What is Luperon like?

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
I visited Luperon once, and it was getting near the evening.I didn't get to see much of the place because it was dark. How big is the area? I was told it is a place where most boats would come to get out off bad wheather. I understand from reading the newspaper dated Oct20th, 2004 that they are planning on developing that area. Sounds like a good place to make an investment, what does anyone out their think?

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
When I visited I turned around and got out of there as fast as I could. Town is dead and all this talk of investments here there and everwhere is b.s. until you see it happen...people are always talking about money coming in and things getting better but it never comes.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Houses right at the water frount looks like a disaster waiting to happen . . .

Being in a major Hurricain target zone, I would not wan anything near the water. Also I would want a place on a nice flat area. I think I am familiar with that area, it is fairly developed already. If you go there, make sure you are happy with the weather, don't just think it is coicidence you arrived on a hot humid day. Other than that, Lupuron is a self contained expatriot community that I am sure is a little pricy and provideds everything you can find in Puerto Plata for shopping , with in the gated community.

-Lee

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Which Luperon ?

ltsnyder said:
Being in a major Hurricain target zone, I would not wan anything near the water. Also I would want a place on a nice flat area. I think I am familiar with that area, it is fairly developed already. If you go there, make sure you are happy with the weather, don't just think it is coicidence you arrived on a hot humid day. Other than that, Lupuron is a self contained expatriot community that I am sure is a little pricy and provideds everything you can find in Puerto Plata for shopping , with in the gated community.

-Lee

Sorry Lee,

I don't want to do the usual DR1 ego-shredding exercise, but I need to set a few things straight about your comments.

We have been visiting the DR by boat for over 12 years, and we were one of the first private boats to be allowed to use Luperon, it used to be previously off-limits to cruising folk. Luperon is one of the prettiest and safest natural harbours in the DR, besides being the first point of arrival in the Caribbean proper for most cruising sailors on their way from North America to 'down island'. Thus it provides multitudes of people with their first taste of alternative 'cultures', and for many, no doubt, their first taste of 'culture shock' !

When we arrived there 7 years ago and decided to stay, we used Luperon as our base for over a year, before moving to Samana Bay, and eventually La Romana, where we are now. Our original cruising boat is still in Luperon, and we have never had to wory about it due to storms or other dangers. Luperon is one of the safest 'Hurricane Holes' in the whole Caribbean, and although one can never say never with weather, it is true to say that you are probably as safe there as you are anywhere, and safer than most.

I love your comment about the 'self-contained' expatriate community, whilst I agree there are quite a few gringos who have settled down there, it will be a long time before they are in even a small minority large enough to be called a 'community'. During hurricane season ( 1st June - 30th Nov ) there are many boats who stay for the duration, sometimes well over 100, and this can give the impression of the ex-pats being in greater numbers than they really are. Certainly for the most part the local Dominican Community is open and welcoming to ex-pats, and grateful for the income that their presence brings.

A great example of how 'tourism' can be a positive influence for both the visitor and the visited.

If ( and it is admittedly a very big IF ) this development finally goes ahead I believe that it will be successful, and it will probably make Luperon an even more desirable place to be.....both for the local community, and for open-minded new-comers.

I for one wish everyone connected with this project the very best of luck, and look forward enthusiastically to seeing some well-deserved development in the area. And to anyone thinking of moving there, go for it, it's great.

CB

karenssp

Jul 28, 2004
Chris said:
Have a look at this.... http://www.atlanticadr.com.

Will it happen? Remains to be seen.

Yes I went on the internet, looked it up, e-mailed them and they sent me via UPS a packed. They are planning on building waterfront townhouses with a boat slip. The price is out of my reach. They sound serious.