Reserve here or there?

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Before I ask the question, here's a brief overview of my mother's situation. She is going to Santo Domingo for Christmas and wants to finish her vacation in a nice hotel with some friends and family. She's looking to book 2 side by side hotel rooms for 4 adults for Dec 29th-Jan 2nd for about $40-$50 per night. She is looking to stay in or near the Malecon, Boca Chica, or Juan Dolio. Keeping in mind that she is Dominican and two of the other adults live in DR, would it be better for her to book reservations with an agency in Miami or should she wait and book reservations when she arrives to Santo Domingo? I ask this because I would assume that residents get better rates than "foreigners." Thanks in advance for any useful advice and please feel free to recommend any particular hotel.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Tour operators offer the better rates because they buy in bulk. Let us know what rate you can get in the US, and we will call and find out the rate being offered to locals.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If she wants a non-AI which is what it sounds like by the low cost, I would not put off reservations between Christmas and New Years on the basis they stand a good chance to be full. She can call them directly from the USA and as a local probably get a good deal on the phone. Tourist class hotels in Boca Chica don't AFAIK have local vs. tourist prices anyway but they fill up fast. And driving thru Juan Dolio I can't recall seeing non AI's at all.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Thanks for the advice so far. I will speak to her about the price because I'm guessing she means $50 per person per night which isn't too bad IMO. Any other input would be appreciated.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
JDub said:
Thanks for the advice so far. I will speak to her about the price because I'm guessing she means $50 per person per night which isn't too bad IMO. Any other input would be appreciated.

Even two to a room, $100 US a night won't buy a good AI at Xmas in any place mentioned. OK hotel room, one apiece in Boca Chica at $50. Still there won't be much without getting a move on.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
ricktoronto said:
Even two to a room, $100 US a night won't buy a good AI at Xmas in any place mentioned. OK hotel room, one apiece in Boca Chica at $50. Still there won't be much without getting a move on.
Thanks again for the info. I have since then spoken with her and cleared up the price issue. She was not seeking an all-inclusive for that price, it was a non-inclusive nice hotel. She said that she is willing to pay more if it is a AI. I told her to take the advice from the board members and go to a travel agency in Miami to see if she can get good rates for an AI or NI and then decide which would suit her needs. Thanks for the help.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
xmas stay

In my experience and at the price of $50 p/p p/d you could rent a two bedroom, two bath condo for a month. Stay the allotted time and just leave.
These can be found in both BC and Juan Dolio. I am sure SD as well, though I haven't done it there. In fact, the last time (1 year ago) it was mid dec-thru mid jan; in BC. And the cost: +- $400.00 US.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
duhtree said:
In my experience and at the price of $50 p/p p/d you could rent a two bedroom, two bath condo for a month. Stay the allotted time and just leave.
These can be found in both BC and Juan Dolio. I am sure SD as well, though I haven't done it there. In fact, the last time (1 year ago) it was mid dec-thru mid jan; in BC. And the cost: +- $400.00 US.
Thanks, I'll let her know that too. If you know any particular ones, please share.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
JDub said:
Thanks, I'll let her know that too. If you know any particular ones, please share.

Check www.bocachicabeach.net for all the non AI's in Boca Chica- there are loads - for families, if you don't want a pool, maybe Zapata on the beach. If you do, then El Candil or Costalunga or Garant, are well within your budget - though fair warning you are running out of time for those 5 Xmas season days if you haven't already.

I was in Juan Dolio recently and if there are many if any non-AI's I didn't see them.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
finally a good BC website with prices. Thanks, you've been a tremendous help.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
JDub said:
finally a good BC website with prices. Thanks, you've been a tremendous help.

Don't bet the farm on those prices being anywhere near accurate with all the peso nonsense lately - and don't rely on e-mail - find a nice one, I recommend the ones mentioned, and call in person, and pronto.