Medical School in DR

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
I am was planning on going to med school here, but someone just told me last night that in DR its cheaper and just as good. Here is costs about 60G a year and over there 8G. Here its hard to get in. you have to apply to about 12 schools, and each application costs about $300. When you go to school in DR you get 2wks off every 4mo. You are taught in English, but your rotation is in Spanish-that's no prob. with me I'm bilingual. You take the 3 levels test here and do your residency here. The school can be paid by the US gov't with something similar to the FASFA. I work in medicine and he told me I could get a job there which would also keep my Professional license current, and keep the NYS Office of Professions from canceling it. The guy I spoke to told me all this. He told me about some school called UMIBE in Santo Domingo. I tried there website and it did not work (www.umibe.do). I need help. If anyone knows anything, knows of any schools, or wants to correct any of the above PLEEEase do so. I would greatly appreciate it.

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
I went to Med school here, and had rotations in US hospitals during my last year (St. Barnabas in the Bronx for internal Med and Creighton University in Omaha, NE for anesthesia)
If you have the means, even with loans...STAY IN THE US!!
People that say that medical education here is just as good as in the States are, in my opinion, crazy.
Professors, hospitals, and everything else is far better in the US.
Also, getting into a good residency after medical school is a lot easier if you go to an american school.
If you are used to american schools and system, you will hate it here.
The best part of my medical school experience was when I got to leave for a couple of months.
I went to PUCMM in Santiago.
If you have to come here, go to UNIBE in Santo Domingo and start studying for USMLE as soon as possible.
Don't let people fool you when they say you get more hands on experience here, it's a big lie, I got to do more on patients in the US than here...plus the hospitals were really nice, not rundown 3rd world hospitals where people die for no good reason.

KBarwise

Jun 28, 2004
DMAO said:
I am was planning on going to med school here, but someone just told me last night that in DR its cheaper and just as good. Here is costs about 60G a year and over there 8G. Here its hard to get in. you have to apply to about 12 schools, and each application costs about $300. When you go to school in DR you get 2wks off every 4mo. You are taught in English, but your rotation is in Spanish-that's no prob. with me I'm bilingual. You take the 3 levels test here and do your residency here. The school can be paid by the US gov't with something similar to the FASFA. I work in medicine and he told me I could get a job there which would also keep my Professional license current, and keep the NYS Office of Professions from canceling it. The guy I spoke to told me all this. He told me about some school called UMIBE in Santo Domingo. I tried there website and it did not work (www.umibe.do). I need help. If anyone knows anything, knows of any schools, or wants to correct any of the above PLEEEase do so. I would greatly appreciate it.

Unibe's website is www.unibe.edu.do
also you can find information on www.valuemd.com
I am an UNIBE student, and will definitely agree that it is worlds apart from going to school in the states. If you can genuinely get into a medical school in the states, do that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course if you can afford to go to Med School in the US, by all means do so. ZZZZ

However, if you really want to be a doctor and can't afford those fees up there, then the PUCMM is your best option IF you speak and Understand Spanish. I wish that DR Shooter had told us how he/she got along during their time in the states. PUCMM does not recruit students outside of the hispanic communities of NYC and Miami (Puerto Rico is a given), it trains doctors for the DR not the US, but those that do go to the US have done extremely well ($$$$$)

One reason is that the PUCMM program is light years ahead of any other program in the DR is because it is a modular program with a very hands-on approach to medicine. More practical than theoretical, that is for sure. And hard work, too. But the theory is there, too.

If you are a US citizen, you can certainly opt for any residency program you wish to, since PUCMM grads have done this all across the states with great success. Every medschool graduate, stateside or not has to pass the same tests in order to qualify for residency or medical practice in the States. Generally speaking, if you do your studies, you will pass. I have yet to meet a student that has failed the test-but then again, I do not go around with the med students all that much.

As for costs, I think that $8 K a year might be about right for tuition and fees, but the university does participate in the Federal loan programs so you can almost do all of your studies on Uncle Sam's cuff.

As far as working and doing your studies? Are you nuts? There is no way you can do any work beyond your first two semesters, if you are starting from scratch. If you are a transfer student, no way, Jos?.

Come on DRShooter, tell us how you did in the States....

HB :D:D

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Hillbilly said:
However, if you really want to be a doctor and can't afford those fees up there, then the PUCMM is your best option IF you speak and Understand Spanish. I wish that DR Shooter had told us how he/she got along during their time in the states. PUCMM does not recruit students outside of the hispanic communities of NYC and Miami (Puerto Rico is a given), it trains doctors for the DR not the US, but those that do go to the US have done extremely well ($$$$$)

One reason is that the PUCMM program is light years ahead of any other program in the DR is because it is a modular program with a very hands-on approach to medicine. More practical than theoretical, that is for sure. And hard work, too. But the theory is there, too.

