Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Writing Checks At A Casa de Cambio...

Who has done this and how easy is it. I live in Santiago and if anyone know of a Cambio where I might try my luck at cashing checks, I would appreciate knowing about it. I am running out of dollars and I soon will have to either use the Check Cards and Visas or find a place that will take my checks.

Also, I have heard that there are ATM machines here that will pay in dollars...is that possible.

Thanks.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation mmmm

I havent being on your situation but i suggest that you. to ...

Try making all your transactions in one of the banks around the city
    (BHD,LEON,Progreso, or Santa Cruz)... if u need a "Casa de Cambio" look for one in the Yellow pages with international background ( like Vimenca Western Union)

and go take a look at it ... you need confidence first ... that's what i would do ..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There are casas de cambio in Santo Domingo that cash checks. I use two and was refered by a Dominican business person to both. I'm not sure if that is a prerequisite.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puerto Plata Too!

There are also casas de cambio in Puerto Plata that will cash checks. Introductions are required.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Process...

Can you elaborate on your experience. For example, did they take your check and immediately give you pesos at the daily rate? Did they charge you a fee for processing the check? One in Santiago would be great to hear about.