Writing Checks At A Casa de Cambio...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Who has done this and how easy is it. I live in Santiago and if anyone know of a Cambio where I might try my luck at cashing checks, I would appreciate knowing about it. I am running out of dollars and I soon will have to either use the Check Cards and Visas or find a place that will take my checks.

Also, I have heard that there are ATM machines here that will pay in dollars...is that possible.

Thanks.

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
mmmm

I havent being on your situation but i suggest that you. to ...

Try making all your transactions in one of the banks around the city
(BHD,LEON,Progreso, or Santa Cruz)... if u need a "Casa de Cambio" look for one in the Yellow pages with international background ( like Vimenca Western Union)

and go take a look at it ... you need confidence first ... that's what i would do ..

santodocam

Feb 11, 2004
There are casas de cambio in Santo Domingo that cash checks. I use two and was refered by a Dominican business person to both. I'm not sure if that is a prerequisite.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Puerto Plata Too!

There are also casas de cambio in Puerto Plata that will cash checks. Introductions are required.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Process...

Can you elaborate on your experience. For example, did they take your check and immediately give you pesos at the daily rate? Did they charge you a fee for processing the check? One in Santiago would be great to hear about.