Robbery At Sti Airport

storm3059

Oct 23, 2004
At first I would like to say hello to everyone and thank DR1 for this forum to express our views and allow for us to share our encounters in the DR. On October 23, 2004 (last night) I arrived at STI for my Jetblue flight #426, back to JFK airport in New York, after having a fabolous five days in the DR.

After passing through customs I was stopped by a young security screener who had directed me to place all metal objects in the bin, which I complied. After placing my watch in the bowl that was provided for change and smaller objects, he immediatly took a liking to my watch then took it back out of the bowl to inspect. I would like to say that I have been to the DR many times in the past year, and dealt with the constant requests for change and offers to provide various deeds for little money to get by. But in this instance, I found myself standing in front of this young screener and his comrades (some of whom were armed) as he took my watch then placed it on his wrist then gave me his walmart special (watch) for me to have.

Unfortunately for me I don't speak good spanish and was running alittle late for this flight, so I didn't say much, not knowing exactly where this whole episode was taking me. I then proceeded through the metal detector to another security guard who wanted to check my bags, so I complied. As he was checking my bags, I had noticed that the same guy was watching as well as several other officers. Fearing for my life and liberty I just stood there and said nothing. by this time this officer had retrieved my cologne from my bag and sprayed it and said that he liked this and if he could have it, I said in english (if he could understand it or not) that it wasn't mine, so i guess he somehow understood what I was saying because he placed it back in my bag, then said when you come back to my country you bring me a small one, okay. So I said okay.

Thinking that this was all over, the same security officer then asked me if I had money for him and that he can take Dominican pesos if I have. I told him no, because I just took a taxi to airport and didn't have any money. He then pressured me to give him something, so I did, the same cheap watch that his buddy gave to me earlier. He was happy, however his buddy wasn't who was watching every bit of what was taking place. I then walked off without looking back towards the boarding area. I sat down next to a Dominican woman who was waiting to board the same flight and spoke alittle english. I told her what just happened to me at the checkpoint, and without any hesitation she jumped right up out of her seat to report the incident to jetblue. I asked her not too, either out of fear of retaliation or missing this flight due to what happened. I was tired and just wanted to get back to the states where I felt it would be in my best interest. She complied with my wishes, but expressed how embarrass she was for her country.

Once in flight, I had mentioned this to another passenger, who had stated that they had tried to shake him down for money, but he claimed not to understand and kept walking. I have since reported this to one of the flight attendants who gave me a name and e-mail address of the security director of jetblue and sent jetblue an e-mail requesting them to have one of the administrators call me at once. I will post their response here once I hear back from them. In addition, I would like to hear your response as too what I did wrong, or how you would have dealt with the situation if it had happened to you. Sorry for the long post, but I felt I had to share this with someone else who travels abroad.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My first reaction is

WHAT KIND OF A NERD ARE YOU??

How could you let this happen?? You don't have a voice? NOw you want the airline to do what you couldn't do?

Look man, they saw you for a wimp and took you. Just one good loud peep out of you and it would have been over.

God almighty!!

HB :(:(:(

BTW: I will report this ditectly to the airport administrator. Email me an exact discription of your watch and I will try and see if it can be found among these a$$holes. Who said that the PLD were any bettter than the PRD???

storm3059

Oct 23, 2004
Safe Then Sorry

In this situation, I decided to err on the side of caution than being a dead fool. I don't know the history or mental state of these indivuals, nor would I like to find out. Just imagine you facing several armed individuals with semi & automatic weapons at 1:00am, in the morning who wants what you have at an airport. Then imagine the same situation minus the airport and uniforms. This wasn't the fight that needed to be fought, especially when I'm outnumbered and out gunned in foreign territory.

Hillbilly said:
WHAT KIND OF A NERD ARE YOU??

How could you let this happen?? You don't have a voice? NOw you want the airline to do what you couldn't do?

Look man, they saw you for a wimp and took you. Just one good loud peep out of you and it would have been over.

God almighty!!

HB :(:(:(

BTW: I will report this ditectly to the airport administrator. Email me an exact discription of your watch and I will try and see if it can be found among these a$$holes. Who said that the PLD were any bettter than the PRD???

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
storm3059 said:
Just imagine you facing several armed individuals with semi & automatic weapons at 1:00am, in the morning who wants what you have at an airport.

A bit of a gross exaggeration of the firepower of the idiots at airport security I must say, nearly semi automatic unloaded used weapons they had to pay for themselves might be more accurate.

The previous post was right, you raise an eyebrow or your voice, as to this type fo thing and nothing is taken from you. General advice to tourists - put things of value in your bag before the X-ray not in the tray and since the blind guys they hire to read the X-ray won't see it you won't get into a hassle.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
They wanted to go through my carry on and I took out the travelers checks I had out of it first and then they wanted to take them from me and I said NO. I said I would count for them and it was under 10k. One dope was insisting and I said NO he wasn't going to handle my money. Finally his boss said let me through. This was leaving the country. This was trying to leave the country.

Another time coming into the country they asked for $20 US dollars and I gave them 100 pesos so they would NOT wrinkle my clothes. They went through the bag and then asked for more. I told them FLUCK NO.

This place will stay a BANANA Republic till the government gets people with the slightest amount of class working the airports.

Let me give you a tip. DO NOT speak spanish to these guys. When they ask you something keep walking and smiling and laughing and talking ENGLISH. They will try to take advantage of you if you speak Spanish to them. These are the biggest bunch of Scum Bags and the worst part of humanity. They should just take them behind the hangers and shoot the SOB's.

Why this government allows this crap to go on is totally beyond me.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Scott is right. Every time I come here thru POP bringing stuff for my house they try to steal it. Every stupid little thing. "Why do I have acoffee maker if I am on vacation ?" one dumazz asked me. "because its for my fricking house" I replied then he let me go.

Most of the time I just say "no comprendo" and keep on walking. This always seems to work.

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
Strange and weird

I can't help but wonder... My wife and I have gone through STI too at 1:00am and had no problems with none of these security guys. We travel with large and heavy bags full of equipment. I'm European and my wife could easily be mistaken for a Dominican due to her looks but is actually from another Latin country.

Nobody tried to take anything from us or asked for money. Maybe it's the way how I dress. While traveling I usually don't dress to impress - just the contrary. Sloppy shorts, T-Shirt and an attitude like "don't ask me anything, dude!".

Maybe this helps and is some "magic formula" as I was never bothered with anything in the worlds airports. Maybe the OP should try the "backpacker look" :)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
As has been said on here many times before, there are predetors and there are prey. You, my friend, are prey.

I recently flew into SDQ with a shitload of stuff for friends. Nothing illegal , but electronics and things of that nature that would raise eyebrows and cause hands to come out. As I was standing on the line to go through to metal detector, I saw a few people walk off the line and by-pass the machine. I walked tall and did the same. A customs agent ( or whatever she was) saw me. I looked her straight in the eye as I walked by and smiled. She smiled back and waved me through with her detector wand. You see, I am not prey.

I have been asked many times for a propina coming into the country and once for a souvenier upon leaving. I always look at them,smile and say " no hoy". They always smile back and wave me on. They then realize I am not prey and not worth trying to intimidate.

Look at yourself in the mirror before your next trip down and decide if you want to continue to be prey.

Larry

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have been in and out of Las Americas (Santo Domingo) many times and never had a problem. Never had anyone look in my bags or ask me for money.

I guess I don't make good prey :)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I went to Cuba with a friend who is Dominican. They stopped him and threatened to make him miss his plane if he didn't give money. Happened both going and coming from S.D. Airport.

This is a business man who has plenty of money and paid these Bozos. I was a bit peeved that he did pay them. I would have been happy to hang out for as long as it took to have them play themselves out.

This is one of my pet peeves about the Dominican Culture or lack of it and I couldnt care less what anyone else thinks, I think it is reprehensible and these bastards should be jailed for their crap they pull on Foreigners and Dominicans alike.

I think that Dominicans are probaby the most STUPID human beings on this earth for putting up with that bullcrap and will never get ahead while they let that crap go on!

Escott

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Last March, on our incoming, they tried to shake us down at the POP airport and they asked us in English so the "no comprendo" line doesn't work but we, in unison, my husband and I, turned around to look as though we were looking for someone in particular and called out a name. We called out the name "Joe". The customs guy watched this, quickly zipped up the bag and pushed it through. So another ploy must be worked out because they know to ask in English and they have no qualms about it!!!!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
This is sad

I have never seen or experienced anything like this.
I've only been to Puerto Plata 4 times and each time has been a breeze coming and going.
Sorry to hear about such despicable conduct and I hope I never become an attractive target but if I do I will be sure to make them want to quickly move on to someone else.
I would think these guys are looking for quick and easy extorted tips and would be quick to back down from any escalation of the confrontation.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Robbery

Well,

It's hard for me to say. because I have not being back to DR since I left but I am planning to go back at the first week of January 2005 or first week of April
I don't have intention to cause problem but if some body take any Item from me they will get a problem. I dont know if I am allowed to carry a video camera inside there but if I am allowed I will film and fight back if some body try to get my stuff that cost me money and work.

Sound stupid I know but I am not going to give money or give stuff to people to pressure me to do it at the Dominican Airport.

King of Pain

Aug 29, 2004
Larry...another possibility they "wave you on" is because.....

....they know you only have one shirt ............haha.

"I have been asked many times for a propina coming into the country and once for a souvenier upon leaving. I always look at them,smile and say " no hoy". They always smile back and wave me on. They then realize I am not prey and not worth trying to intimidate." Larry[/QUOTE]

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
King of Pain said:
....they know you only have one shirt ............haha.

"I have been asked many times for a propina coming into the country and once for a souvenier upon leaving. I always look at them,smile and say " no hoy". They always smile back and wave me on. They then realize I am not prey and not worth trying to intimidate." Larry
[/QUOTE]

Dave, you are funny...heheh. BTW, what happened to that other interesting screenname you created a month or so ago?

Larry

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As a tourist you have a lot more pull than you think. The last thing they want is a tourist raising hell in front of everybody. You know, kind of like a restaurant not wanting a customer to raise their voice in front of other customers.
My experience at STI was actually the opposite. I was leaving the country on Jetblue and as I went through security I put my computer bag through the machine. A guy then inspected it. When he was done, he told me "To make sure next time I don't leave my money exposed like that, because someone may take it"...I had completely forgotten that I had about 300 USD in the front pocket of my computer bag. In plain view. I couldn't believe the honesty of this guy.
I still can't believe the guy just took your watch and you didn't say anything at all.

spiderman

Jun 17, 2002
just dress like you dont care

when i come from DR or go to it, i always dress like crap lol no one ask me for any money, they assume i have none. i remember i came back from DR last time in flip flops.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Did you really think that you were going to get gunned down in the middle of a Airport for a watch?

storm3059 said:
In this situation, I decided to err on the side of caution than being a dead fool. I don't know the history or mental state of these indivuals, nor would I like to find out. Just imagine you facing several armed individuals with semi & automatic weapons at 1:00am, in the morning who wants what you have at an airport. Then imagine the same situation minus the airport and uniforms. This wasn't the fight that needed to be fought, especially when I'm outnumbered and out gunned in foreign territory.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I think the depiction of weaponry was pretty much a fantasy and the whole thing was pretty hyperbolic.

storm3059

Oct 23, 2004
Follow Up

The following day(Oct 24), I received a message from a Jet blue rep. advising me that they have conducted an investigation into the theft of my watch and similar problems that have been occurring at that airport. I have since received a call from a security agent of jetblue who called me from Santo Domingo and assured me that he will be meeting with a high ranking military official who oversees the security at the airport, and will make sure that the individuals involved are dealt with swiftly. I will keep you posted as to what the final outcome will be.