mail to Rio San Juan

Chiquita

Oct 3, 2004
I was just wondering if anyone has sent anything through mail to Rio San Juan. I sent a package from Canada almost a month ago and they still haven't received it. Does anyone know if there have been problems with the mail. The package was sent just after Hurricane Ivan past through the Dominican Republic. If anyone has any information it would be grealty appreiciated.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rio San Juan

Chiquita said:
I was just wondering if anyone has sent anything through mail to Rio San Juan. I sent a package from Canada almost a month ago and they still haven't received it. Does anyone know if there have been problems with the mail. The package was sent just after Hurricane Ivan past through the Dominican Republic. If anyone has any information it would be grealty appreiciated.

My girlfriend who is now my wife told me the last package I sent to her took 6 months, I hope you have better luck....

Gringo

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Yes

Chiquita said:
Does anyone know if there have been problems with the mail.

There has been trouble since at least 1998 when I started going - the kind of trouble that means mail isn't delivered or is stolen ( and of course isn't delivered). I think a note in a bottle thrown into the sea has as good a chance as the Domincian Post Office. Use DHL, or FedEx next tie though it costs a bundle.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Lol

chuckuindy said:
Do not worry the Domanican postman always rings twice.

Charlie

That's funny!

BTW I have also mailed things to the Dominican Republic thru regular mail. Not a single one of them has ever arrived.

JD

PS: My uncle worked for the United States Postal Service (US Post Office) as a carrier before he died. He said "I read that book and not once does the postman ring".

PSS: Here is a link to some info about the author of TPART:

http://www.eskimo.com/~noir/btitles/cain/index.shtml

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I have sent numerous packages (letters,pictures and other small items) to RSJ with Canada Post Registered mail and each one arrived within 3 - 4 weeks with no problems.

That being said, friends of mine have sent large packages to me not using Canada Post Registered mail when I have been in RSJ and they never arrived.

If you are sending something important or valuable better to use a courier like DHL - I have done that too with important documents I needed to sent to RSJ and then the person just has to go to POP to the DHL office to pick it up. Usually takes about 3-4 days.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Really!

How much did that run you. I spoke with a Purolator guy who said they use DHL once the package crosses the border and the guy on the phone was a total A$$. Needless to say I did not go with that option. I called Fedex and they wanted $163 for a package that's value is not even $20 CAD. What a RIP! Maybe I will give DHL another shot. ;)

Rosanie said:
I have sent numerous packages (letters,pictures and other small items) to RSJ with Canada Post Registered mail and each one arrived within 3 - 4 weeks with no problems.

That being said, friends of mine have sent large packages to me not using Canada Post Registered mail when I have been in RSJ and they never arrived.

If you are sending something important or valuable better to use a courier like DHL - I have done that too with important documents I needed to sent to RSJ and then the person just has to go to POP to the DHL office to pick it up. Usually takes about 3-4 days.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
DHL is not cheap but seems a little cheaper than Fedex. DHL charges by the size and weight of the package. The documents I sent cost about $80.00 CDN.

To send something from DR with DHL to Canada is about $1,300 RD

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
chiquita,
wait another month or two, then get the recipient to start investigating at local post office. Mail from uk to Puerto Plata has been somewhat precarious in last few months........bank statements which I know were sent August 22nd & Sept. 21st respectively have not yet arrived. But it is hit & miss since mail from the Isle of Man has been arriving inside 2 weeks. This is mail, however, I do not have packages sent through normal mail.

Chiquita

Oct 3, 2004
Well I guess I used the wrong word, it wasn't exactly a package. It was a letter with some pictures in it. I sent it through regular mail because the lady at the post office said that it would be okay for it sent that way. Now I know for next time that I should sent it by courier rather than mail. The post office also said that it would only take two weeks, but I've heard from others that it could take upto 2 or 3 months, since Rio San Juan is further than main city of Puerto Plata. Thanks for all of you replies.
Lambada said:
chiquita,
wait another month or two, then get the recipient to start investigating at local post office. Mail from uk to Puerto Plata has been somewhat precarious in last few months........bank statements which I know were sent August 22nd & Sept. 21st respectively have not yet arrived. But it is hit & miss since mail from the Isle of Man has been arriving inside 2 weeks. This is mail, however, I do not have packages sent through normal mail.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dominican Mail System

Chiquita said:
Well I guess I used the wrong word, it wasn't exactly a package. It was a letter with some pictures in it. I sent it through regular mail because the lady at the post office said that it would be okay for it sent that way. Now I know for next time that I should sent it by courier rather than mail. The post office also said that it would only take two weeks, but I've heard from others that it could take upto 2 or 3 months, since Rio San Juan is further than main city of Puerto Plata. Thanks for all of you replies.

