American formatted radio station

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
If you're on the north coast and haven't been spinning your radio dial lately, you're in for a surprise. Rubi 92.5 is now on playing English rock and roll with English speaking jocks and commercials. The station studios are located in the little shopping area behind LaRoca in Sosua. It's still a work in progress but a change of pace from the non stop bachata. They even have a jock who calls himself "Mad Max".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Robert said:
I don't think under the law (Indotel) they are allowed to commentate in English on the local radio.

I remember a story about a Haitian radio station DJ here that used to sing the news as he was not allowed to speak in French or Creole.

Old thread on this subject: http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27777

I'll try and find out about that law. La 91 does (or used to) relay some US late night music programmes in English.

Robert, the station in question was Radio Enriquillo, a Dominican community radio station in the south west, whose audience includes many Haitians. Their main studio is in Tamayo. The news in Creole was 'sung' (I understand the term should be used loosely) by a Belgian Jesuit, Padre Pedro Ruquoy(?).

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Spanish programming

Indotel specifies one hour of Spanish during the 24 hour broadcast day.
This station is licensed to Puerto Plata and the tower remains up on Isabel de Torres. Led Zepplin sounds good filtering thru the coconut palms.
Signal reaches Monte Cristi to Rio San Juan.

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Hey Marco!

In the measly hour I got to spend at Rocky's last February, I never noticed what you play there. I hope to find out this February. ;)

Maybe you can just leave the new station on...

Tom

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Jerry K said:
If you're on the north coast and haven't been spinning your radio dial lately, you're in for a surprise. Rubi 92.5 is now on playing English rock and roll with English speaking jocks and commercials. The station studios are located in the little shopping area behind LaRoca in Sosua. It's still a work in progress but a change of pace from the non stop bachata. They even have a jock who calls himself "Mad Max".

Well, this is great. Do they have more than just music? Do they also provide some local news? My Spanish is limited and I am still learning. Going back to Cabarete in November to the end of April. I think my husband would enjoy a station like this. By the way, what's wrong with non stop Bachata? You know...... when in Rome....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Daytime music.

OttawaTom said:
Hey Marco!

In the measly hour I got to spend at Rocky's last February, I never noticed what you play there. I hope to find out this February. ;)

Maybe you can just leave the new station on...

Tom
We do play music during the daytime, most days, but as soon as the whorehouse next door starts blasting us with their Plinky Plinky stuff, we just turn ours off, so as to not start a music war.
As much as I dislike the the 21 CD's they own, it's better to listen to them than to blast ourselves out of here competing with them.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
snowbird44 said:
Well, this is great. Do they have more than just music? Do they also provide some local news? My Spanish is limited and I am still learning. Going back to Cabarete in November to the end of April. I think my husband would enjoy a station like this. By the way, what's wrong with non stop Bachata? You know...... when in Rome....
I've only heard them play music so far, but I think they are still getting the program together, as they just started out very recently.
As for non stop Bachata, well, how could I put this?
Chinese torture water drops on the forehead?
Bamboo shutes under your fingernails?
Sliding down a 50 foot razor blade into a bowl of Iodine?
A customs officer snapping on a latex glove?
A pimple on the tip of your nose?
A bad case of Turista when on a date with your future spouse?
A coackroach doing the back stroke in your soup?
Catching your thingy in your zipper?
Shall I go on?

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Rocky said:
We do play music during the daytime, most days, but as soon as the whorehouse next door starts blasting us with their Plinky Plinky stuff, we just turn ours off, so as to not start a music war.
As much as I dislike the the 21 CD's they own, it's better to listen to them than to blast ourselves out of here competing with them.

Have you tried reasoning with them? ;)

Tom

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Stomach cramps...

OttawaTom said:
Have you tried reasoning with them? ;)

Tom
You made me laugh so hard, I got cramps.
As we don't need any lawsuits here, let me put it this way.
It's like saying to the President of the United States, while talking about Bin Laden, "Have you tried reasoning with him???".

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
online radio stations?

Rocky said:
You made me laugh so hard, I got cramps.
As we don't need any lawsuits here, let me put it this way.
It's like saying to the President of the United States, while talking about Bin Laden, "Have you tried reasoning with him???".

hi Rocky,

ever considered just using an online rock classics stations?
i listen to the Hawk 103,9 here and it is online at:

www.thehawk.ca

not bad but pretty "top ten" for classic rock. love the double shots of Zeppelin every afternoon. also, they play "classic sides", the original vinyl recording one side at at time. pyschedelic Sundays are great too.

only problem is, almost everyday they play "Signs" by the Five Man Electrical Band". good tune but a little tiresome.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Favorite song...

CyaBye3015 said:
Please do, I'm laughing so hard tears are running down my face.

Joe
And my favorite song is by an artist by the name Bruce Cockburn, and it's called, "If I had a rocket launcher".

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Song

Rocky said:
And my favorite song is by an artist by the name Bruce Cockburn, and it's called, "If I had a rocket launcher".

".....some Son of a B**ch would die"

Great song,

JD

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I see you're a music lover.

Jersey Devil said:
".....some Son of a B**ch would die"

Great song,

JD
That tune is one of my all time favorites. Not only is it very musical, but it exemplifies the dilemna in life, with regards to wanting to be pacifistic, yet, if push comes shove, we often have little choice but to use violence to combat violence.
Bruce Cockburn is nothing less than a musical genious and a spokesman for our times.