Dogs and chicken bones

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Do any of you guys living in the DR feed your pet dogs with chicken carcasses ?

The reason I ask is that when I lived for a short time in Puerto Plata with my Dominican wife she regularly flung the left over chicken carcass over the balcony to the waiting hoards below.

I was initially freaked out by this, as I was sure that the poor things would choke on all the sharp bones. They would however munch and crackle away quite happily.

If you suggested giving a dog chicken bones here in the UK I'm pretty sure you'd soon be 'hounded' by the RSPCA, no pun intended, tell a lie, it was intended.

Anyway have you adopted this 'less soft' feeding method, or do you, like me, still think it's a bit on the risky side ?

Paul

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
My dog eats chicken bones

and practically anything you give her. She loves coconut too!.....but sometimes has a hard time digesting it.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Extremely Dangerous

Cooked chicken (or meat) bones are extremely dangerous for any pet. Raw bones (alot softer) are what should be feed. I have my 1 year old boxer on what we call the BARF DIET; raw meat, fruit and vegetables. She loves it and has become addicted to fruit and veggies, I have many fruit trees in my garden and she will jump to get herself a mango and anything else that she can get her paws on she will eat it! This diet is much healthier for the dog and a lot cheaper than kibbles. Here in the DR most will give the animals anything, they do not see house pet as a family member like we do. Here are a couple of sites on the BARF subject:
http://www.ferretlove.co.uk/barflink.htm
http://www.boneapetit.ca/barf2.html
http://www.batangabee.com/acd/diet.htm

;)

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Veggie diet = noxious gasses

My dog eats left-overs from meals to a certain degree, avoiding things that don't agree with his stomach, however, when he downs green veg, like cabbage, he soon turns into a poison gas emitter which often results in him sitting in the back yard staring pitifully through the window.

Why is raw meat better than cooked ?

Paul

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes we give our Dominican dogs chicken carcass, cut up small, with their dried food..........& we're from uk & were as horrified as you when we first saw this practice. But after 12 years & not one problem with our dogs on this score......we're getting less concerned! I wouldn't do it with an 'English' dog but these local dogs are so bright, they seem to know how to crunch it up without bones splintering or any choking. And now of course, they'd be saying 'hey, where's the chicken?' if we left it out!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Eating like a wolf!

This diet is based on what dogs would eat in the wild, like wolfs would. In the wild they would eat fresh prays (raw chickens, turkeys, fish) which would also have in their inside raw fruits and vegetables. Some veggies cannot be used as they are dangerous, like onions, broccoli and small amount of cabbage. The fresh garlic and apple cider are used in the food to keep flees and parasites away. The whole diet also helps to keep the coat shinny, stop bad doggy smell, easy to pick up ?poopoo? (not soft) and keep a strong animal. Having a dog in DR often also means regular visits to the vet due to parasites, well, so far, my boxer as been bug free! Woof!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
juanita said:
This diet is based on what dogs would eat in the wild, like wolfs would. In the wild they would eat fresh prays (raw chickens, turkeys, fish) which would also have in their inside raw fruits and vegetables. Some veggies cannot be used as they are dangerous, like onions, broccoli and small amount of cabbage. The fresh garlic and apple cider are used in the food to keep flees and parasites away. The whole diet also helps to keep the coat shinny, stop bad doggy smell, easy to pick up ?poopoo? (not soft) and keep a strong animal. Having a dog in DR often also means regular visits to the vet due to parasites, well, so far, my boxer as been bug free! Woof!!

This is good to know. I've got a 70lb Rottie who eats just about anything, and I've found myself having to buy her dog food from Price Smart because I can't afford the other stuff. It's cheaper (RD$18/pound), but what comes out at the end is more than soft and quite smelly... I'll give the veggies and fruits a try to see if we can balance something out. I've never given her chicken bones because she gobbles almost everything whole. I don't want to think about what might happen if one of those bones got stuck in her throat or intestines...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
KateP said:
This is good to know. I've got a 70lb Rottie who eats just about anything, and I've found myself having to buy her dog food from Price Smart because I can't afford the other stuff. It's cheaper (RD$18/pound), but what comes out at the end is more than soft and quite smelly... I'll give the veggies and fruits a try to see if we can balance something out. I've never given her chicken bones because she gobbles almost everything whole. I don't want to think about what might happen if one of those bones got stuck in her throat or intestines...

