Extended travel advice

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Looking for some advice.

I want to visit the DR for a period of 4 months. The travel agency I usually book with says that I should book on an american airline like AA or delta and transfer because you cannot get a 4 month trip direct from canada on a charter airline. A friend in Houston advised me that it might be cheaper to take a bus to Buffalo and do a transfer flight from there. ( I don't see how when I will be paying in american funds)

I also need to know what kind of legal stuff I have to do here before I leave cause on the back of the tourist visa it says that a person can only stay in the DR for a period of 15 days. I don't want to have to bribe any customs agents like I have read in other forums or pay a penalty.

Is it better/more affordable to buy a one way ticket or buy for a duration of 4 months?

Another travel agent told me I have to get shots/vaccinations??? :cry:

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Buy the cheapest charter ticket you can get and just don't use the return ticket. When it's time to come home contact the same airline and buy another charter ticket home.
I don't think you can buy one way ticket unless you have residency.

Don't really need shots unless you want to. If so the hep A would be a good idea.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not Recommended

Anna Coniglio said:
Buy the cheapest charter ticket you can get and just don't use the return ticket. When it's time to come home contact the same airline and buy another charter ticket home.
I don't think you can buy one way ticket unless you have residency.

Don't really need shots unless you want to. If so the hep A would be a good idea.

Anna, I think it is really bad advice trying to set up a one way charter deal like this as it is really quite difficult and totally uncertain as to getting a return flight - involving possibly checking with multiple airports and hounding tour companies or travel agencies, for empty seats at inopportune times.

To the OP: what she is saying is if they have a flight to Toronto that is not fully sold you can sometimes mooch a seat on that flight since they would rather have someting than an empty seat - of course the flaw in the logic is that they may not have any empty seats, flight after flight after flight. The other flaw is that the cost of the 1/2 round trip and the mooched return is probably as much as a scheduled airline ticket.

To the OP: one way tickets on regular airlines are very expensive (they are full fare and probably cost more for 1/2 a trip, than an advanced booked round trip) - buy a round trip from , it sounds like Canada, on AA (via MIA) or CO (via EWR) , and you will find if you want to change the return date, say to 3 months or 5 months you can call the airline in Santo Domingo (BEFORE THE ACTUAL RETURN DATE!!) or go to the airport ticket office, pay a US$100 fee and the fare differential, often zero, and change the dates. It is far easier now, than in the past, to do this.

And you will find some (well, all) airlines won't sell a one way ticket to a foreign country if that country insists on passengers having a round trip ticket anyway - even if migracion in the DR airport doesn't ask the airline may refuse passage when you try to board in Toronto.

As for shots if you think there is any chance of being sexually active get the Hepatitis A and B shots over the prescribed time interval, but Hep A for certain - since it is spread by food, water, ice, dirty hands, you name it. Also make sure your childhood vaccines are current as they are not likely to be - Diptheria, Polio, etc.

As to leaving after 15 days - there is a set fee schedule, often concealed at the airport for overstays - for 4 months you are looking at no more than 200 pesos, if that, more like 100 pesos.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You are more than likely right Rick I was only going by what I did a few years a go and saved $500 by doing it that way. I had no problems returning home but it was early Dec.

profe

Oct 25, 2004
Overstay Fee

The penalty (overstay) fee chart is attached to the customs booths(plainly visible).They attempted to charge me $5US,for overstaying my visa (7 days).However I only offered 100 Rd(which he threw back at me and said"pase"). As Rick said, it would probably amount to a hundred or so pesos.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
profe said:
The penalty (overstay) fee chart is attached to the customs booths(plainly visible).They attempted to charge me $5US,for overstaying my visa (7 days).However I only offered 100 Rd(which he threw back at me and said"pase"). As Rick said, it would probably amount to a hundred or so pesos.

Is this THE Profe? Send a clue so I know.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
If you can get a cheap flight from canada to JFK. I would suggest you fly Jet Blue one way to the DR. Their one way rates unlike most airlines are not almost as much or even more than round trip. Even if you book your flight with little advance, the fares are pretty darn good. If you book a round trip and need to make a change, the fee is $25 in stead of the 100 that most other airlines charge.

The only downside I have found, is the flights arrive and leave at ungodly hours.
Arriving at 2:00 am etc, doesn't leave one many options for getting a few Presidentes on the first night.

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into the costs for either option.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Its worked for me for over fifteen years now!

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
Looking for some advice.

I want to visit the DR for a period of 4 months. The travel agency I usually book with says that I should book on an american airline like AA or delta and transfer because you cannot get a 4 month trip direct from canada on a charter airline. A friend in Houston advised me that it might be cheaper to take a bus to Buffalo and do a transfer flight from there. ( I don't see how when I will be paying in american funds)

I also need to know what kind of legal stuff I have to do here before I leave cause on the back of the tourist visa it says that a person can only stay in the DR for a period of 15 days. I don't want to have to bribe any customs agents like I have read in other forums or pay a penalty.

Is it better/more affordable to buy a one way ticket or buy for a duration of 4 months?

