Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cellular Service

I would like to purchase a cellular telephone for a resident in the Dominican Republic. However, I need to know what service providers are there so I can l determine what type of phone to buy here in the USA.

Thanks for your help.

Darryl

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to go there with the phone vs. mail it? If so just buy one from Verizon or Orange for guaranteed compatibility and they will activate it and so forth - they are as low as $20 US for a perfectly good phone. You can be in and out in 30 minutes at an Orange shop with a new phone. While other people will tell you this or that GSM phone will work, some are locked and most if not all cost more (without a contract/commitment) anyway so why have the hassle?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sibercor
    I would like to purchase a cellular telephone for a resident in the Dominican Republic. However, I need to know what service providers are there so I can l determine what type of phone to buy here in the USA.

Thanks for your help.

Darryl
    There are 2 major carriers in the DR; Verizon and Orange. Verizon operates on CDMA, which as the same as US Verizon, Sprint, Altel and many others. Orange is a GSM carrier, so AT&T wireless, and I believe Nextel phones will work with them.

You should definately consider buying in the DR, as any phone you bring down, you will have to pay at least for activation, and if it isn't unlocked you'll pay more for that. Cost of phones in the DR has gone down dramatically in the last couple of years. Both Verizon and Orange will sell you a basic full-function dual-band tri-mode phone (nokia, Qualcom or Kyocera) with activation for under 30 dollars. A motorola Startac flipfone at Verizon is about 80.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

just curious, what model fones can be purchased for US$30?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ride2hard
    just curious, what model fones can be purchased for US$30?
    I can't remember the model number of the Qualcom I bought. These are basic phones, but mine works great and gets better reception than a much more expensive one I brought from the states before. If (as I suspect) this is to be a gift for a young female, I would advise spending a bit more for a flip-phone or something smaller and "sexier". Fashion is often more important than function in that "market".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdbt
    There are 2 major carriers in the DR; Verizon and Orange. Verizon operates on CDMA, which as the same as US Verizon, Sprint, Altel and many others. Orange is a GSM carrier, so AT&T wireless, and I believe Nextel phones will work with them.

You should definately consider buying in the DR, as any phone you bring down, you will have to pay at least for activation, and if it isn't unlocked you'll pay more for that. Cost of phones in the DR has gone down dramatically in the last couple of years. Both Verizon and Orange will sell you a basic full-function dual-band tri-mode phone (nokia, Qualcom or Kyocera) with activation for under 30 dollars. A motorola Startac flipfone at Verizon is about 80.
    Can you Please send a contact number for Verizon? My friend lives in Sosua.
    Are phones that take photos available?

Thanks. Darryl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetdbt
    I can't remember the model number of the Qualcom I bought. These are basic phones, but mine works great and gets better reception than a much more expensive one I brought from the states before. If (as I suspect) this is to be a gift for a young female, I would advise spending a bit more for a flip-phone or something smaller and "sexier". Fashion is often more important than function in that "market".
    Are photo phones available? If so what is approximate cost?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Are photo phones available? If so what is approximate cost?
    Yes they are, although of course you are talking about a lot more money. Probably about US200 plus for something with picture-taking capabilities. remember that these are straight-out purchases with no contract obligations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ricktoronto
    Are you going to go there with the phone vs. mail it? If so just buy one from Verizon or Orange for guaranteed compatibility and they will activate it and so forth - they are as low as $20 US for a perfectly good phone. You can be in and out in 30 minutes at an Orange shop with a new phone. While other people will tell you this or that GSM phone will work, some are locked and most if not all cost more (without a contract/commitment) anyway so why have the hassle?
    Can you send a contact numer for Verizon in DR?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you send a contact numer for Verizon in DR?
    here's a link. You may be able to find a phone # on the website, but I'm not sure how helpful that will be.

http://www.verizon.com.do/productosy...goria=personal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast