Phone Etiquette

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I?ve been living here for over 2 years and have had to adjust to many differences between life in the DR vs Canada and I accept these happily but one thing I just can?t understand is people?s bad phone etiquette.

In Canada when someone calls you they would normally say:

?hello it?s (their name), how are you?

The conversation progresses from there but this morning my phone rang so I picked it up and said. (in Spanish)

Me ?hello?

Caller ?Yeah, where are you??

Me ?what??

Caller ?Where are you??

Me ?Where the hell are you!?!?

Caller ?OK, let me explain, I?m calling from??

Then I found out who was calling and why. Why didn?t the conversation start that way?

It?s not just this one time. Almost every time the phone rings it?s the same thing you answer and the first thing you hear is something like ?Yeah, so?? or ?Tell me?. Tell you what a-hole? Is it so hard to say hello it?s Pedro, how are you????

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Bueno!? Si!?

Another great one is when you call a big company or institute and the answer is Bueno or Si ?!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree

The definately do not understand phone manners here!!! I agree with you 100% It can be so frustrating.

My big thing: they just hang up. I didn't even realize the conversation was over!!!! I"m not done and they have already hung up, no good bye, no have a nice day, nada.....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree mostly, but there are different conventions that you have to get used to.

e.g. I use 'OK' in the English-speaking sense, to express agreement, whereas for Dominicans it means 'conversation over' when speaking on the phone. That's when they hang up and I get left hanging.

I hate it when someone phones me and asks '?quien me habla?'

No, mate: you tell me quien me habla!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You are right

Yes, OK seems to be bye bye....... LOL

Many times though you don't even get that. There definately needs to be a course here in phone etiquette especially at the tourist related businesses.

NubeLuz

Jul 23, 2004
You guys are so right,
It took me a couple of phone calls to understand the "dominican" way to say goodbye. "OK". At first I thought they were hanging up the phone on me.... ;)

NubeLuz

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Tu sabes

I find it funny when I hear my friend talk and several times in the conversation he says "tu sabes" (you know???) The last time he says it he hangs up the phone. I guess it is like "good bye". He said it is only used with friends.....Tu sabes!

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
crank callers...

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
I find it funny when I hear my friend talk and several times in the conversation he says "tu sabes" (you know???) The last time he says it he hangs up the phone. I guess it is like "good bye". He said it is only used with friends.....Tu sabes!

(phone rings twice)... (ring....! ring...!)

house wife: "Hola, buenos dias", "con quien desea hablar?"

cranker: "buenos dias se?ora, le llamamos de la compa?ia blah...blah c x a. Usted acaba de ganar un premio por contestar el telefono.

HW:(ecstatic) "oh wow...! que bien hay, gracias...! y cual es mi premio?"

cranker:"se?ora usted acaba de ganarse dos (2) pelucas!"

HW: "dos pelucas?"

cranker: "si se?ora", "dos pelucas". Una para la cabeza, y otra para la cuca...!"

(click) phone goes dead.