Teaching English in the DR

SID

Mar 31, 2003
Can anybody please tell me if there's a demand for TESL (teaching english as a second language) teachers in the DR. I'dn like to move and teach over there. Muchas Gracias ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, of course there is

But you should know that there are a lot of people doing this and you would have to hustle and teachat a couple of different places. You might see if there are job fairs near you. Try going to www.iss.edu and see if you might find something there.

Otherwise you had best come here, make contacts, do the rounds and see what you can come up with...it may be good and it may be disappointing.

HB

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Asia

I spent some years in Taiwan. I know for a fact that you have much better chances of getting a TESL job in that part of the world. I met many nice people from both the US and Canada who did just that.

Solituna

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
No problem, come here first, take the english test, very simple, and start earning about 100 pesos/hr (currently about US$3) with a graduate degree maybe 110pesos/hr. There is a great demand. I found a job quickly. The trick is living on that salary.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In SD you can earn more than RD$100 an hour, if you are a native speaker, TEFL/TESL qualified and/or experienced, but it's only slightly more and still not enough to live on. I'm a former TEFL teacher who has done some private English teaching in SD as a favour for a friend, so if you would like a contact for the language agency I worked for, send me a PM.

Another possibility would be a teaching post in one of the many private schools that provide a bilingual or English education. I don't know what the salaries are like but it's worth looking into.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Boots on the coral

chiquita Lynn said:
Can Anybody please help me out by telling me how you go about getting a job teaching in the DR???
You really need to be in the country to get a job there.

The greater point is that you'll want to have all of the best information before taking a job anywhere, but even moreso in a place you (most likely) have no idea about; where to live, how you're going to get about, to and fro, etc. Don't kid yourself to think that "i'll just make it work", that would be very naive. That work needs to be done before the bell rings.

A degree, illustrious recommendations and experience are excellent carry-on luggage to bring, but afar, they are just wispy clouds on the horizon (on a dark night).

In my experience anyway, I can't fathom a school - or an ESL business - signing you up "sight-unseen".

Don't be discouraged at all, just be there to make it worth your investment.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
people here are ALWAYS on a "learning English" kick. you do not have to have a degree- you only have to speak english well and have the teacher's edition of any text. you can make good money giving private lessons- more along the lines of RD$250 an hour- corporations pay more for their executives to have private lessons.
all you have to do is put the word out and in no time you'll be beating them back with a stick.
you can also check out the Instituto Cultural Dominico-Americano- they give short courses in ESL and can get you started.