Dancing With Local Senoritas On The North Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
I'd like to know if theres any good, safe, places to meet and dance with Dominican woman in Sosua, Cabarete, or Puerto Plata. When I say a good, safe, place; I mean a place where the woman are more interested in socializing and dancing with you, instead of just trying to get you into the bushes. Previously I've tried to exprience "some of the local culture" on the south shore, only to discouver I was ending in places where the local Senoritas whent to pick up gringos for money.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Jackson said:
I'd like to know if theres any good, safe, places to meet and dance with Dominican woman in Sosua, Cabarete, or Puerto Plata. When I say a good, safe, place; I mean a place where the woman are more interested in socializing and dancing with you, instead of just trying to get you into the bushes. Previously I've tried to exprience "some of the local culture" on the south shore, only to discouver I was ending in places where the local Senoritas whent to pick up gringos for money.

Puerto Plata is your best bet on the North Coast. Sosua/El Batey/Los Charamicos, La Union, Cabarete, Sabaneta de Yasica and other areas are simply full of sankies and sankiettes lurking to take away Pablo Duarte from you.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Where did you go on the south coast? Boca Chica? If so Sosua would be pretty similar when it comes to nightlife. In santo domingo, there are TONS of places to go out dancing and plenty of senoritas that love to dance. Unless you wind up in remington palace, I couldn't see you dancing with "pros".

Jackson said:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Pureto Plata Dancing

Hi Jackson, there are some places here in Puerto Plata where you can go dance and not worry too much. Several clubs are targeted at locals and not tourists. They do not play that american music crap that everyone thinks the tourists want to listen to.

Orion - good choice, larger, hot inside, great music, only open on Saturday and sunday nights right now. Slightly higher end market.

La Barrica - smaller, very dark inside, hard to see, good music, open every night. Average target market.

Mountainview - open air but covered, good music but there are lots of women of the night here. THe one good night to go here is Friday as they play more salsa if you are into that. I am, so usually you can find me here on a Friday night. YOu have to know which women to dance with here my friend. I've even had these women try to set me up with men..... no thanks. Just dancing. Lower end target market but trying to improve.

La Canita - open air but covered, good music, lots of women to dance with and yes, some ladies of the night... Much lower targer market.

El Campito - open air and partly covered. Really nice place that is targeting the middle and upper class market and visitors! Dead dead dead unless there is live music! When they have a band playing it is awesome. NIce big dance floor that they were in the process of building a roof over!!! It is one of my favourite places. Not many ladies of the night there...

OF course there are other place, car wash etc... but these are the most popular....

As I go out dancing all the time, just let me know if you want a personal guide!!!! No problem...LOL

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Names of Places?

Dancing and meeting senoritas is also of interest to me and a lot of others I'd imagine. Does anyone know the names of at least a couple of places in Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo where this would be possible?
Also, it is true that dance clubs like JetSet won't admit singles but only couples?

Thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jackson,

Planner listed most of my favorite dance spots in PP, but I can add a bit from a male perspective. If you are going alone and "only" want to dance, you shouldn't rule out places where the waitresses and some of the customers may be "available" for more. I almost always bring my dance partner with me, but at a place like Mountain View, I will often ask one of the girls (usually the one waiting our table) to dance, just for fun. I also enjoy going to Patio de Johnny, which is a carwash disco. The situation is similar there, and the waitresses (most of whom are on the "reubenesque" side) love to dance and are good partners. it's part of their job! Another place (my novia's favorite because she has amigas that work there) is a little club called El Ferry on the carretera. Nice atmosphere, sweet waitresses and for a small propina the DJ will pretty much play whatever style of music you prefer for as long as you like.

If you are really determined to find "non-professional" dance partners, I'd say La Canita or La Barrica are your best bets, although La Barrica is so damned dark you'll have to be careful you're not asking a guy to dance! :cry:

Jackson

Sep 12, 2004
Puerto Plata Dancing

Hola Planner!

Como esta usted? Mucho gracias for all your input!! I'm currently taking Salsa, and Spanish lessons - so I hope I can make the most of my trip to your bonita country! I'd like to take you up on you're offer, that is if you were being serious. If you're game, por favor send me back a private message.

Again, gracias.

Jackson.

planner said:
Hi Jackson, there are some places here in Puerto Plata where you can go dance and not worry too much. Several clubs are targeted at locals and not tourists. They do not play that american music crap that everyone thinks the tourists want to listen to.

Orion - good choice, larger, hot inside, great music, only open on Saturday and sunday nights right now. Slightly higher end market.

La Barrica - smaller, very dark inside, hard to see, good music, open every night. Average target market.

