Meet the People Program

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
An article in the latest CAA member magazine, Journey, mentioned the Meet the People Program offered through the Jamaica Tourist Board. It's a free service that connects visitors with hosts of similar professions or interests to meet while on holidays to get out of the hotels and experience local life. Here is the official website: http://meetthepeople.visitjamaica.com/home/default.aspx

It made me think this would be wonderful if something like this was offered in the Dominican Republic. I know, I know, it's wishful thinking and quite the endeavour to materialize, but I've noticed in DR message boards travelers trying to meet with others while on vacation and thought this type of program is one way of organizing such get-togethers. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

~ The first gift of wishful thinking is to wish that the wish isn't wishful thinking :) [author unknown]

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Similar

There is a meet, even though you don't want to, hookers, shoeshine kids, cholos, tigres, sankies, vendaderos and crooked customs and immigration officials program. Starts at the airport and ends there too, door to door service.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
ricktoronto said:
There is a meet, even though you don't want to, hookers, shoeshine kids, cholos, tigres, sankies, vendaderos and crooked customs and immigration officials program. Starts at the airport and ends there too, door to door service.

Good one Rick - ROTFLMAO.

When you're good you're great.

Gregg

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Actually, Curiouscat, I think that idea has some pretty good potential. What particularly caught my eye was to idea of bring people together who are in similar professions. My husband teaches at university and would be very interested in learning more about higher education in the DR. I might even be able to talk him into a trip to Santo Domingo (we've been before, but he did not like it. I KNOW we did not get to see the best that SD has to offer) or Santiago if he could learn more about this. He is also an accomplished singer and would be interested to learn more about the classical music/choir scene in the DR (again, most likely SD or Santiago).

I think it is an interesting idea..........

Rose

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Thanks, Rose :)

After doing a little more online research I found out that Hong Kong also has a Meet the People Program, and Australia and the Scandinavian countries have a similar program called Friends Overseas. A more general term for this is a "hospitality exchange". There are quite a few websites offering people the chance to visit/host internationally. I noticed one specifically for educators, but there's a fee and the Dominican Republic is not listed in its countries covered. Even if there's not a DR program, a person could possibly meet someone on a forum like this.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I applaud this idea

I think that you should get this to Hans Dannenberg, the vice-minister of Toruism, a real go getter and good guy who thinks of tourism first and then his own interests.

I think that dolores@dr1,com can communicate this to him or she can give you his addie.

As far as Rose is concerned: Just let me know and we'll play show and tell with your hubby. We have choral and classical groups here in Santiago. In fact, one of my more "weird" looking students is , in reality, a talented violinist who plays with the local and National orchestras.

And, if you were in SD, I know you didn't see the best this place has to offer.

HB :D:D

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
ricktoronto said:

Jamaica has as many of all-of-the-above as the DR (or maybe more!); so if it works there, why wouldn't it work here?

I think it's and excellent idea!... If Hans can't do anything about it, maybe Robert can (???)... ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I think it is actually pretty easy to meet none of the above types without someone holding your hand to do it.

curiouscat

Oct 18, 2004
Dominican Republic is such a great holiday value compared to the other Caribbean countries, many people are drawn there for vacation, but then end up staying in their resorts without truly getting to know the country they are in. It's more than just beaches, and all-you-can eat food and drink. There's wonderful people who live in a country with a wealth of beautiful nature and culture to discover.

On a personal note, my family used to vacation in Freeport, Bahamas for years because relatives moved there to work for some years in the '60s. They had a solid familiarity there with friendships, activities and attractions. Two years ago they decided to go to the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) for the first time and this year, Puerto Plata. I know they felt a little apprehensive about venturing off the resort because, unlike the Bahamas, the language is Spanish. Meeting someone from DR to spend time with opens the door, so-to-speak. The "hospitality exchange" can go both ways too, where native-born or expats can make friendships and visit those people in their countries. It can be a way of keeping in touch with countrymen if they are expats, or may be an opportunity for native-borns to see another country for the first time. Even those who want to move to the DR to live will find this type of program invaluable. A favourite childhood memory of mine is when a Bahamian family friend visited Canada for Christmas. It was his first time seeing snow (and experiencing cold weather :) ) and experiencing our yuletide traditions.

I see such potential and positive outcomes. Breaking the invisible "All Inclusive" tourism barrier is a big step in transforming the Dominican Republic into not just a beach vacation destination, but a true second home for life. I see Jamaica tv commercials all the time and their main message is Jamaicans are welcoming you to their country ... the smiling children, the women in the market and the men in their hometown street. It is breaking the image of it being unsafe to venture out of the resort area because "someone is going to rip you off", and showing the everyday life of its people.

~ Ooopps! Sorry for being so long-winded :D