Harvard in the Dominincan Republic

KBarwise

Jun 28, 2004
Harvard in the Dominican Republic

So there have been rumours to the effect that Harvard is to be opening a medical school in the Dominican Republic, and my research has shown that Dominican University of Organization and Methods (O&M),Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic is collaborating with HMI (Harvard Medical International) to design, staff, and implement an integrated health sciences center that will house a new medical school and university hospital in Santo Domingo.

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/hmi/about/partners.html

Rumour also has it that UNPHU has closed down and has been bought by Harvard.

Visiting UNPHU's website has yielded that there is an english medical programme in the works

http://www.unphu.edu.do/UNPHU Eng/Medicine.htm

So my curiosity is getting the better of me & i'm dying to find out what is actually going on.
Has UNPHU in fact been closed?

Last edited:

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
you got me on that one but..

That will be a good thing for DR, but as far Im?concern the UUs 2005 ?s budget should include bying off this country or Making it another PR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Harvard in the DR!

Wow, and I thought first world exemplary institutions did not wanted to be associated with backward banana republics!

Maybe we are not as backward as we like to think of ourselves!

Bienvenido, have you lost all hopes?

If you have just remember, sometimes you have to be the change you desire upon this world.

If you don't like something, do something about it!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Old news, that about Harvard medical school. Was in DR1 Daily News on 17 December 2002:

Harvard teaching school in the DR
Harvard Medical International will support Universidad Dominicana O & M?s intention to build a medical school and a teaching hospital in the Dominican Republic. O&M president Rafael Jose Abinader and HMI president Robert Crone made the announcement in Santo Domingo last week. O&M is the largest private-owned university in the Dominican Republic with over 35,000 students enrolled in social sciences, business and physical sciences programs.*
Harvard Medical International (HMI) is a self-supporting, non-profit subsidiary of Harvard University that has worked in over 30 countries on 5 continents to create partnerships in health care, medical education and medical research.*
The goal is to create an academic medical center consisting of a premier medical school as well as an affiliated state-of-the-art teaching hospital that would cater to students in the Dominican Republic, the Caribbean, and the Americas.*
The plans aim to staff the academic medical center with high-caliber physicians from the Dominican Republic, and from top-ranked medical schools in Latin America, the United States, and elsewhere. HMI will be working closely with O&M to develop the center, drawing on the resources, expertise and experience of Harvard Medical School?s 8,000 faculty members and 17 affiliated health care centers, according to a HMI press release.
The first phase of the collaboration with HMI is to help O & M develop the program plan for the school and hospital and to assist in the execution of a feasibility study.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
an update

O & M and Harvard medical school
The O & M University in Santo Domingo and Harvard University are moving ahead on the development of the medical school that would open in 2008. Lynn Eckhert, academic director of the international division of the Harvard Medical School, and Constance Bowe, were in Santo Domingo to participate in preparatory meetings. Rector of O&M, Jose Abinader said that the project would position Dominican Republic on the map of prestigious schools. This is the first joint medical school program Harvard will develop in Latin America
dr1 news (July 18, 2006)

Last edited:

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Why the DR??

aegap said:
dr1 news (July 18, 2006)
There has to be a good sankie (or sankiette) story in here somewhere. Of all the places in Latin America (Chile, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Cuba), Harvard sets up shop in the DR?

-Helpmann :ermm: