North Coast Medical Experience

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One of the worries often expressed posters contemplating moving to the DR is what do you do when you have a medical emergency. It is something to think about, since we don't have the same sort of service that is seen each week on Third Watch.

A medical emergency in which a few minutes delay in getting to a hospital is a justified concern that you live with on the north coast. But other than that, most medical situations can be dealt with. We just experienced one in our house, and I thought our experience might be of interest to recent arrivals who are still getting oriented to the area. (We live in Sosua)

Friday morning, Barbara tripped over a pile of ceramic tile left in a very unexpected location by the workmen replacing the bathroom tile and landed hard on her hip. She was in a lot of pain and thought she had broken something. We called Servi-Med in Cabarete and they said a doctor would be at our apartment in 15 minutes. He arrived in about 15 minutes (though it seemed longer at the time), checked her over and said she should go to Puerto Plata for xrays and evaluation. From our apartment he called an ambulance and an orthpedic doctor at Centro Medico Bournigal and explained the situation. He also gave Barbara an injection for the pain. His charge was RD$1500

The ambulance crew carried her on a stretcher down the two flights to the street and took her to Bournigal. The ambulance charge was RD$1000

At Bournigal, she was e xamined, xrayed and evaluated by the orthopedic doctor. He said the hip was broken and that an operation was required. Because most of our doctors are in Santo Domingo, we decided to go there to Clinica Abreu. The doctor at Bournigal prescribed something for the pain, some other meds, and an IV was started. I called the office of our primary doctor in Santo Domingo and they assured us they would have everything lined up and waiting for Barbara when we arrived. Bournigal charged us RD$2,300

Because we anticipated going to SD if the hip was broken, we had asked the ambulance to wait. The wait charge was RD$500.

Barbara was put back on the ambulance and taken to Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo. The ambulance charge was RD$7000 for the trip from POP to SD, about 4 hours, since we arrived in SD at the 5pm traffic rush hour on a Friday afternoon.

When we got to SD, they were expecting us and the surgeon came as soon as he called. Our primary doctor assured me we were in good hands with him since he had been the one the primary doctor asked to operate on his mother.

Barbara was put in a semi-private room, which is really like two private rooms in a big room. The bathroom separates the two alcoves, so one patient doesn't see another. The charge for a semi-private room at this time is RD$1,250 a night. Private rooms are available for RD$2,300. In the semi-private room, each patient has his own cable tv and AC unit with individual controls.

The doctor is operating tomorrow and replacing her hip. I'll report that cost when I know it.

Hope this info is helpful.

beachlv

Sep 28, 2004
Our prayers are with Barbara

Our prayers are for Barbara's speedy recovery.

And, thank you, thank you, thank you, for taking the time to share such valuable information.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Ken said:
One of the worries often expressed posters contemplating moving to the DR is what do you do when you have a medical emergency. It is something to think about, since we don't have the same sort of service that is seen each week on Third Watch.

A medical emergency in which a few minutes delay in getting to a hospital is a justified concern that you live with on the north coast. But other than that, most medical situations can be dealt with. We just experienced one in our house, and I thought our experience might be of interest to recent arrivals who are still getting oriented to the area. (We live in Sosua)

Friday morning, Barbara tripped over a pile of ceramic tile left in a very unexpected location by the workmen replacing the bathroom tile and landed hard on her hip. She was in a lot of pain and thought she had broken something. We called Servi-Med in Cabarete and they said a doctor would be at our apartment in 15 minutes. He arrived in about 15 minutes (though it seemed longer at the time), checked her over and said she should go to Puerto Plata for xrays and evaluation. From our apartment he called an ambulance and an orthpedic doctor at Centro Medico Bournigal and explained the situation. He also gave Barbara an injection for the pain. His charge was RD$1500

The ambulance crew carried her on a stretcher down the two flights to the street and took her to Bournigal. The ambulance charge was RD$1000

At Bournigal, she was e xamined, xrayed and evaluated by the orthopedic doctor. He said the hip was broken and that an operation was required. Because most of our doctors are in Santo Domingo, we decided to go there to Clinica Abreu. The doctor at Bournigal prescribed something for the pain, some other meds, and an IV was started. I called the office of our primary doctor in Santo Domingo and they assured us they would have everything lined up and waiting for Barbara when we arrived. Bournigal charged us RD$2,300

Because we anticipated going to SD if the hip was broken, we had asked the ambulance to wait. The wait charge was RD$500.

Barbara was put back on the ambulance and taken to Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo. The ambulance charge was RD$7000 for the trip from POP to SD, about 4 hours, since we arrived in SD at the 5pm traffic rush hour on a Friday afternoon.

When we got to SD, they were expecting us and the surgeon came as soon as he called. Our primary doctor assured me we were in good hands with him since he had been the one the primary doctor asked to operate on his mother.

Barbara was put in a semi-private room, which is really like two private rooms in a big room. The bathroom separates the two alcoves, so one patient doesn't see another. The charge for a semi-private room at this time is RD$1,250 a night. Private rooms are available for RD$2,300. In the semi-private room, each patient has his own cable tv and AC unit with individual controls.

The doctor is operating tomorrow and replacing her hip. I'll report that cost when I know it.

