so many reviews...so little consistancy

busterbaggs

Oct 7, 2004
I have read reviews about the resort I will be going to on several different sites,( debbies dominican review; trip advisor.com; DR1 etc.).
We leave on 11/4/04 for Puerto Plata. We are staying at the marien coral by hilton with 3 other couples.

People who have stayed there in the same month have had very,very different comments.

How can the service range from excellent, to not bad, to down right rude?
How can the food range from very good, to good enough to sickening?
Some people tip the maids daily and can't get the bathroom floor cleaned.
Some don't tip until the last day and get extra towels and fresh flowers daily.
Some have extra beer and soda in the mini fridge, no charge...others have a $70 tab after consuming about a six pack of coke.

I know people's opinions vary and each worker is an idvidual, but I am finding these reviews not only confusing but almost no help at all!!!

Any comments are welcom.

p.s. still can't wait to go!!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know that hotel but I know what you mean about so little consistancy. Everyone has different tastes so what is great for one is seen as crap to others. If you're an easy going person you'll have a wonderful holiday. People that complain all the time will never be happy no matter where they go. ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You will find out yourself!

busterbaggs said:
How can the service range from excellent, to not bad, to down right rude?
How can the food range from very good, to good enough to sickening?
Some people tip the maids daily and can't get the bathroom floor cleaned.
Some don't tip until the last day and get extra towels and fresh flowers daily.
Some have extra beer and soda in the mini fridge, no charge...others have a $70 tab after consuming about a six pack of coke.

I know people's opinions vary and each worker is an idvidual, but I am finding these reviews not only confusing but almost no help at all!!!

Any comments are welcom.

Have you ever heard of the spanish saying "cada cabeza es un mundo" (each head is a world, meaning: EVERY person is different)?. Once I was told that the Calinda Quality Hotel in Cancun, Mexico was the worse hotel and the worse service and food. On my first trip, after listening to so many people say bad things about the hotel, we were so nervous of what was waiting for us. Wanna know what happened?. It was so "bad" that I ONLY stayed in that hotel whenever I went to Cancun (about 17 times). Not only that it was perfect but with it came 5 friendships that have lasted over 19 years. See, "cada cabeza es un mundo", you have to see for yourself.

People have diferent taste and what's good for them, may not be good for you. Some people go on vacation and "put" in their minds that ALL have to be perfect and there's no vacation that is going to be perfect. Just keep in mind that you are the one that can make or destroy your vacation. Don't let the little things keep you from having fun. If they give you, for example, coffee that is too sweet, don't throw a tamtrum like many do, just be nice and tell them that is just too sweet. A vacation is what you make of it and if everry litlle detail bothers you, you will be miserable.

Bottom line, just keep an open mind and I bet that you will have the time of your life!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
exactly.....i remember on my very first trip...on the way back the computers at the airport crashed so we had to be ticketed manualy. THere were 2 or 3 disorganized lines...and when this woman went before this man (obviously an uptight nyc investment banker type)...he started flipping out "I WAS NEXT I WAS NEXT!!!)

I told him to cool off....and next time book a trip at disney in orlando.

It was a starteling sight tho for me....because at that point my mind was totaly tropical.

I am sure the hotel is fine. I dont think the food at any AI will be all that great...but you can always step outside the compound and try dining at real restaurants.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Little story!

jrzyguy said:
exactly.....i remember on my very first trip...on the way back the computers at the airport crashed so we had to be ticketed manualy. THere were 2 or 3 disorganized lines...and when this woman went before this man (obviously an uptight nyc investment banker type)...he started flipping out "I WAS NEXT I WAS NEXT!!!)

I told him to cool off....and next time book a trip at disney in orlando.

It was a starteling sight tho for me....because at that point my mind was totaly tropical.

I am sure the hotel is fine. I dont think the food at any AI will be all that great...but you can always step outside the compound and try dining at real restaurants.
I can write a book with all the stupid situations that I have seen while on vacation. I have seen tourists argue for anything from a missing table spoon to a napkin!.

Don't know about you busterbaggs and jrzyguy but when I go on vacation, I PUT IN MY HEAD THAT I WILL HAVE A GOOD TIME NO MATTER WHAT!. If something comes up, I deal with it and then I go back to having fun. A few years ago, I went to a resort in Punta Cana and the person that was with me was a very "stuck-up" person that put in her mind that she was not going to have fun. From the moment we landed SHE started to complain. She complained about EVERYTHING. Nothing was good enough for her. On the second day, I told her, point blank, "when on vacation, I like to have fun and forget about any problems that I may have. Since nothing is good for you, I will take you right now to the airport and I will put you on the next plane to NY". I did and off she went. I had a miserable 2 days but after she left, I had the best 5 days of my life because now I had to make up for those 2 days!!. My friends were just a phone call away.

bustergaggs, you will be the judge if the service is good or bad, if the food is good or bad, how much you tip is up to you, etc, etc. Just try and don't let the little things get to you. If there's something that you don't like about the resort, by all means, go to another one. See, in my case, I rather spend a few more "greens" and move to another resort if that is going to make me happier. If you keep an open mind and are humble while dealing with any situation, I promise you that you will be very happy. Don't worrry about it. See for yourself and then come back here and let us know of ALL THE FUN THAT YOU HAD!!!.