If you are a US citizen, you can certainly opt for any residency program you wish to, since PUCMM grads have done this all across the states with great success. Every medschool graduate, stateside or not has to pass the same tests in order to qualify for residency or medical practice in the States. Generally speaking, if you do your studies, you will pass. I have yet to meet a student that has failed the test-but then again, I do not go around with the med students all that much.

As for costs, I think that $8 K a year might be about right for tuition and fees, but the university does participate in the Federal loan programs so you can almost do all of your studies on Uncle Sam's cuff.

As far as working and doing your studies? Are you nuts? There is no way you can do any work beyond your first two semesters, if you are starting from scratch. If you are a transfer student, no way, Jos?.

Come on DRShooter, tell us how you did in the States....

HB :D:D

I did well, but not because of anything they taught me in PUCMM. I was studying for the USMLE before I graduated so I had some knowledge that most students in PUCMM don't.
The biggest problem in PUCMM medical school is that they continue to believe that they are the best. It is not the case. PUCMM med school is not a good school anymore.
Hillbilly...how long since you've been to the anatomy and physiology labs?? or been on rounds with some of the so called "doctors" that teach us?? Or been an intern at Cabral?? I know what I lived... and saw. Most med students here, and some "profesors" don't have a clue.
Oh...and the very praised "sistema modular" is not the wonder it is supposed to be. A lot of students pass basic science without knowledge of bichem, genetics, etc.
Oh...and the title is Doctor in medicine, theory should come before practice always, it is why you are called "Doctor"...otherwise your just a PA.
If you must come here...go to UNIBE.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All I can say is

If you did well you owe it to your university.

And if you think that the PUCMM is getting long in the tooth, perhaps you should do some checking at the other med schools.

I will take your observations to the head of the department and see what their reactions are.

Are you practicing here or there? IE, the States or the DR??

HB

PS: Feel free to email me with more details..

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
take a quick read

DMAO said:

DMAO,

I am currently in UNIBE, their website is http://www.unibe.edu.do

I have a couple of things to tell you though. You should know that the DR is a third world country. I had that in mind before coming here. I knew that times would be hard, that the fluctiation of the US$ would affect me if it ever drops, and guess what it has. My father sends me $150 a month for personal expenses, not including the bills and such. Back in February, that was great, it was wonderful. Now, I'm in hell for the time being. I compensate for that by no longer buying beers every day, going to the clubs to meet women, etc. Sometimes I feel jealous of the other foreigners in UNIBE because I am in the spanish program (i am fluent in spanish) and most of them are in the English program; they get loans of $18000 US dolars every 4 months, which is a hell of alot of money here. The Spanish program is not eligible for FASFA loans. Tuition for the English program is $4500 US dolars per quatrimestre or semester and there are 3 quatrimestres per year. For me, since I am in the Spanish program it costs around $600 US Dolars. Again, I do feel envious sometimes cause I have to really struggle just to survive here while the other foreigners don't, but hey, before coming here I knew what I was getting into. I would rather struggle a bit than have to pay handsome debts when I finished with my studies.

I would also like to add that UNIBE is the most expensive school in the country, regardless of the program. One of it?s merit?s and goals is to be the best. They have a lot of relations back in the states too. It being the most expensive school in the country don?t be surprised if you see the richest family?s in one of your classes. Already I have made friends with a couple of millionaires here (in pesos and dollars!) and they act totally cool about it. For example, I once had a problem w/ a Puerto Rican that thought he was too good or something, and Coripio (family member of the distribudor Corripio) said if he wanted me to have him murdered (of course I delined, lol..) Money talks, you?ll see rich stuck up girls and guys here as well as humble ones. When I first arrived, it was obvious I was from the states and a girl had taken interest in me and asked me out, I told her no because I had a girlfriend back in the states. A couple of days later mostly everyone asked me if I was nuts, that she has a lot of money, being the daughter of the owner of Induveccal Gosh how I regretted that afterwards? But hey, the life, as they say? oh well.

Back on topic, you shouldn't consider coming here if you don't know what you are getting into. Luckily I traveled here to the DR many times before making the deceision, my father is dominican, I lived here for a 4 years when I was a toddler, and I have a few relatives that I can turn too when things do get super rough (like now). I along with my sister decided to take the chance and come. There are many benefits, like the no wait fee in order to get in. Would you rather be a doctor at a young age or at an older age? Coming here saves you at least 6 years or so. Again, do not come here if you have no clue what's going on... I knew what was going on. In fact, on my first day here after I moved I got assaulted by some thug.

