How Far From The Ocean?

HAPPYDUDE

Jan 16, 2004
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME, HOW FAR AWAY FROM THE OCEAN DOES YOUR HOUSE HAVE TO BE TO AVIOD PROBLEMS WITH SALT ERROSION / RUST.HAS THIS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ANYONE THAT YOU KNOW OF AND WHAT CAN BE DONE TO PROTECT YOUR ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT AND CARS. A FRIEND OF MINE IS BUILDING A HOUSE IN PORTA PLATA ABOUT A HALF MILE FROM THE OCEAN. WILL HE HAVE A PROBLEM. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. :nervous:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HAPPYDUDE said:
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME, HOW FAR AWAY FROM THE OCEAN DOES YOUR HOUSE HAVE TO BE TO AVIOD PROBLEMS WITH SALT ERROSION / RUST.HAS THIS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ANYONE THAT YOU KNOW OF AND WHAT CAN BE DONE TO PROTECT YOUR ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT AND CARS. A FRIEND OF MINE IS BUILDING A HOUSE IN PORTA PLATA ABOUT A HALF MILE FROM THE OCEAN. WILL HE HAVE A PROBLEM. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. :nervous:
There is no set distance. 1/2 a mile is a good distance.
It has more to do with if you are facing into the ocean breeze than the distance.
Coastal houses that face into the East will have greater corrosion problems than those that face into the North.
Even if the corrosion doesn't get you, high and low voltage will.
Electronics simply last less here.
It's part of life.
You can buy surge protectors, install ground pins deep into the earth, etc, but nothing can protect you 100%.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Ocean salt

Rocky is right about the salt content of the air. In the Puerto Plata/Sosua area the prevailing breeze is almost consistently from the southeast, off the mountain.
Just a nice gentle breeze, cool at night. I live about 150 feet above sea level, a mile from the ocean, near Puerto Plata, and have not experienced any of the rust problems one has in Florida.