Junior Colleges??? Literacy!!!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I read with both amusement & frustration the recent seriis of artilces addressing the idea of establishing one, or a group, of 2 year vocational schools [which I term generically & I hope fairly "Jr. Colleges"] in the DR,
1st in Santo Domingo, then in ?
Amusement? Why? The actual literacy rate in the DR is 25% 30%; I've been living here for 8 years; I don't care what the UNICEF testing or the DR educational establishment says! 25 - 30% of DRs are functinally literate. Maybe fewer.
95% of DRs fail to graduate from high school - as low as current standards are; why worry @ what the 5% of those who graduate, some of who are literate, will do for a living?? What @ the 95%??
Amusement?? This is one more DR boondoggle; the political elite & "botellas" will get all of the teachng jobs. Qualfiled teachers? My estimate? 15 - 25%. More $ wasted; nothing to show for it. This is, in the opinion of 1 Gringo, 1 huge waste of time & energy? Am I wrong? Possible? Check in 5 years.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually, I do not think you are far off the mark

Albeit a wee jaded on the possibility of any successes in this venture.

I think that it could be made to work, only because there is a job market across the street. Perhaps the carrot will make the thing work...See school? See jobs?? (1) Go to school then (2) Get job

Maybe something so simple will work.

I would much prefer the elimination of the Armed Forces, but once again, what would we do with thousands of uneducated, parasitical people who know how to operate weapons...? A conundrum...

Anyway, even it it serves to get a few hundred kids off the streets, I think that the JC idea is workable. How far or how good is a whole nother pot to boil...

HB