There is a reason that Verizon, Telecable, and everyone else delivers their own bills I'm still waiting for some pictures that were mail from the US in May.

Chiquita

Oct 3, 2004
WOW! When the post office told me it could about 2 weeks for mail to arrive in the Republica Dominicana, I thought that was long. But you've been waiting since May, don't give up hope maybe they will arrive soon!But it sounds like I will have better luck bringing them in person. Thanks for the tip!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chiquita said:
WOW! When the post office told me it could about 2 weeks for mail to arrive in the Republica Dominicana, I thought that was long.

What the post office told you might be correct. Two weeks to reach the DR but then they forgot to tell you how long it takes to deliver it to the addressee. :laugh:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chiquita said:

If it was a letter with photos there is every chance it will still arrive. It will have been opened, of course, then resealed & stamped with the legend "Received in this condition". Happens all the time. My friends now sign their names on the join when sending a letter. Gives the Post Office all manner of problems with re-alignment when they reseal! Sometimes it stops them opening the envelope altogether.

Chiquita

Oct 3, 2004
Lambada said:
If it was a letter with photos there is every chance it will still arrive. It will have been opened, of course, then resealed & stamped with the legend "Received in this condition". Happens all the time. My friends now sign their names on the join when sending a letter. Gives the Post Office all manner of problems with re-alignment when they reseal! Sometimes it stops them opening the envelope altogether.

Thanks for the advice the next time I send something, I will sign on the join to keep them from snooping through the mail. HOpefully it arrives their soon!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This happened a few months ago with a client we have in the USA.

They sent us a check via regular mail (after telling them not to do it).
It took 3 days to get from the USA to the DR according to the stamp and 3 months to get from the post office in Santo Domingo to our office :)

Bottom line, if it has any value, send it via DHL, FedX etc.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Chiquita said:
Thanks for the advice the next time I send something, I will sign on the join to keep them from snooping through the mail. HOpefully it arrives their soon!
Forgot to add, after you sign on join, then selotape over signature! So they have both the problem of trying to re-align signature AND not to lift it off in the first place when they remove selotape! Too much trouble for them to bother with! Plus they don't steam off selotape because no electric kettle & even if they had one..........no power for it to produce steam! ;)

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Lambada said:
Forgot to add, after you sign on join, then selotape over signature! So they have both the problem of trying to re-align signature AND not to lift it off in the first place when they remove selotape! Too much trouble for them to bother with! Plus they don't steam off selotape because no electric kettle & even if they had one..........no power for it to produce steam! ;)

Just don't send anything in the mail to the DR, they don't really have a postal service like we think of in the US and Canada. I have a DHL account, they are a great company and have been doing international shipping for a ling time. I can ship documunts and pictures to Nagua for about $23 US. They always arrive there. Packages are expensive any way you send them, but DHL will give you the best price and service. FedEx doesn't even deliver to Nagua. The last package I sent to Naeroby was $100. Not much you can do about it really. When I fly down to see her in January, I'll take all your packages for half price and deliver them right to the recipients door, hehe

-Tim ;)

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Why Western Union?

I believe in the future I will send all support payments to my novia by mail rather than use Western Union. Let me see, I would still have about $5,000 extra dollars in my checking account.

Charlie

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
"When I fly down to see her in January, I'll take all your packages for half price and deliver them right to the recipients door, hehe"

Twincactus,

Actually, that's not so funny, and for those who you know and live close bye, it is cheap and effecient to use friends a curriers for mail or small items. I've done this with the cellphone I use in the DR. A friend (fellow American) who was in PP the week before me picked it up from the guy who keeps it for me and brought it home with him; then sent it to me priority mail for a couple of bucks. That way I had the phone when I arrived in SDQ and was able to stay in touch and make plans with friends on the North coast while I did some exploring in the south. I'm hoping to find a similar situation to send a dress down for my novia to wear to her sister's wedding.