Verizon? ? Are we victims? ?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
In Jan ? Feb 2004 Verizon implemented a 30 ? 40% price increase, across the board for virtually all of its services. Its reasoning? The Peso had been trading @ 20+- to the dollar for several years; now [i.e. Feb. 2004] the Peso was trading @ 40 ? 45 for US $1. Since everything is ultimately priced in the US $, prices must be increased to reflect this very substantial devaluation of the Peso. Nobody who lives in the DR disagreed with Verizon?s recent financial history nor it?s logic.
Fast forward 8 months, to Nov. 2004. The Peso is trading @ 30 +_; & heading south, perhaps slowly, perhaps not. Since the Peso has increased in value approx 30 ? 35% [@ 45 to @ 30], should not Verizon?s prices also decrease @ 25 ? 30 ? 35%. Wouldn?t we be better off if all Verizon prices were simply in US $?
Also, in the U S A, Verizon offers VoIP [Voice over Internet Protocol], allowing users of its DSL service to use the internet for regular phone calls. The costs? US$ 60. / month, all USA calls plus $36. worth of international calls, i.e. w/o additional charge.
Why doesn?t Verizon offer VoIP to its DR customers?
Food for thought? Verizon is an American company. Ready to help it?s 3rd world cousins - ?compassionate conservatism?. [I realize that I?ve rounded off some #s imprecisely; to make my message easily readable; rather that mathematically precise. If this bothers anyone, sorry.] Wouldn't a 30% Verizon reduction help the DR economy a great deal? Food for thought!

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
For this reason i have been only using Internet dial up and no more Internet Flash. The bill was too high for a lousy dsl connection.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Dial-up users...

The biggest trick Verizon did to dial-up users was to suppress their "Facil residencial" Plan so we are now forced to suscribe to their "Plan VIP" which is way more expensive...
The "Plan Facil residencial" was around 400 RD$/month, with unlimited acces to dial-up number. The "Plan VIP" is around 1500 RD$/month, with plenty of bells and whistles that most of us don't need...
Plus the new taxes that add another 25% (more or less) on top of things...