Young budget travelers need help!

SarahJ

Oct 28, 2004
Hi!
My partner and I are college students, thus seriously budget travelers. We want to visit DR this January and are interested in less tourist-y, natural sites (i.e. waterfalls, caves, beaches) and local culture (markets, fishing, etc. He speaks pretty good Spanish). We're thinking about staying somewhere in the Samana area, probably near Las Terrenas. Is this a good idea for us? About how much can we expect to pay for horse/donkey tours or 4X4 tours? Is the public transportation sufficient, or do we need to rent a car? What are the things we should absolutely not miss?
Sorry for all the questions! Thank you so much for any advice!
--Sarah

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As college students then you know how to do research

Go to the Search function at the top of this page and type in Samana, then do waterfalls, then caves.

There are huge strings on all of these.

This is a fairly large island with good public transportation, so you don't need to rent a car. You can stay a few days at different places to get the biggest bang for our buck-small as they may be.
HB

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
I paid 25 USD for a day long jeep/waterfall/countryside tour, but this was out of sosua, which is very touristy. I don't know how much I am able to help you. I can tell you that if you end up at an AI, don't buy tours from the tour companies - they charge more than twice as much as the private tour operators. If your partner speaks Spanish, you could probably hire your own personal guide if you make some friends. Good luck! It's a great place for budget travellers. And beautiful. Enjoy your trip! :)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Paradox

SarahJ said:
Hi!
... are interested in less tourist-y, natural sites (i.e. waterfalls, caves, beaches) and local culture

About how much can we expect to pay for horse/donkey tours or 4X4 tours?
--Sarah

If you want non touristy things or culture as it is meant to be defined, this is a bad start. Hire a car and driver and just go and see things, vs. driving around getting drunk in a 4X4 truck.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
If you want non touristy things or culture as it is meant to be defined, this is a bad start. Hire a car and driver and just go and see things, vs. driving around getting drunk in a 4X4 truck.

I gotta agree with rick. The AI group tours hold no appeal to me....and you secificaly said that you do not want to do overly touristy things.

You might want to check out the book "rough guide" for the D.R. I got that before my last visit and i was able to put together some good day trips without being trapped with a bunch of other tourists.

I agree with rick...hire someone that you feel you can trust to show you around. Buy him lunch/dinner and regard him as a friend and you will most likely have a great experience. You have a good start as your friend speaks decent spanish (i DO reccomend learning some yourself...i brought a friend with NO language skills last year and it was sorta a pain in the butt) My spanish is pretty bad...but i get by.

oh..one last thing...do NOT rent a car....guaguas (bus) is fine...and you DONT want to drive there!!!

GOOD LUCK!!! Do your research and have a bast!!!!

jj

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jrzyguy said:
I gotta agree with rick.

You might want to check out the book "rough guide" for the D.R. I got that before my last visit and i was able to put together some good day trips without being trapped with a bunch of other tourists.

I agree with rick...hire someone that you feel you can trust to show you around. Buy him lunch/dinner and regard him as a friend and you will most likely have a great experience.

I had to leave in the agreeing with me parts. Notwithstanding Jerry's advice DO NOT befriend nor get befreinded by a guy on the street speaking English who will offer to help move you around etc. These people will soak you for every last dime if not rob you.

Hire a taxi from the taxi stand, negotiate HARD for a day price and ask for someone who speaks a little English but you said your friend has OK Spanish so get a proper, licensed tourist taxi van with A/C - if you haggle a whole day without unreasonable distances for $75 or so is easy to arrange.