Luis Alfonso de Borbon wedding

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Anyone in La Romana can tell us about the royal wedding (Luis Alfonso de Borbon and Maria Margarita Vargas Santaella) taking place there today (Sat 6 Nov) at 7 pm? From what I understand, La Romana was chosen because the parents of the bride have a house there and it was middle ground between Spain and Venezuela.

I would speculate that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is attending the wedding -- although this was not on his official agenda for his visit (which only specified he would sign the oil agreement with the Dominican government and inaugurate the Plaza Bolivar). But, reading on the Spanish newspaper El Mundo, the father of the bride Victor Vargas is president of the Banco Occidental de Venezuela, one of the financial entities with which the government of President Hugo Chavez works. Reportedly, the bank is the third most important in the country, and the father is also known for his petroleum, financial, investment portfolio, real estate, farm operations, according to El Mundo.

Reportedly, some 1,000 VIP guests have come from the wedding.

Last edited:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Anybody remember me posting about hiring a cargo plane to cater a wedding in the DR??? This is it! Everyone can thank Bugsey34 for making the event possible :). I am SO glad this wedding is over today, because if the planning dragged on one more instant I think I was going to lose it. But everything looks like it will go off without a hitch!

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
This is Good

i beleive that the marrige is a good thing for DR ( publicity) this could also strengthen our ties with Spain and Venezuela

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Dolores said:
Anyone in La Romana can tell us about the royal wedding (Luis Alfonso de Borbon and Maria Margarita Vargas Santaella) taking place there today (Sat 6 Nov) at 7 pm? From what I understand, La Romana was chosen because the parents of the bride have a house there and it was middle ground between Spain and Venezuela.

I would speculate that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is attending the wedding -- although this was not on his official agenda for his visit (which only specified he would sign the oil agreement with the Dominican government and inaugurate the Plaza Bolivar). But, reading on the Spanish newspaper El Mundo, the father of the bride Victor Vargas is president of the Banco Occidental de Venezuela, one of the financial entities with which the government of President Hugo Chavez works. Reportedly, the bank is the third most important in the country, and the father is also known for his petroleum, financial, investment portfolio, real estate, farm operations, according to El Mundo.

Reportedly, some 1,000 VIP guests have come from the wedding.

President Hugo Chavez didn't stay for the wedding. The wedding was at 7 pm and news reports say he left for Venezuela at 5 pm.

Added 9 Nov. Actually, maybe he did. What the press reported is that he left at 5 pm, but maybe he made a stopover in La Romana on his way back. He was in time. Will have to wait for the Hola magazine...

Last edited:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
As far as I know the wedding went off without a hitch though all of our employees there are very tired! It was a huge production with so many logistics to be organized... it gave me a big headache. We ended up renting a cargo plane and taking pretty much everything down there since we really couldn't rely on the quality of pretty much anything in the DR, especially on this large a scale. It was a serious project for us, and we only did the food...

As far as I know they sold the media rights to Hola Magazine, so no one was allowed to take pictures at all, the wedding was VERY heavily guarded, both on the marina and at the event. We'll all have to wait for the Hola copy!