Kate what I do is put all the veggis and fruit in the blender till its all cruched and mix it with second grade ground beef. For the raw chicken I buy the backs for real cheap at La Feria. My girl also gobbles it all down, but first I started her off by cutting it up in little pieces but now I just close my eyes and give her the big pieces..ahh... Kibbles and specialy cheap ones are made mostly of grains (which are bad for animals) and what ever left over meats that cannot be feed to humans, so it's hard on their stomach!

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Dog Killers

I dont believe this!!
I just skimmed all the postings and did not read each one in detail. Ask any Vet. Chicken bones are a MAJOR no for dogs. I have had probably a total 12 dogs at any given point in my life. I was told chicken bones will not break down digestively in your pet's system and my cause some serious internal damage as splintered pieces. The only human food, I was also told, you might prepare for your dog is chicken and rice. I same way you would eat it, assuming its not overly seasoned.

Damn dog killers! Stop giving those chicken bones and enjoy a happy dog.
TEHAMA
(also I would not feed a dog raw meat. No real basis for this other than I would not encourage him to one day snap my finger off!!)

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
TEHAMA said:
I dont believe this!!
I just skimmed all the postings and did not read each one in detail. Ask any Vet. Chicken bones are a MAJOR no for dogs. I have had probably a total 12 dogs at any given point in my life. I was told chicken bones will not break down digestively in your pet's system and my cause some serious internal damage as splintered pieces. The only human food, I was also told, you might prepare for your dog is chicken and rice. I same way you would eat it, assuming its not overly seasoned.

Damn dog killers! Stop giving those chicken bones and enjoy a happy dog.
TEHAMA
(also I would not feed a dog raw meat. No real basis for this other than I would not encourage him to one day snap my finger off!!)

Dog killer!! You must be kidding

I did alot of research on this BARF DIET and I would not feed it to my dog if I would think it could kill it! Maybe you should take a minute and read about it, and also read about what is said about kibbles. And BTW many vets recommend this raw meat diet. :glasses:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Ya know. Do your thing, not gonna get in a pissin contest over this.

Everything now is new and improve. This diet, that drug, ADD, the purple pill...etc.

Everyone claims there is a better way when there was nothing wrong with old way. I say kids need a good azz whipping on occasion instead of a pill.

If you wanted to raise a wolf, then get a wolf. Just dont cry later "the Dingo ate my baby."
TEHAMA

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
my rottie eats anything it can find. the list includes

5 day old dead duck
cow placenta with green manure sauce
pig manure
week old goat hooves
rabbit feet
cattle feed
soda bottles
table leftovers or whatever....

he is healthy and happy and performed stud service twice this week. people who pamper their dogs dont understand that the natural state of a dog is a scavenger.

now that i pizzed everyone off i will go take a nap

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
ROTFL

Rolling on the floor laughing!

this was good. cow placenta with green manure sauce!

you're good.

sjh said:

5 day old dead duck
pig manure
week old goat hooves
rabbit feet
cattle feed
soda bottles

he is healthy and happy and performed stud service twice this week. people who pamper their dogs dont understand that the natural state of a dog is a scavenger.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
sjh said:

5 day old dead duck
pig manure
week old goat hooves
rabbit feet
cattle feed
soda bottles

And I thought my dog was weird...LOL! Her diet used to include all the legs of my kitchen table and chairs as well at the plastic off of my patio rockingchairs (which are now at the farm since they ended up so ugly)... that is, until she met up with Tabasco sauce. The wood doesn't taste as good as it used to now... ;)

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
I have 4 dogs, the Doberman will eat anything and everything. In fact his favorite place to dine is the neighbor?s garbage can. For the indoor ones I tired that Tabasco trick on the furniture but as they are Chihuahuas it didn?t work, they just spent all day liking it off.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Common sense and humour

sjh;

Nice to see there are people with common sense left in the world.
We always had dogs when I was growing up in the country and they always ate the leftovers including chicken bones.They were always healthy and never went to the vet, unless, they tangled with a porcupine.

Toronto 2:

Great sense of humour....try tequila....they will lick it off for sure,but, maybe they will get to drunk to chew....lol