Say goodbye to tinted windows in DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I just saw AMET traffic police stopping cars with dark tinted windows and taking off the tint. Yes, you heard it correctly, I saw traffic police stop a car on 27 de febraro (santiago) and actually witnessed police distroying the tint with a sharp razor blade. The driver was (of course) shocked at the police activity but he couldn't do a thing. I am sure he got a ticket and also got his window tints distroyed. The police was actually peeling off the tint film off the windows. This particular car also had the rear window tinted.
AMET is also giving out tickets for talking on cell phones and not using the seat belt. So if you have really dark tinted windows, make sure you drive your car with windows down.
Have a nice day.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB said:
I just saw AMET traffic police stopping cars with dark tinted windows and taking off the tint. Yes, you heard it correctly, I saw traffic police stop a car on 27 de febraro (santiago) and actually witnessed police distroying the tint with a sharp razor blade. The driver was (of course) shocked at the police activity but he couldn't do a thing. I am sure he got a ticket and also got his window tints distroyed. The police was actually peeling off the tint film off the windows. This particular car also had the rear window tinted.
AMET is also giving out tickets for talking on cell phones and not using the seat belt. So if you have really dark tinted windows, make sure you drive your car with windows down.
Have a nice day.
AZB

This only applies to front wind shields.

See todays news:

Make up your minds
True to its word, the Metropolitan Transport Authority (AMET) began cracking down on vehicles with tinted front windows last weekend. On 8 October, the traffic police had given all drivers 15 days to have these features removed. While AMET has started taking these shady drivers to task, as pointed out in El Caribe today, the National District's Traffic Court is dismissing the cases on grounds that they have not violated traffic legislation (Law 241). The law does indicate that no vehicle should use any material that obscures any of its windows and establishes fines of no less than RD$5, but no more than RD$50 for the infringement.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert said:
This only applies to front wind shields..
I just saw another woman crying in her car while AMET removed her tint from the windows. she also had her rear window tinted as well as all the 4 door windows. It seems if you have real dark windows and also have the rear window tinted then you are a fair target (mostly chopo cars).
I drive my car with both windows down.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I guess the headline for our news story sums it up, "Make up your minds".

I'll keep my eyes open today and see if they are doing the same here in Santo Domingo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"C'mon" you two have been here long enough to know how this works!!!!

Let's see now,we have had the "Seat Belt" law,the "Driver's license" law,the "Helmet" Law,the Cell Phone"law,and now the "Tinted Windows" law!!!!!
You both know that this "LAW" too will soon "fade" away!
What next, "The No Drinking and Driving" Law??? Not Here!!!!!!!!! ;) CC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would support them wholeheartedly if so many people didn't qualify for exemptions. Like AZB says if they catch you, all you have to do is phone an influential person and you're free to go. So many arrogant bigshots in huge SUVs and luxury cars will go on driving without seatbelts, yabbering away on their cellphones, undetected through tinted windows.

Unlike little old me, who observes all these laws, and gets done for an innocent mistake. :mad:

Free the Arroyo Hondo one! :bandit:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Chirimoya said:
I would support them wholeheartedly if so many people didn't qualify for exemptions. Like AZB says if they catch you, all you have to do is phone an influential person and you're free to go. So many arrogant bigshots in huge SUVs and luxury cars will go on driving without seatbelts, yabbering away on their cellphones, undetected through tinted windows.

Unlike little old me, who observes all these laws, and gets done for an innocent mistake. :mad:

Free the Arroyo Hondo one! :bandit:

I agree Chiri. All laws with perfectly valid justifications in safety. The problem as always, is in the enforcement being not only inconsistent, but entirely based on $$$ rather than safety. They have these "crack-downs" when they need to increase collections.

Of course, it doesn't help when respected professionals in "family-oriented" communities feel that the way to deal with the law is to roll the windows down rather than remove the tint! Mostly what kind of car was it that you said has those windows AZB? ;)

debajoelsol

Jan 23, 2003
I have driven, ridden and seen many vehicles that have a very dark tint on the upper and lower 1/3 of the front windshield. Is up do the highly trained Amet officers to determine if you are in violation? Are you allowed any % tinted?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
debajoelsol said:
I have driven, ridden and seen many vehicles that have a very dark tint on the upper and lower 1/3 of the front windshield. Is up do the highly trained Amet officers to determine if you are in violation? Are you allowed any % tinted?
I'm not a big fan of new laws.
I like my freedom here, but these brainless wonders who tint their front windshields should be stopped.
They are menaces on the road.
Ever try to drive on of those vehicles at night time?
You can't see a blasted thing.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
The exception is always the exception

Amet will only allow front window tint, to pimp standards, on rap star rides, all others must conform. But no breaks for seatbelt violators.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Rocky said:
I'm not a big fan of new laws.
I like my freedom here, but these brainless wonders who tint their front windshields should be stopped.
They are menaces on the road.
Ever try to drive on of those vehicles at night time?
You can't see a blasted thing.