Also, you get what you pay for. Of course, paying US$60k per year, I'd expect alot more than what US$8k gives you (Which by the way UNIBE costs more than that). In fact for 60 thousand dollars and for what I've seen here, I'd even expect celebrities to be on campus, free drinks, a personal body guard, a daily royal massage and things of that caliber.

Anyway, the education system is up to par here from what I've seen. You can even go to la UASD, which is the first university in America. They say if you graduate from there you are a good doctor due to the hardships of the Dominican government, and besides, every school recognizes it since it is the original, founded sometime in the 1600's.

Feel free to contact me via msn: theartofbone@hotmail.com or yahoo messgr: corleone139.

Take care and goodluck,
Roberto

Last edited:

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Dude...you just accused the son of one of the most powerfull men in the DR of offering to have somebody killed!!!
Be carefull of such things if you still live in this country.

Last edited:

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Thank you all for your info. It has been very helpful. I am Dominican and am familiar with the country. Maybe not as well as I know the states, but good enough.

Thanks, again. :classic:

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
DRshooter said:
Dude...you just accused the son of one of the most powerfull men in the DR of offering to have somebody killed!!!
Be carefull of such things if you still live in this country.

Thanks for the tip... ;) Msg edited... but yea, I was just trying to show him how things are differently run over here.

Take care,
Roberto

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
theartofbone said:
Thanks for the tip... ;) Msg edited... but yea, I was just trying to show him how things are differently run over here.

Take care,
Roberto
Yeah...no problem man...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
From another thread about the same:

MEDICAL BOARD OF CALIFORNIA
DIVISION OF LICENSING

RECOGNIZED CARIBBEAN/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC MEDICAL SCHOOLS
Autonomous University of Santo Domingo
Central University of the East (UCE)
Instituto Tecnologico de Santo Domingo (INTEC)
National University of Pedro Henriquez Urena
Nordestana University
Mother and Master Catholic University

DISAPPROVED SCHOOLS
CETEC University, Santo Domingo (closed) - disapproved 5/19/83
CIFAS University, Santo Domingo (closed) - disapproved 11/16/84
UTESA University, Santo Domingo - disapproved 7/13/85; disapproval
order, modified 5/10/91; disapproved 2/7/97.
World University, Santo Domingo (closed) - disapproved 12/1/89
Universidad Eugenio Maria de Hostos (UNIREMHOS), Dom. Rep. -
(disapproved 11/1/96)
Universidad Federico Henriquez y Carvajal, Dom. Rep. - (disapproved
7/31/9
Did Unibe get approval already?

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Hey careful with what you say about people, you could get some other people killed or shutdown because of it. Geez how stupid can you be.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Medical Schools?

Back in the old days -- oh dear - I dare not remember how old - but I know the names of all four Beatles - friends of mine went to school in Madrid. Is that now in high priced Euros? Also Cuba has the best medical in this hemisphere but of course, that would obviously preclude practicing in the US (but there are kids going there - I know one Congressman who is trying to send urban blacks there so perhaps it is being approved?) Also there is that not to be forgotton medical school in Grenada and one, also , I think in Dominica....
I don't know if any of this had anything to do with anything of if I am just bored -- I will be losing in house internet in another week and want to spout off -
thanks -
Elizabeth

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
Well I studied medicine at la Uce (Universidad Central del Este) in SPM (San Pedro de Macoris) and it was the best thing I ever did...ofcourse I am fluent in both spanish and english. I loved the experience. I had fun and became a doctor at the same time. As soon as I graduated I started studying for the USMLE exams, passed Steps 1 and 2 in 6 months and got a residency 3 months later. For me it has gone very, very well and I am forever grateful to the DR and my alma mater for the opportunity it has given me in life. It was well worth every moment.

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Uasd?

I had not noticed this thread before it was resurrected, but it brought a question to mind...

I know someone attending medical school at UASD in Santiago, and was wondering what UASD's reputation was in comparison to UNIBE or PUCMM. From the previous posts, it appears that UNIBE or PUCMM is considered the best med school in the DR?

Thanks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Graduates of the UASD that pass their tests should not have problems relocating to the US. Actually, for many years it was the better option. The reason being because early graduates of the UASD had accredited the university in many US states, while the other universities were just starting the process in the 80s. The leading medical schools to this date are UASD, INTEC, UNPHU, UNIBE and PUCMM, not necessarily in that order.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is a note.
When this thread originally went up I did take the comments made about the PUCMM program to the department director. While the philosophy has remained the same, the core curriculum has been adjusted to reflect the need to pass the boards. Therefore, students are getting a good deal more "science" classes during their early years.
According to the latest number, first time pass percentage remains above 90%.
While one poster said that UNIBE's Spanish language program is not eligible for US Federal Loans, the program at PUCMM is eligible for these loans....hummmm
HB