American Airlines Crash 2001

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One of my American friends have forward me an article about the American Airlines Crash in 2001 that was bounded for SDQ.

A new report came out recently explaining (or trying to explain) what caused the American Airlines flight 587 from JFK(NY) to SDQ in 2001 to crash into a New York City neighborhood, killing 265 people, mostly Dominicans.

The report blames Pilot error for the crash. Apparently, American Airlines has trained its pilot the wrong way of using the rudder (it control the tail of the Airplane, helps it stabalize, especially during turbulence). The airplane model made by Airbus that American Airlines uses to fly from NYC to SDQ has a super sensitive (more so than other airplane models) rudder, which could exacerbate the stress imposed on the tail in a turbulence environment.

Apparently, the airplane after taking off JFK International hit some turbulence while ascending in altitude. Apparently, the pilots over reacted and caused more stress on the tail than usual, enough to break the tail off and plunge the airplane down to the ground killing 265 sons and daughter of the Dominican Republic and a few non-Dominicans.

There is a lot more to this and you can read it at the following link:
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20041026072609990001

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nal0whs said:
One of my American friends have forward me an article about the American Airlines Crash in 2001 that was bounded for SDQ.

A new report came out recently explaining (or trying to explain) what caused the American Airlines flight 587 from JFK(NY) to SDQ in 2001 to crash into a New York City neighborhood, killing 265 people, mostly Dominicans.

The report blames Pilot error for the crash. Apparently, American Airlines has trained its pilot the wrong way of using the rudder (it control the tail of the Airplane, helps it stabalize, especially during turbulence). The airplane model made by Airbus that American Airlines uses to fly from NYC to SDQ has a super sensitive (more so than other airplane models) rudder, which could exacerbate the stress imposed on the tail in a turbulence environment.

Apparently, the airplane after taking off JFK International hit some turbulence while ascending in altitude. Apparently, the pilots over reacted and caused more stress on the tail than usual, enough to break the tail off and plunge the airplane down to the ground killing 265 sons and daughter of the Dominican Republic and a few non-Dominicans.

There is a lot more to this and you can read it at the following link:
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20041026072609990001
There are many, many versions of what happened to that plane but so far NOONE has come up with a specific idea of what happened.

I have been following that incident since the day that it happened because my aunt was one of the passanger that was aboard that plane. Also, the mother and brother of a friend of mine here in Reading, Pa, were aboard that plane too.

So far, nothing is concrete. And I believe that we will never know!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Sorry to hear that Miguel. One of my best friends boyfriend was on the flight as well, he was a great guy!
I think your right, unfortunately I don't think we will never know what really happened.

miguel said:
There are many, many versions of what happened to that plane but so far NOONE has come up with a specific idea of what happened.

I have been following that incident since the day that it happened because my aunt was one of the passanger that was aboard that plane. Also, the mother and brother of a friend of mine here in Reading, Pa, were aboard that plane too.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:

I'm sorry for your loss and pardon me if it stirred up any emotions.

That was a sad episode in the lives of all Dominicans, not just those directly affected by that tragedy.

Also, I agree with you on the fact that there are many versions, but I had received this one and I wanted to see what the average DR1er thought about it.

Obviously, this topic is either too sensitive still or people are just not interested because I posted this quite a while ago.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Nal0whs said:
I'm sorry for your loss and pardon me if it stirred up any emotions.

That was a sad episode in the lives of all Dominicans, not just those directly affected by that tragedy.

Also, I agree with you on the fact that there are many versions, but I had received this one and I wanted to see what the average DR1er thought about it.

Obviously, this topic is either too sensitive still or people are just not interested because I posted this quite a while ago.
Some people ARE responding Nal0whs, it is just that they are putting them in the other thread running concurrently with this. As the other thread has the newspaper report URL in it, they are probably more comfortable posting there & decided not to repeat their comments here!! ~ Grahame.