Rocky,

I know exactly what you mean. I got a rental car once which was tinted all around. Not as dark as some I've seen but when the sun went down it was downright scary driving, especially backing up or using mirrors. I turned it in the next day!

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I'm f#%^%ing glad they are doing this at last. No more mobile hidden criminals and runaway delinquents driving around the streets. If you look suspicious you'll get your a$$ caught or pulled over sooner or later by the police.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Just like any law here, 50 pesos and you are back on your way. Most of the time when they wave me over I just stretch out my right leg. If they step out in front of me, I have to call their boss. Most of them know not to bother by now.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Both ways

sweetdbt said:
I agree Chiri. All laws with perfectly valid justifications in safety. The problem as always, is in the enforcement being not only inconsistent, but entirely based on $$$ rather than safety. They have these "crack-downs" when they need to increase collections.

Of course, it doesn't help when respected professionals in "family-oriented" communities feel that the way to deal with the law is to roll the windows down rather than remove the tint! Mostly what kind of car was it that you said has those windows AZB? ;)

In a civilized socety, you obey the laws, not try to find ways to avoid them or have big shot friends get you off

If you don't agree with the laws, exercise your right to vote and change the laws

I have noticed many times on this board that those who criticise the laws the most frequently also brag about how they are "untouchable" Why have laws if they are not enforced for all?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
our favorite scofflaw

This was AZB's response when confronted with his attitude toward the new laws against tinted windows on another thread:

"My tints will stay and I will continue to drive around with windows down until the law will relax like other laws. If I get caught in santiago, I know how to get out of it."

Dream scenario: AZB is in PP (for some unknown reason) and forgets to roll his windows down. He is pulled over by AMET, and tries to name-drop with the wrong cop. Turns out AZB's AMET "connection" had been messing around with this guy's wife. Because there is no room in the men's jail he is taken to San Marco to spend a few hours with the UBHs. :bunny:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Argo said:
In a civilized socety, you obey the laws, not try to find ways to avoid them or have big shot friends get you off

If you don't agree with the laws, exercise your right to vote and change the laws

I have noticed many times on this board that those who criticise the laws the most frequently also brag about how they are "untouchable" Why have laws if they are not enforced for all?

You said it, in a civilized society. In a civilized society the government would pay its electric bill. In a civilized society the government would pay its phone bill. In a civilized society the public hospitals would have electricity, they would have diesel fuel for the generators, they would have blood, they would have O2, patients wouldn't die on the operating table because the light company turned the lights off again, surgens wouldn't have to operate from the light of their cell phones.

When in rome......

By the way, ex pats can't vote.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Argo said:

I guess you have no experience of "really" living in the DR? Many would love the DR to have so called "first world" morals and values, but that's not the reality. Trying doing "real" business here and see how long they last.

Nothing worse that someone trying to inflict their own moral values on a country that they are a guest in.

I'm all for, when in Rome, blah, blah, blah.....

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Robert said:
I guess you have no experience of "really" living in the DR? Many would love the DR to have so called "first world" morals and values, but that's not the reality. Trying doing "real" business here and see how long they last.

Nothing worse that someone trying to inflict their own moral values on a country that they are a guest in.

Do you expect civilized progress to ever be made when you so called "elite: citizens flaunt the law? One step at a time, suck it up and try changing one thing at atime, respect what laws you have, change the ones that are bad

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Robert said:

Robert,

I don't live in the DR yet, and when I do make the move I will be retired, so I won't pretend to know about the realities of doing business there. What I do know is that they have passed a law restricting tinted windows. There are legitimate safety and law enforcement reasons to justify the law. I believe in most cases it is a fairly simple matter for those who have the now-illegal tints to take a razor scraper and remove them. Why not just do it?