cats and voodoo

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
Why do I not see many felines in the RD? Could this be because there are so many Hatians who practice voo doo with cats?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You don't see graveyards & you don't see cats? And you don't have selective perception? Hmmmm. Actually, if you are looking for cats, other than those in people's homes, try looking where food is eg colmados, butcher shops, and big surprise, fish shops & restaurants.
I will not comment on your presupposition with regard to voodoo as this comes under the heading of religion.
And in answer to the question why can't you buy kidneys in butchers shops, the answer is no, they don't use them in transplants. ;)

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
I thought they used chickens and there don't seem to be any shortage of those around, especially at dawn (just kidding).

I am happy to report that two of the cats that we met on our second trip to Cabarete were still there on our third. One even showed up at our villa way down the beach from where we were used to seeing them (around the Tropical Beach). We already had a villa cat at that point. He showed up our first day and moved right in, made sure we knew where the refrigerator was and expressed his preference for chicken over ham. He spent the nights sleeping on our friends' bed but would clear out as soon as the maids showed up during the day.

Rose

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Darn there goes the secret recipe

Criss Colon said:
MOst of what you think is "Chicken" in the Chinese Restaurants is actually Pidgeon or cat!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Heck now everybody will be eating chinese. cat with salsa/mmmmm good

there are a few around just not close to the restaurants.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Another of life's dilemmas

As a cat lover (live) and Chinese food lover, I wish I hadn't started reading this thread.

If there are so many experts on this, is there really no difference in the taste of cat and chicken? Oh, I feel sick...... :cry:

Fortunately, we live slap between Sosua and Cabarete and there's no Chinese restaurant in sight, so Shrek should be safe for a while longer.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I have not yet had the opportunity to have cat but I have friends who have. They tell me rabbit and cat are identical with the only noticable difference being rabbits have round bones where cat bones are flatter.

Rabbit and chicken are very similar. I would discribe rabbit as being a little stronger in flavor than chicken but both are very mild meats.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Oh, I wish I hadn't heard that either.

Thanks for the good news. In England we went through a spate years ago of cats disappearing and it was feared that they were being catnapped for animal experimentation. Thank God, none of my moggies went missing. They knew where they were well off.

I guess if people are hungry enough they'll eat anything. Despite having been vegetarian for 12 years, I'm eating meat again since first coming to this country, so I guess it's no different really. When I had some dairy cows and watched the calves come into the world, I have to admit I couldn't look them in the eye without a guilty conscience. :cry:

Still, if anyone gets near my cat with a knife and fork or a machete, they'll be saying more than "yum yum". :angry: She's a vicious beast when roused, half wild, so she'd probably give them a good run for their money, but the thought of it just makes me want to throw up, having just eaten a nice chicken curry.......

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
cats that were peoples pets

sorry, but I have to take issue with this phrase. It reads better: 'people that were cats pets'.

By the way, in Las Lomas de Azua, where I live, there are no cats, and yes, cats are considered an exquisite gourmet delicacy. No, I've never tasted cat, but my neighbors say it's better than my stewed rabbit... I've asked for it among the meat stalls in the Azua's town market, with negative results, however, I've been shown bootleg carey, manat?, and bac?...

Mirador

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I'm getting dense in my old age.

I've read this last post three or four times and I'm still not certain that I understand it properly. Are you suggesting that cats could possibly be the bosses in their homes? Surely not. My cat certainly rules the roost, and I think that is the case in about 75% of cases, at least with gringos.

In a previously life, I used to manage a team of counsellors and read somewhere that "managing counsellors is like herding cats". Have you ever tried herding even one cat? Not an easy task. Just one reason why I prefer my life here! It's much simpler, despite being bossed about by a cat. I've never had a female cat before Shrek (I was assured she was a male when I took her in, but she's either undergone a sex change, or someone misguided me) and she's by far the most demanding and unpredictable cat I've ever had, but then she is also the only Dominican cat I have ever had, so far.....

Excuse my ignorance, but I also don't know what these rare animals are. Please enlighten me, although I don't think I'll be rushing out to try them. I think I know what the manati is, (something like a walrus?), but please confirm this.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Excuse my ignorance, but I also don't know what these rare animals are

it not so much that they are rare, but they're practically extinct, except the bac?. The manat? is the sea lion, and carey is the giant sea turtle. The bac? is another matter altogether. It so happens that around my home in Las Lomas I try to be part of the solution instead of the problem, so I've unintentionally fostered an image of generosity, and since my neighbors cannot see my invisible (to them) means of support, plus my chearful and carefree disposition, they've come to the conclusion that I have a bac?. According to folk belief, a bac? is a mystical being obtained by entering into a contract with the devil (or 'bad bird' in the local lore). So when I ask for bac? meat in the market, many laugh nervously.

Mirador

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
lol!!!!!!!!

Buck69 said:
Why do I not see many felines in the RD? Could this be because there are so many Hatians who practice voo doo with cats?

Is this post a joke? LMAO!!! :eek: