Has anyone stayed at Residence El Candil?

portcityplaya

Oct 10, 2004
Has anyone stayed here recently. It is in Boca Chica? My friends and I are going to be in BC for a couple of days and are looking for someplace to stay. No AI's. We don't want to waste the money. We were also looking at Costalunga hotel. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

James

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Good Choices

Either are fine - you better get on the phone (don't try e-mail) pronto if you are thinking any time after the 1st week of December. They are quiet popular due to their good standards and prices and facilites so they sell out.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Nice for Newcomers

REVIEW: March 2004

El Candil: ***
www.comdata.nl/hotel-boca-chica-candil

3 nights (Saturday ? Monday)

Price: $45 a night + $1/day for key to room safe (optional)

UPSIDE: Chica friendly (no guest charge), clean elegant pool, room safe, large rooms (living room and bedroom), A/C and fan, 13" cable TV (adult channel, and programming in English and Spanish), mini kitchen with fridge, management is cool and accommodating, balcony with a view, door w/ a bolt, 1 bar and a restaurant, 5 minute walk to the beach, electronically gated

DOWNSIDE: Security is tight, but this may be a plus for some

COMMENTS: I really enjoyed my stay here. Guiseppe, is a good guy and will take good care of you. Book in advance, because this place can fill up.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
both are great

especialy if you are new and not looking for an AI.

I guess it depends WHY you are going there. I Do say that the security is tighter at candil...not obtrusive...but stricter than costalunga. I think candil has a nicer layout tho.

I have to agree with rick about booking soon tho. I just found a good RT to SDQ...and have been in contact with candil (via email)...and they have urged me to let them know SOON...as january is high season.

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
I stayed at el candil and have to say that it is very good.

The staff is wonderful and the rooms are nice and clean.

The maids are also very good. I left a like one or two hundred pesos ($5 usd at the time?) on the desk in my room as a tip for the maid and when I came back I found my room was all made up and clean and the pesos were still there. I later explained to the maid that it was a tip for her and gave it to her personally.

The a/c is pretty good and goes all the way up to 11. I made the mistake of setting it on the highest setting and woke up the next day in shivers. The cool thing about it is that the a/c is remote controlled.

I'll agree with what others have said about the security being tight but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Basically they will not hassle you but will offer you suggestions if it is your first time as to places to go and what to do and not to do. Overall, I found the security and staff to be very helpful and friendly (they helped me rent a car too!). Also if you arrive at SDQ they will pick you up from the airport and drop you off for free.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Top Choice

jcarn said:
I stayed at el candil and have to say that it is very good.

The staff is wonderful and the rooms are nice and clean.

The maids are also very good. I left a like one or two hundred pesos ($5 usd at the time?) on the desk in my room as a tip for the maid and when I came back I found my room was all made up and clean and the pesos were still there. I later explained to the maid that it was a tip for her and gave it to her personally.

The a/c is pretty good and goes all the way up to 11. I made the mistake of setting it on the highest setting and woke up the next day in shivers. The cool thing about it is that the a/c is remote controlled.

I'll agree with what others have said about the security being tight but this is not necessarily a bad thing. Basically they will not hassle you but will offer you suggestions if it is your first time as to places to go and what to do and not to do. Overall, I found the security and staff to be very helpful and friendly (they helped me rent a car too!). Also if you arrive at SDQ they will pick you up from the airport and drop you off for free.

Canadian Friend stays there all the time when in B.C.. Friendly people. Similar rates around $45.U.S......Cheers. M.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
No wonder

No wonder I could never get a room at the candil or costalunga, people on this forum is blowing up the best non-AI in BC. Last time I was there, I couldn't get a room :cry:

BC is getting to crowded, I'm going up north, PUNTO

JohnR

Jan 23, 2004
portcityplaya said:
Has anyone stayed here recently. It is in Boca Chica? My friends and I are going to be in BC for a couple of days and are looking for someplace to stay. No AI's. We don't want to waste the money. We were also looking at Costalunga hotel. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

James

I was there the first week in Oct, and would definitely stay there again- fair price, clean room, everything worked in the room, good security. If you have a guest, they will have to check in at the office and provide ID.

John