Passport required to enter DR?

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
Hi everyone,

My sister and brother-in-law would like to join me on my next trip to the DR but they do not have passports. Does anyone know if their Canadian birth certificates, along with their picture ID, are sufficient to gain entry??

Thanks!
Shelley

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You know what we need, Wud?

Some search function on this board, because I am a bit sure than someone asked this once before, maybe twice, maybe 900 times.

I think the DR migracion stamps the entry and exit stamps on the birth certificate though and those tiny wallet sized ones get messed up and are a lot of money and time to replace. Nobody should travel internationally without a passport.

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
Thanks!

Thanks for both your responses. I appreciate it.

Yes, no one should travel internationally without a passport but it was very hard to convince them to go and it will probably be many years before they do it again.

And, yes, I should have tried to search function before posting my question. But be nice to us newbies. This thing takes a little getting used to. :confused:

Thanks again!

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Some search function on this board, because I am a bit sure than someone asked this once before, maybe twice, maybe 900 times.

I think the DR migracion stamps the entry and exit stamps on the birth certificate though and those tiny wallet sized ones get messed up and are a lot of money and time to replace. Nobody should travel internationally without a passport.

I agree, you can't go wrong with a passport, saves you lots of hassle with government officials, not only Dominican ones, but if you travel abroad as well.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Canadian Birth certificate

ricktoronto said:
I think the DR migracion stamps the entry and exit stamps on the birth certificate though and those tiny wallet sized ones get messed up and are a lot of money and time to replace.

No, they don't stamp your birth certificate but since you are not allowed to laminate them, they do get kind of worn.

I always use my birth certificate and Drivers License when I travel to the DR. No problems. Although I will be getting a passport soon.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
My own search

ricktoronto said:

I just completed a search to see how many times you told someone that they were stupid and should use the DR1 search engine. It is 995 times. It is getting very old Rick.
Charlie