Mountainview - open air but covered, good music but there are lots of women of the night here. THe one good night to go here is Friday as they play more salsa if you are into that. I am, so usually you can find me here on a Friday night. YOu have to know which women to dance with here my friend. I've even had these women try to set me up with men..... no thanks. Just dancing. Lower end target market but trying to improve.

La Canita - open air but covered, good music, lots of women to dance with and yes, some ladies of the night... Much lower targer market.

El Campito - open air and partly covered. Really nice place that is targeting the middle and upper class market and visitors! Dead dead dead unless there is live music! When they have a band playing it is awesome. NIce big dance floor that they were in the process of building a roof over!!! It is one of my favourite places. Not many ladies of the night there...

OF course there are other place, car wash etc... but these are the most popular....

As I go out dancing all the time, just let me know if you want a personal guide!!!! No problem...LOL

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Malibook said:
I like Hemingway's, Mountainview, and Crazy Moon.

Maybe I'll try some of the places Planner listed as well as a couple of discos in Sosua.

3 more days to go.

About 8 months ago an Air Force officer friend of mine wanted to go to Hemmingways and Half Moon just to see how the tourists live and party. He brought his wife and I brought a date. We were dressed respectful in slacks and nice collared shirts which is typical for Dominican men. Our dates were dressed in skirts and heels with nice blouses which is typical for respectful Dominican women (not spandex with the "camel toe" hanging out). Well, the women were harrassed by drunken tourists with these oversexed morons groping at them in front of us as if they were available pieces of meat. The women handled the morons well without us having to intervene. The officer friend started out amused but increasingly grew more and more disgusted and angry. When a rather large blonde haired and obviously intoxicated young man decided to dive off of his table and onto ours did we decide to get the heck out of "Dodge". So much for the officer's interest in gringos.

Now, if you are into this kind of scene then congratulations! Hemmingways and Halfmoons is your place to go. Good luck, have fun and wear a helmet!

Scotty

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
DominicanScotty said:
Puerto Plata is your best bet on the North Coast. Sosua/El Batey/Los Charamicos, La Union, Cabarete, Sabaneta de Yasica and other areas are simply full of sankies and sankiettes lurking to take away Pablo Duarte from you.

Well, no disrespect to Scotty, but as long as you stay in the tourist traps (POP included) you will get the same thing. If you are willing to drive a bit to Nagua, there are two great cubs there, Virus, and the other one I will have to get my sweet Naeroby to post because I can't for the life of me remember how to spell the name. They are located around the town square park there.Both clubs are always packed so tight after 10 pm that you better be there early. I think they are open Thursday through Sunday and will be open mostly all night ususally. They are full of REAL local girls (so you should know some Spanish),they all LOVE to dance, Thursday is Karaoke night at one of them, and the added bonus is that you won't pay twice the price for a beer like you do on the tourist areas. No American music played there either, just Salsa, Merengue, and other music popular in the DR. Both are super air conditioned even when there is no power. I have also stayed in the Aparta Central Hotel which is above our favorite bar there, for 600 pesos per night.

Sweetie, if you are reading this, can you post the name of that club for the people here? Maybe we can get some DR1 people to try Nagua for a change.:)

-Tim

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
What style?

What salsastyle do the dominicans dance? Are there any danceschools in the nort, where it would be possible to learn it?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
twincactus said:
Well, no disrespect to Scotty, but as long as you stay in the tourist traps (POP included) you will get the same thing. If you are willing to drive a bit to Nagua, there are two great cubs there, Virus, and the other one I will have to get my sweet Naeroby to post because I can't for the life of me remember how to spell the name. They are located around the town square park there.Both clubs are always packed so tight after 10 pm that you better be there early. I think they are open Thursday through Sunday and will be open mostly all night ususally. They are full of REAL local girls (so you should know some Spanish),they all LOVE to dance, Thursday is Karaoke night at one of them, and the added bonus is that you won't pay twice the price for a beer like you do on the tourist areas. No American music played there either, just Salsa, Merengue, and other music popular in the DR. Both are super air conditioned even when there is no power. I have also stayed in the Aparta Central Hotel which is above our favorite bar there, for 600 pesos per night.

Sweetie, if you are reading this, can you post the name of that club for the people here? Maybe we can get some DR1 people to try Nagua for a change.:)

-Tim

twincactus,

I've been to Virus, and everything you said about it is true. I would add however that (at least the night I was there) the club, and the dance floor were so crowded that it was difficult to move, let alone dance. I would also recommend ear plugs for the average gringo entering this place. The incredible volume and also the strobe lights bombarded my senses to a point that I had to leave after a couple of hours. Also, not being fluent in Spanish, the loud music made communication even more difficult. Upscale place though, and not a tourist or a "sankiette" in sight.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
DominicanScotty said:
Now, if you are into this kind of scene then congratulations! Hemmingways and Halfmoons is your place to go. Good luck, have fun and wear a helmet!

