hope this helps.