Finding an apartment...

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
Hello all. My boyfriend and I are planning on coming down to either Puerto Plata or Sosua at the end of December from Ontario Canada and I just have a few quetions I was hoping you could help me with... We are both 21 and just looking to get away for a few months, we've had enough of the cold already and it hasn't even snowed here! First of all, is it a better idea to commit to an apartment over the internet and risk not liking it, or risk the chance of not finding one when we get down there? How hard is it to find a place for around $400 Cdn/month? Must be close to the beach and preferably wtih a pool? Any info, anything at all would be great!

Thanks so much!
Shawna

mvisnja69

Oct 22, 2004
Hi,
I think that this is exactly what are you looking for:

http://www.puntadeoro.com/

Location is Las Terrenas, Samana.
Swimming pool is small, but cute. Management is well organized. In brief, I?m living there with my wife and 6-month-old kid and we are very happy.

Good luck.

Mike.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Shawna,

There are many places in the Puerto Plata/Sosua area. For my friends staying in the Sosua area I suggest Caribe Campo, Hotel Voramar and Condo Dominicano for an apartment. If you are looking for a room only I can suggest www.Rockysbluesbar.com who has simple but clean accomodations or the Europa Hotel. I am sure other members will also assist you with your search. Please stop in and visit my friends Lou at the Shark Bar, Bobby at the Montongo King and Tom at the Scandanavian Bar. No matter where you go you will only be a stranger once!

Scotty

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
mvisnja69 said:
Hi,
I think that this is exactly what are you looking for:

http://www.puntadeoro.com/

Location is Las Terrenas, Samana.
Swimming pool is small, but cute. Management is well organized. In brief, I?m living there with my wife and 6-month-old kid and we are very happy.

Good luck.

Mike.

Her budget is only about US$320 a month, e.g. not even $11 a day, can this place provide for that little?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Cdn Girl said:
Hello all. My boyfriend and I are planning on coming down to either Puerto Plata or Sosua at the end of December from Ontario Canada and I just have a few quetions I was hoping you could help me with... We are both 21 and just looking to get away for a few months, we've had enough of the cold already and it hasn't even snowed here! First of all, is it a better idea to commit to an apartment over the internet and risk not liking it, or risk the chance of not finding one when we get down there? How hard is it to find a place for around $400 Cdn/month? Must be close to the beach and preferably wtih a pool? Any info, anything at all would be great!

Thanks so much!
Shawna

Hi Shawna

I live in toronto, and found a nice place in Sosua. It is called El Colibri, I was able to negotiate a very reasonable rate with the owner there Steven. It is clean, nice and has a beautiful pool. It is owned and opporated dutch and all employees speak very good english. There tel # is 809 571 1847 you can speak with Steven or Monique. Tell them Courtney reffered you and you would like to negotiate a reduced rate for the length of time you are staying. It is right in Sosua on the main road Pedro Clisante and about a 15 minute walk to the beach.

Courtney

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
cjewell said:
Hi Shawna

....I was able to negotiate a very reasonable rate with the owner there Steven

She's got $11 a day - why not actually quote her the reasonable rate in case it is not affordable.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Listen

To all of the negative, unhelpful indivduals on here who would prefer to crticize peoples postings as opposed to help

I do not want to negotiate rates for hotel owners on here - nor do I want to speak about the rate I was able to negotiate as I dont know that El Colibri probably would not appreciate it.

It not in a god forsaken place either.

It is a cute clean little hotel is Sosua - I stayed there for 5 weeks - I am not rich - I approved of the accomodation as did my mother and girlfriend

WHY DONT THOSE CRABBY INDIVIDUALS ON HERE TRY SPENDING LESS TIME CRITIZING THE PREVIOS PERSONS POST - AND PUT THAT ENERGY TOWARDS OFFERING SOME SOLUTIONS - OTHER THEN SAMANA WHICH IS 2 1/2 hour drive away

I started coming here a while ago and have found that some of the people on the site like to say that they are being realistic but seem very aggressive and negative to new people heading down to DR. Maybe there are some hidden agendas

Shawna if you want some help Private message me, I will give my e-mail - I too am moving down but in Jnaurary and have been there several times, maybe I can give you some tips

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
cjewell said:
To all of the negative, unhelpful indivduals on here who would prefer to crticize peoples postings as opposed to help

I do not want to negotiate rates for hotel owners on here - nor do I want to speak about the rate I was able to negotiate as I dont know that El Colibri probably would not appreciate it.

It is a cute clean little hotel is Sosua - I stayed there for 5 weeks - I am not rich - I approved of the accomodation as did my mother and girlfriend

WHY DONT THOSE CRABBY INDIVIDUALS ON HERE TRY SPENDING LESS TIME CRITIZING THE PREVIOS PERSONS POST - AND PUT THAT ENERGY TOWARDS OFFERING SOME SOLUTIONS - OTHER THEN SAMANA WHICH IS 2 1/2 hour drive away

I started coming here a while ago and have found that some of the people on the site like to say that they are being realistic but seem very aggressive and negative to new people heading down to DR. Maybe there are some hidden agendas

Shawna if you want some help Private message me, I will give my e-mail - I too am moving down but in Jnaurary and have been there several times, maybe I can give you some tips

I'm glad you got that off your chest.

