Receiving US$3000 by Western Union from the US

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
I was supposed to receive a wire from the US, US$3000 by Western Union here in Sosua today.
Now the person who supposedly sent the money comes up with this:

"Yes, they are sending me back to WU tomorrow to do a receive and get the funds returned. The problem with the W/U was probably because of the amount and because it was sent person-to-person. I normally send WU Quick Pay $5000 increments at a time, but since it was person-to-person the world got turned upside down.

The problem now is that WU has frozen my accounts. I can't send any WU transactions until they clear this, not even my Quick Pay transfers."

Is it actually a problem to send $3000 from the US to the DR, or should I worry about the persons trustworthiness?
BTW, I wouldn?t care whether they hand me the money in Dollars or Pesos.

They then suggest to sent two increments of $1500 by Money Gram.
Is there Money Gram somewhere near Sosua?

Thanks for any suggestions...

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I know......

.........that I did have a problem sending money once because they said it was too much. This was about 5 years ago and since then, I use different options. I think that they may be telling you the truth......only my opinion! Western Union can be very difficult to deal with sometimes..........why?, I have no idea, but I will never use them again.

I remember another time, that someone that was living with me sent some money, and after they did it they went to work. Western Union called the house to confirm (again, why I don't know) and even though I knew how much, from whom and to whom, they would not send it cause they couldn't talk to the sender. Doesn't make much sense to me. YOU GIVE THEM THE MONEY, THE FEE ETC........JUST SEND THE ******..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
wire the money

After sending WU several times without any problems(1000) each time, we decided to wire bank to bank. Scotia bank here in Canada to BHD in the DR.
It cost 24 dollars Canadian to send $1000 US, MUCH cheaper than WU.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
gerd said:
They then suggest to sent two increments of $1500 by Money Gram.
Is there Money Gram somewhere near Sosua?

Thanks for any suggestions...

As to the last part, MoneyGram lists the Banco Popular Dominicano in Sosua as its agent. (809) 571-2525

Swede

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Please do a EFT not WU

Your talking about an incredible fee for nothin, An internation wire transefer of unlimited dollars might cost 25 - $50, why pay more?

-Lee

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can FEDEX a check cheaper

If you do not need the money urgently, why not have a check sent via Business Mail to POP or FedEx it to Sosua??

If you have bona fides at Santa Cruz you can cash it there with no problem.

YOu should establish yourself with one of the better banks and Santa Cruz is well know as an exchange bank, too.

HB :D:D