Ken

Do the medical providers expect cash at time of service, or does an insurance program cover you?

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
SORRY...but very thankful for the info.

Ken said:

I hope all goes well for Barbare.

I'm going to find out on Monday just what work my hip needs doing. I plan to come to the DR to have the work done.

So I do look forrward to all the help you can pass on about the next few days and wonder why you diden't have then do it in POP.

Thanks Judy

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sorry to hear that Ken :(

If you need anything while you're in Santo Domingo, call me or PM me.
I sent you my contact details.

Rob.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I think...

She'll be up and jitterbugging in no time.

You obviously feel comfortable with the level of care in the DR or else you would move. Your observations are very helpful.

I wish B. a speedy recovery!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ken, thank you for the very clear post that should be archived as i

important medical information for those residents on the North coast.

? do hope Barbara recovers in due time. I recognize Abreu as certainly one of the top places and you will get more than 'care'. You will get "caring" service with personal pouches added, I am sure.

Please give her my (our) best.

We will include you both in our prayers tonight and tomorrow.

HB & Family.

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
Ken my prays are with you and Barbara from deep in the heart of Texas. Will be back in the DR on the 7th. Tell Barbara to bang on the ceiling if she need veggies or fruits from the truck. :classic: Your upstairs neighbor,
Clifton

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Ken,

as always you are thinking of others in your own "time of need".

Take care of Barbara and we can wait to find out the ultimate results of what your costs were.

A very interesting posting.

Thank you.

Gregg

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Ken,

Thanks for informing us of the care Barbara is receiving. It is nice to know you have thought of the posters during this crucial time. May she recover quick and entirely. You both will be my thoughts and prayers.

Regards,
PJT

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey Ken, so sorry to hear this. Give Barbara a hug from Mary and I. You both will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Argo said:
Ken

Do the medical providers expect cash at time of service, or does an insurance program cover you?

Our insurance coverage is through Blue Cross Blue Shield in the US. I tried to get Clinica Abreu to accept the card, but they know that BCBS reimburses the client so they want patient to pay and get reimbursed. This was also the case when Barbara had cataracts removed earlier this year and when I had surgery on a fractured jaw about 10 years ago.

When a patient is admitted, the hospital collects a deposit. They have a schedule of payments for different things. The depost required for hip at this time is RD$30,000. It was billed to my credit card.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
judyisnice said:
I'm going to find out on Monday just what work my hip needs doing. I plan to come to the DR to have the work done.

So I do look forrward to all the help you can pass on about the next few days and wonder why you diden't have then do it in POP.

Judy, if you come to the DR to have your hip worked on, I highly recommend Dr. Richard Domino' (dough me KNOW) in Santo Domingo.

Re your question about why we didn't have it done in POP, the doctors in SD are generally better than those in POP. Also, we have established a relationship with doctors we trust in SD because during the many years we lived in Samana, SD was the best place to go for anything but the common cold. We started with one doctor recommended to us by a doctor in Puerto Rico we trusted, when we needed a different specialty, he recommended somebody he trusted. In this way, over the years we have gotten in with a group of highly qualified doctors, most of whom are based at Clinica Abreu. One reason we went to SD was because I knew I could call a doctor and ask him to line up the best person available for the job at hand. He chose the orthopedic surgeon he chose to replace the hip on his mother. I thought that was probably a good recommendation.

I might also mention that the doctor in POP was talking about pins and a plate. When I mentioned this to the surgeon in SD, he sort of raised his eyebrows. I'm sure the other way would repair the damage, but I feel that a replaced hip is a much better alternative. I know several people even older than Barbara who had hip replacements and they are living normal lives after surprisingly little recovery and rehabilitation time.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Operation Successful

Thanks for the good wishes. I will pass them on to Barbara.

The operation was a success and she is in very good spirits. They did a
spinal so she doesn't have the post-op grogginess that you get with many
other anesthetics. She goes back to her room at 1 pm. The hip was replaced.

We still don't have any info on how long she will stay in hospital and
what next steps are. Will pass this info on as soon as I know.

Present plan is for me to go to Sosua on Tuesday to pick up more clothes,
etc., and return to SD on Wednesday. When we decided to go to Santo Domingo, we had the ambulance take us back to Sosua so I could pack a couple of suitcases. But it was a rush job and some of the things Barbara needs got left out. Also, I don't have enough clothes for more than Tuesday.
Anyway, as soon as the suitcases were packed we left for Santo Domingo. We regularly watch Third Watch but I don't recall seeing an ambulance parked outside a house while husband packed clothes for the victim.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ken said:
I might also mention that the doctor in POP was talking about pins and a plate. When I mentioned this to the surgeon in SD, he sort of raised his eyebrows. I'm sure the other way would repair the damage, but I feel that a replaced hip is a much better alternative. I know several people even older than Barbara who had hip replacements and they are living normal lives after surprisingly little recovery and rehabilitation time.

I was thinking about that last night Ken. Good choice not to go with pins and plate.

Matt & Nan

Sep 19, 2003
Praying for you and Barbara.

I haven't been on this forum for a while. Sorry to hear about the accident. Nan and I will be praying for her fast recovery.

God bless you both.

Matt & Nan