What is so bad about quoting a rate?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
well

Robert said:
I'm glad you got that off your chest.

What is so bad about quoting a rate?

I think in my experience visiting DR you have to negotiate everywhere. E.G if you go to the beach and buy a painting for your home and the guy asks $100.00 USD for the painitng and you walk away with the paining for $40.00 USD you dont tell the next customer that walks up to his shop what you paid. Its just not right.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
did you read her question?

cjewell said:

Yeah, you are right in one thing. I'm new on this board, although I've been "lurking" for a while, but I have quickly discovered that many members here are quick to point out when someone provides an "answer" which is essentially irrevelant to the question or gives the appearence of having an alterior motive.

Las Terrenas is a lovely place, but I personally will give the OP credit for knowing where they wanted to go (Puerto Plata or Sosua), having their reasons for wanting to go there, and not thinking that because the DR is a relatively small country, that anyplace is close enough.

The OP also mentioned a specific price range of 400 canadian/mth. The only thing mentioned about price was that it met OUR needs and that I wouldn't want to negotiate prices for someone else. In other words "It's way more than you want to spend, but I'm not going to say that"

I personally would have less of a problem with the response were it not for this phrase. "I think this is exactly what are you looking for." (not edited)

OK, let's review. 21/2 hours away (at least!) and not in her price range. Yep, sounds like exactly what she is looking for to me!

Re: the helpfulness of board members; go back and read the thread and you will see that she got some other responses which were much more appropriate to her needs.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Lambada said:
Have I missed something? Were not all the 'appropriate' answers from cjewell who appears to be trying to help because they are prepared to take it to pms so the over critical nature of some posts can be avoided?
$400 CDN being close to $300 US I believe, can get you a decent apartment in the Sosua area. The best thing to do is check into a cheap hotel for a couple of days and take a look.
There are places like Trade Winds, Casa Valeria, Romanoff, Plaza Sosua(Europa), Pica Flores, Caribe Campo, that would all be close to that price range, and then there are private apartments as well.
I highly doubt you could ever negotiate Colibri for that price.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If You Believe That Someone Is Being "Confrontational",

Just don't respond! PERIOD!!!
I think that those who respond "in kind" are the ones being "Confrontational"! Kind of like the "Third Man In"rule in ice hockey!
If no one gets all worked up over how they respond,it takes all the fun out of being "Confrontational"!
What are you,SOME KIND OF AN IDIOT OR WHAT???? ;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

caro

Sep 24, 2003
with the exchange of today 400cad$ is 325us$.......

shawna,
if you want I haved a nice place when I was there 3 month near the beach with a pool and more but with the exchange I think now will be arond 350cad$ by month a little bit more of what you look but a really nice place.the other problem the appartment is locate in costambar so you need a car or a budget for taxi.if you are interresting pm me I would give you the phone number of the place.

I forget to tell is a 1 bedroom appartment

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Rocky said:
$400 CDN being close to $300 US I believe, can get you a decent apartment in the Sosua area. The best thing to do is check into a cheap hotel for a couple of days and take a look.
There are places like Trade Winds, Casa Valeria, Romanoff, Plaza Sosua(Europa), Pica Flores, Caribe Campo, that would all be close to that price range, and then there are private apartments as well.
I highly doubt you could ever negotiate Colibri for that price.

I know Steven and Monique (Colibri) and they are nice decent people with a great hotel. However, I must agree with Marco that they will not come down to this price range. After all they have costs to contend with as well.

Scotty

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
So relative to the original request are we anywhere near helping this nice girl - where she wants and for US$330 a month which I agree is pretty skimpy.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
ricktoronto said:
So relative to the original request are we anywhere near helping this nice girl - where she wants and for US$330 a month which I agree is pretty skimpy.
Rick,

They can try speaking with Henke at:
http://www.voramar-sosua.com/english/index.html

They have apartments and they are great people to deal with with clean accomodations. However, as I am sure you are aware; the rates have gone up almost everywhere due to the drop in the dollar and rise in the electric rates. Now on a private level anything can be possible. The way I see it everything in that neighbor hood of $320 US is off the mark and will be at least $400 per month US.

Scotty

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Well, to be honest I thought $300 US a month was a pretty long shot too. Even the rats are moving up to better hovels that cost more than that.

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
My "budget".....

First of all, thanks to everyone with your help... Second of all, I'm sorry to see that my post has caused such dispute between some people, although exactly why I'm not sure.

Back to my conitinuous search, I never said that my budget is 300$ Cdn, I was just asking how hard it would be. As I'm sure any other human being would be doing, I'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect and searching for the lowest price for what I'm looking for. One place I have been looking into is the Paraiso de Colon.... anyone been there? It looks very nice and she gave me a very reasonable rate. Also, One Ocean Place which also looks very nice but a little more expensive.

Thanks again for everyone's help, keep it comin!

Shawna