Studying in the DR?

yoviher

Jun 3, 2004
This is the matter.

I do speak Spanish as a native language. I am Puerto Rican, living in the west coast of Puerto Rico (as close as you can get to the DR without getting wet).

Now, honestly, I want to make sure I go to a decent university. And the ones here, even the UPR are a mess. Therefore I am looking all over.

I am asking the ones who know their way around the DR much better than I do (I have been there many times, but never lived) what universities are worth their salt in the DR. I am looking for the humanities. History and the Humanities.

Any help here?

someone

Oct 15, 2004
yoviher said:
This is the matter.

I do speak Spanish as a native language. I am Puerto Rican, living in the west coast of Puerto Rico (as close as you can get to the DR without getting wet).

Now, honestly, I want to make sure I go to a decent university. And the ones here, even the UPR are a mess. Therefore I am looking all over.

I am asking the ones who know their way around the DR much better than I do (I have been there many times, but never lived) what universities are worth their salt in the DR. I am looking for the humanities. History and the Humanities.

Any help here?

The education in the dominican republic is plain awful. Honestly, you should think over and over again before you chose coming here. I suggest that perphaps you consider some other latin american country to study. If not, the best universities here is the PUCMM and INTEC. So check out their web pages.
The pros of universities here is that they're easy to get in, not expensive and afterwards if you're interested in applying for graduate school anyone can easily obtain a scholarship to a foreign country such as USA or anywhere in Europe.
Whatever you do, please be careful and think things through. Hope I was of any help and good luck!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Neither of these will suit you

Most universities in the DR are geared to jobs and there are no jobs in History or the Humanities.
I know that the PUCMM does not offer any degrees in the Humanities, and I doubt that Indec would either.

Why not try R?o Piedras? They used to have a pretty good Humanities department...And la Inter in Hato Rey used to have an excellent Linguistics and History departments...

Of course you can always try a university in the states....

HB :D

yoviher

Jun 3, 2004
Okay, don't ask me about the Inter... they have collapsed lately. The R?o Piedras people are the most decent thing in humanities around here. Its true their faculty has gone to a low end lately, compared to back in the olden days, but they are fairly good.

After having made this post, I decided to do a search in this forum for "Studying in the DR". Thats when I started getting an idea of it being awful and started to think that the next thing that was gonna happen was a post calling me a total idiot to even think of such a thing as crossing to go study there.

I think I am gonna start looking again elsewhere.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The States

Go to the States - You have a US passport - If your grades are anywhere near passable, lots of the Ivy League colleges might be interested in you. I had two girls that I brought into the States from Bosnia during the war and they both got complete free 4 year tuition -- I recommend you start looking at George Washington University in Washington, DC, at Harvard (oh yea - are you that bright?? but they are so highly endowed that they actually do not have to charge tuition) Tulane in New Orleans, Middlebury in Vermont--

What is your primary field of interest? There is a medical school program in Cuba and they have the reputation of being the finest doctors in all of Latin America.

Talk more.

Were are you living? I have family in Rincon and Boqueron in Cabo Rojo.

Cheers -
Elizabeth