Bringing back the BOOZE!!

busterbaggs

Oct 7, 2004
If you have more bottles than allowed,I have heard several stories from...

stick to the legal guidelines....
flash the cash at the airport and they look the other way...
if you are over the limit, offer a bottle and you can keep the rest.....
bring back what you want....no one cares....
6-10 years hard labor (just joking)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Allowed by who? Leaving the DR they could care less. Arriving in the USA or Canada just try a bribe and see how many months you get and you'll have the stuff confiscated.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
From what I've heard Canada is a little more difficult than the US. The security in the Dominican Republic could care less what you have. If you're flying back into the U.S., the worse that can happen is that you'll have to pay the duty. I've brought a lot of booze back and never had to pay it. The last time I came back I was searched by a customs official. I had 6 1.75L bottles of Extra Viejo, 3 cartons of cigarettes, & 3 boxes of La Aurora cigars distrubuted between two suitcases. The guy didn't care. I always figured if the US gov't is worried about me taking a few extra bottles of booze or whatever back, then we have a lot more problems than I thought.

jean

Oct 16, 2004
I have heard from inspectors that its not worth doing all of the paperwork. BUT, if one was stopped by some Gung Ho rookie, does anyone know what the duty is for an extra bottle?....jean

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jean said:
I have heard from inspectors that its not worth doing all of the paperwork. BUT, if one was stopped by some Gung Ho rookie, does anyone know what the duty is for an extra bottle?....jean

If you mean Canada is is quite a bit measured by volume, proof and price - figure on CDN$20 a bottle or so, though maybe less if the price is very low that will lower the excise and GST. If you mean leaving the DR there are no checks, duties, taxes or anything else. DO not put in your checked baggage - if found it will not be shipped.

And BTW there is no "paperwork" at Canada Customs- it is all on a terminal and they can enter your name and what you brought and make up a bill in 30 seconds and you can pay with a credit card.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Jean,

jean said:

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

I just returned 10 days ago and declared all my 6 X 1.75 L. of Brugal Extra Viejo and was ultimately charged duty on two jugs or 3.5 L. The % alcohol is not on the label so I told them it was either 40% (like most in Canada) or 34% which some DR spirits are. The duty is made up of the type of spirit; the % alcohol, the $CDN cost and the volume. In the case of my rum they used Rum; 34%; $10CDN X 2; and 1.75 L. X 2. I landed in Toronto so the LCBO mark-up was included and depending on where you land the mark-up may vary a bit. The total of all duties, taxes, mark-ups, etc., etc. was $38.52 CDN and as Rick said they were pleased to put it on my credit card.

Gregg

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I've tried to find the exact amount allowed

into the US but haven't been successful. I decided during my June trip to simply bring back as much as I wanted, declare all of it on the US Customs form, and let the chips fall where they may.

I brought back the following:

2 Brugal Extra Viejo 1750 ml
2 Brugal Extra Viejo 700 ml
2 Barcelo Imperial 700 ml
plus a couple of smaller bottles of rum and some red wine.

When I handed the customs form to the agent in Miami, he barely looked at it.
I plan to bring back even more rum on my next trip. :)

Swede

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Swede,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

m65swede said:
into the US but haven't been successful.

The actual amount that US residents are allowed to impost duty free from the DR (your experience not withstanding) is 1 L. of spirits and a second 1 L. as long as it is manufactured in a list of 23 (I believe) Caribbean Basin countries (of which the DR is one).

This comes up regularly on Debbie's and I have looked it up on more than one occasion.

Gregg