First Visit to DR.. Help

jen_zy

Nov 4, 2004
Hey everyone.. My name is Jen and I am a 20 year old student from Alberta, Canada. Me and a friend are going to Sosua for 10 days around New Years. Just looking for some advice about where to visit and what to do...
We were wondering how much of what kind of money to bring? Is it best to bring US money? How much do most tours cost? How much does it cost to go out to the bar? ow much to taxis cost?

Any info that you can give me is greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Jen

samara131

Aug 27, 2004
hi there,
i went to the dr for the first time last month. it was great. i dont know if you have anything in particular booked yet, but i would suggest you go to cabarete and spend at least a few days, if not more. if you dont know, its the next town over, about 10 minutes away. i liked it so much better than sosua. all the bars and restaurants are centralized right on the beach. you gotta look around but there are cheap specials every night. it is a lot more young/athletic focused. sosua just seemed kinda seedy. just something to think about.
and yes, i would suggest US cash. its the easiest.
if you have any other questions use the search function on the page to research it. there is a wealth of knowledge here.
have fun!

tomson

Jan 14, 2004
Re sousa

Hey Jen i have been to sosua a number of times (i am from Saskatoon) the cost will all depend on where you are staying, If you are stayin at a all inclusive you will not need much for money maybe $500.00-$750.00 Can is lots,food to eat out is about the same as it is at home and booze is a little cheaper. The first time i went (20 years ago) we had toline up at the park every couple of days to get money form the money truck now it as easy as using the debit machine. If you can get some small us cash for tiping great but Can Travel Cheques are fine. We also use a credit card it we want to go on any trips jungle tour, funny bikes etc. Do not rent a car or motorbike way to dnagerous take a taxi or bus. Go to Cabarete its GREAT about 1/2 hr away windsurfing kite sailing huge beach. If you need more info email me. I got lots. Remember this is a differnt contry things are not the same as home and this is a good thing. sit back let the sun shine and relax and try not to fall in love

Tomson

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Hey Jen
other posters were on the money better stay in Cabarete. Younger crowd there, more sports and dancin on the beach. Do a Sosua Cabarete search and you will find that this topic has been discussed to the bone. You already have advise on moneymatters and as for transport, take the taxi publicos for your rides between Sosua and Cabarete and the obligatory day-out in Puerto Plata. Publicos have a red sign on their roof on this route and you hold them by waving your hand. Once inside, handover 10 pesos to the driver or 20 if you're going to PP. You will not be the only passenger in the cab, there will be the odd 5 or 6 others. Don't worry, they'll scoot, that's why it is called a publico.
And don't forget to flick through this thread.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39
It's witty, useful and TRUE!! -)