Another travel agent told me I have to get shots/vaccinations??? :cry:

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Go to www.selloffvacations.com

Book a two way ticket to the DR, and use only half, throw your return away. When you are ready to go back to Toronto buy a ticket one way from a number of Company's that return to Canada. (Least expensive way bar none) You are allowed to stay for three months and if they decide to fine you I think not, it will be MAX $10.00.
This is my two cents Canadian worth having traveled back and forth to Toronto over the past 16 years.....And If I may ad I have never not been able to get a flight back when I wanted it!
Good Luck

Gringo

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Gringo said:
Go to www.selloffvacations.com

Book a two way ticket to the DR, and use only half, throw your return away. When you are ready to go back to Toronto buy a ticket one way from a number of Company's that return to Canada. (Least expensive way bar none) You are allowed to stay for three months and if they decide to fine you I think not, it will be MAX $10.00.
This is my two cents Canadian worth having traveled back and forth to Toronto over the past 16 years.....And If I may ad I have never not been able to get a flight back when I wanted it!
Good Luck

Gringo

Actually the tourist card, covered ad infinitum here over the past 6 months is 15 days not 3 months and the amount of the fine (much less than MAX $10) and the advice to do what you are suggesting was covered in prior posts right here in fact.

I think trying to find a return flight under the conditions you propose is bad advice and can be quite difficult depending on the city and the time of the year one tries to do that, compared to the round trip with a 3 or 4 month retrun date and a simple call to the airline to change it and get a confirmed flight, date, time and airport.

There is also no guarantee that the sum of a round trip charter, 1/2 used plus a one way charter will be less than an advance booked round trip on a scheduled airline.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Ouch!!

It really hurts me to think that I might have to throw away one half of a ticket and then buy another when i'm ready to return. That's money down the drain. :cry:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Return tickets

The problem is that most companies will not give you a return date 3 or 4 months out!!! Even if you change it after getting here, they won't let you return that far in the future.

Unless you have residencia, you must have a return ticket to come here. That is for certain.

Buying a ticket and then changing the return date that far out, to my knowledge, can't be done.

Here is what I know works:

Buy a cheap return ticket. Throw away the return.

A couple weeks before you want to go home start contacting the airlines and charters. As long as you have some flexibility on timing, city of departure and airlines - don't worry! You will get home. Pay the very small fine at the airport.

I have several friends who do this regularly!

And, some additional info: SOmetimes you can find a package of hotel and airfare cheaper then you can find a flight only!!! Check the charters. FOr almost the same or even less money you can stay in a reasonable hotel for a week! And of course you don't actually have to use that portion either if it is cheaper then the flight only..... Just a thought.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Codswallop!!!!!!

planner said:
The problem is that most companies will not give you a return date 3 or 4 months out!!! Even if you change it after getting here, they won't let you return that far in the future.

Post facts, not thoughts.

I just went to my trusted AA.com and put in a Nov 4 flight Toronto to SDQ returning 8 MONTHS later. I have a choice of about 20 flights from CDN$650 to CDN $1100 and the change fee is $100 US if you call to change it collected at the airport.

I have changed return flights with AA on restricted tickets a dozen times and they just change it and charge the fare differential which is rarely enough to worry about if you are giving them notice.

Typically US based scheduled airlines sell tickets out 330 days.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
profe said:
It is THE Profe (y fantasmo). :cross-eye

Thought so........ I am skipping Xmas, so far as I know going to Managua again (I am headed there a week from Friday as well). The 32:1 peso is a pain since prices go up and not down, crazy-a_s_s place.

profe

Oct 25, 2004
Sorry to hear that ,I looked forward to the X-mas and New Years meeting(and evading dinner at the hotel).Enjoy Managua. Profe :cross-eye

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
profe said:
Sorry to hear that ,I looked forward to the X-mas and New Years meeting(and evading dinner at the hotel).Enjoy Managua. Profe :cross-eye

I might change my mind if the peso hits 40 again or stores lower prices or both.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Long term stay restrictions by DR government?

ricktoronto said:
Post facts, not thoughts.

I just went to my trusted AA.com and put in a Nov 4 flight Toronto to SDQ returning 8 MONTHS later. I have a choice of about 20 flights from CDN$650 to CDN $1100 and the change fee is $100 US if you call to change it collected at the airport.

I have changed return flights with AA on restricted tickets a dozen times and they just change it and charge the fare differential which is rarely enough to worry about if you are giving them notice.

Typically US based scheduled airlines sell tickets out 330 days.

My husband and I have been spending our Winters in the DR for the past 4 years. We were able to get a return flight for 5-6 months no problem. Some were a little pricy, but we have a travel agent now who can accomodate this for $1000 CDN, tax in, per person, out of Montreal.
My real concern is that the 90 day travel Visa seems to have changed to 14 days (It's on the new Tourist Visas) and I have heard through the grapevine that you will be charged $1.50 per day after that. Does anybody have any solid information about this? I don't understand how they can do this. There are so many European visitors who are coming for more than two weeks. I guess the country is desperate for money?!!!!