Scotty

Hola Scotty.

Obviously I am not into the kind of scene you describe.
I have never had any problems in these places but I have had numerous great times.
One can encounter idiots anywhere but it is usually somewhat isolated rather than typical.

2 more days to go for me.

Adios amigos and amigas.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MOre dancing...

MOre of my opinion....

Hemingways and Crazy Moon are tourist traps - over prices, over rated and full of Sankies and Sankiettes! And they play really crappy tourist music which I hate.

I'm going to have to try some of the other places listed - anyone else want to go???

Jackson I sent you a PM and will gladly go out dancing. That offer stands for anyone else as well!!!

Salsa : Mexx78 you are asking about salsa. Well here it is truly Dominican style!!! First of all the footwork is totally opposite of what I have danced everywhere else I have been in the world! The men everywhere else go forward on their left foot on a basic salsa step! Right... Here they do not, they go forward on their right foot. So, to proactice in anticipation of coming here to dance - do the opposite of what you are used to. OR, for the men only, just dance salsa with me!!! LOL

I've had to learn to dance both ways.

Also, here salsa dancing is all about the men! They love to show off. And, most men here do not actually dance a salsa they dance a mambo. They dance a 6 beat pattern instead of an 8. Easy to accomodate. They love to dance it really really fast but not necessarily well.

The women here in Puerto Plata (I can't speak for Santiago or Santo Domingo) are basically just there...not much style or florish of their own.

Are their dance lessons? NOt that I have found. There are in Santiago though......

Mexx78, I can give you some lessons if you like......LOL

mexx78

Jan 23, 2004
planner said:
MOre of my opinion....

The women here in Puerto Plata (I can't speak for Santiago or Santo Domingo) are basically just there...not much style or florish of their own.

Are their dance lessons? NOt that I have found. There are in Santiago though......

Mexx78, I can give you some lessons if you like......LOL

Thanx for the information.... so it'll be Bachata with the local ladies and Salsa with the girl im (hopefully) coming with. Shes a LA Styler (triple+ spinning girl without loosing focus ;) ) but also can dance columbian style. Im really looking fwd to come. Which of the above mentioned names is best for Salsa and Bachata? We'll be staying in Sosua but are planning on traveling a lot around to get to know all the clubs and have lot of fun.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hey....

HI Mexx78, you can salsa on friday nights at Mountainview and bachatta everywhere! NO porblem. Okay, I want to watch you guys dance at the very least then!!! It's been so long since I've seen good salsa. I was in Las Vegas 5 years ago and did a 3 day Salsa convention with teachers from LA, amazing!! I had so much fun but my feet were falling off by the end...

When are you coming down?

In Sosua you can go to D'Latino and Classico and do some latin dancing. There music seems to change with the crowd.

Also, if I know when you are coming I can tell you about live concerts!!! Some great Latin musicians and groups and it is very inexpensive for you!

d life

Oct 11, 2004
Nagua from Puerto Plata

How far is Nagua from Puerto Plata? And what is the best and easiest way to get there. I am interested in taking a look at some of the places mentioned.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
you can't miss it!

d life said:
How far is Nagua from Puerto Plata? And what is the best and easiest way to get there. I am interested in taking a look at some of the places mentioned.

Nagua is roughly a 2 hour drive from PP (depending on traffic and how good you are at dodging potholes), and it couldn't be easier to find. Just head East from PP on the carretera (#5). You will go through Sosua, Cabarete, and Garcia Hernandez (a bit of a bottleneck), and then past Rio San Juan. About a half hour after Rio San Juan it will take you right into Nagua. You'll know you're close when you cross the rio Boba. Before they built the new bridge, the view crossing this river on the old one was spectacular. Now you can't see a thing.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
sweetdbt said:
Nagua is roughly a 2 hour drive from PP (depending on traffic and how good you are at dodging potholes), and it couldn't be easier to find. Just head East from PP on the carretera (#5). You will go through Sosua, Cabarete, and Garcia Hernandez (a bit of a bottleneck), and then past Rio San Juan. About a half hour after Rio San Juan it will take you right into Nagua. You'll know you're close when you cross the rio Boba. Before they built the new bridge, the view crossing this river on the old one was spectacular. Now you can't see a thing.

Directions are great. The small town is called Gaspar Hernandez, not Garcia Hernandez though.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
mexx78 said:
What salsastyle do the dominicans dance? Are there any danceschools in the nort, where it would be possible to learn it?

Dominicans start out salsa on the opposite foot. Their style is different then any other style of salsa.

Status
Not open for further replies.