Have you ever heard of "make a positive out of a negative"?, do that and you will see for yourself that you are the only one that can make or break your vacation. I am so sure that you, if you are humble, are going to have a good time, that I will tell you to have a beer for me!!!. Enjoy and don't worry!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
busterbaggs said:

Any comments are welcom.

You know what they say - opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. Some people are so picky or have such unrealistic expectaions they will slag a place over the slightest misdeed, and others are more resilient - if they don't get food poisoning or killed, they are 100% onside.

Try to read enough and judge by volume and tone - though they are all pretty much the same anyway so you are not in for many surprises bad or, especially , good.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Diantre!!!!

ricktoronto said:
You know what they say - opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one. Some people are so picky or have such unrealistic expectaions they will slag a place over the slightest misdeed, and others are more resilient - if they don't get food poisoning or killed, they are 100% onside.

Try to read enough and judge by volume and tone - though they are all pretty much the same anyway so you are not in for many surprises bad or, especially , good.
CORRECTOMUNDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"opinons are like a** holes, everybody has one", that was a great one!! :nervous:

FloridaHick

May 25, 2004
miguel said:
CORRECTOMUNDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"opinons are like a** holes, everybody has one", that was a great one!! :nervous:
yes but you forgot the rest.
"opinons are like a** holes, everybody has one and most of them stink"

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good hotel....

HI Buster....

The Coral Marien is a very nice hotel!!! I work out in their gym....

If you come with the right ATTITUDE you will have a great stay! Treat everyone with respect and dignity and you will have no problem...

It seems to me it is the people who need attitude adjustments that have the issues and complaints...

Have a great time. If you need anything, I"ll be around.....

d life

Oct 11, 2004
hotels

I have never stayed at that hotel but this is my advice. Remember that you are not in the states and everything will be alright. Do not expect the treatment and the service you are used to in the states and you will be alright. The service may be good but do not seek perfection.
Be nice to people and they will be real nice to you. I have visited the DR several times and have stayed at several different places and have had people bend over backwards to do things for me all the time.
The secret do not demand perfection and also be nice to them. Tipping is good but it is not all about the money. Just a smile here and there. A sincirer good morning. How are you? and just simple pleasantries will go a long way.
Build relationships with the staff. They are real people that have families and also feelings.
Do not view them in a demeaning way and really you will be fine. I believe the the people in the DR are really nice people and that you will have a very nice and pleasant trip.
Remember that you are in a third world country that is trying to offer you american style & standards. Do not expect perfecting, overlook errors, build relationships, and be nice to the people. you will have a great time.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
I couldn't agree more with all the replies above. One piece of advice, bitching is contagious, especially at an AI. If you meet other people that are complaining about every little thing, get away from them.

David Dempsey

Jul 3, 2004
Just stayed at Coral Marien

I just stayed at the Coral Marien and have the following comments:

1. Overall the experience was positive. I found the staff extremely nice and genuinely helpful. The front desk was more professional than at some local resorts. Knowing just a bit of Spanish helps, though.

2. The grounds are very pleasant, the rooms are excellent, the hot water pressure is out of this world.

3. It's relatively quiet, which I personally like. Not a lot of nightlife outside of the obligatory cheesy minor league Vegas floor show. Whether this is good or bad is strictly a matter of personal taste. I appreciated the peace but if you want a lot of noise and activity, the Iberostar next door would be a better choice (I personally hated the Iberostar for this reason).

4. Not great for kids. No children's activities to speak of.

5. The food is bad here. But it's equally bad at all of the other all-inclusive resorts. I highly recommend you budget for a couple nights out, which is not very expensive. Cafe Cito is an amazing little restaurant and it's literally right across the street. Would also recommend a night eating on the Malecon in Puerto Plata and maybe at Papillon in Cofresi.

6. The beach at the Costa Dorada resorts (the Hilton and the Iberostar) is nice, but not as nice as at Playa Dorada. It's perfectly fine, though, and there's less traffic. Unlike Playa Dorada, you also have the advantage of being able to walk right into Puerto Plata.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Exactly!!!

BigCity27 said:
I couldn't agree more with all the replies above. One piece of advice, bitching is contagious, especially at an AI. If you meet other people that are complaining about every little thing, get away from them.

This is so true!! Don't honestly take all this to heart! Go to the resort, with an open mind that you will have a good time, then you will for sure. I have been to many different countries with all different types of all-inclusives! They are all diffrent. You with the mind-set that you will enjoy yourself, and you should, if you don't, because you some silly review that you read. Then you didn't really want to have a good time to begin with.

neilc

Aug 31, 2004
Take it easy

I?ve always found when looking at resort comments whether good or bad you will go with a certain expectation high or low.

Forget everything you hear or read because these people who write them are comparing their experiences with their expectations. It will be different for everyone.

The rule of thumb is just to go and take it as you find it and relax a bit. Don?t stress yourself by getting wound up at the slightest thing because you will come back one uptight and twisted wreck. Not the sort of thing you want from a holiday. ENJOY
;)