At last! Tender juicy meat!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
For those of us meat lovers, I have found the best place to get the ?real? stuff. I think I have tried every single cut from the supermercado but always end-up with a very hard piece of steak on my plate. This place called ?Chef Pepper? imports international products and delivers it right to your door. The meat comes fresh in a ?vacuum pack? package. I have become addicted to their Baby Back Ribs; they come pre-cooked, seasoned, and I just throw them on the BBQ. I always order from their website and always get it in less than an hour. For those interested here is the site: www.chefpepper.com.do

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
JDJones said:
Please check, I am interested, but the link give me a page not found message.

I just called, the site is down (Codetel problems) but will be up soon. Here is the phone number:

565-4068
378-0413

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you marinade the supermercado steak for 24 hours it will not turn out hard. I use oil, red wine, soy sauce & herbs & spices. There is very little fat in the meat here, the fat veins are thin & infrequent, thus when you cook it can turn into something more suitable for attaching to the base of your shoe! Marinading solves this.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Lambada said:
If you marinade the supermercado steak for 24 hours it will not turn out hard. I use oil, red wine, soy sauce & herbs & spices. There is very little fat in the meat here, the fat veins are thin & infrequent, thus when you cook it can turn into something more suitable for attaching to the base of your shoe! Marinading solves this.

Do you fry it or BBQ than? I even used a hammer on mine and it still came out hard!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No, I broil it. Rub the pan with oil first, then pour marinade in & heat up, then add steak, sear on all sides on high heat to seal juices in, then lower heat, put cover on pan & cook slowly in the liquid, remembering to turn. I have the butcher cut the f.m. de res about 11/2 - 2 inches thick. Thin cut steak I have found there is no hope for, despite what you do. I don't use the 'hammer' technique ;) , I know, you meant a meat hammer or tenderiser, because I haven't found it necessary.

Steak

A good steak, just finished a mouth watering t-bone, not marinated, not basted with anything, hot hot bar b q and cooked quickly. One turn each side and cuts like butter with a hot knife. mmmmmmmmm good.

Succulent to say the least. Good Canadian beef top them all, including DR steaks.

Ribs in the DR, Rocky's are great, where he get them I don't know but they are excellent.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Slightly off topic, but I had the best Churrasco steak I have had since I moved here.

Train Steak House on Pastuer in Santo Domingo, just North of Independencia. Imported meat from Argentina. $800 pesos for 12 ounces.

It made up for all of the shoe soles I eat at home.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
JDJones said:
How about sharing your marinade receipe? I just chewed 45 minutes to eat a tasty california cut steak. Good task, but I can break down chewing gum quicker than the sucker I had tonight!

I thought I had, JDJones, in post 4. Oil, red wine, soy sauce or worcestershire sauce if you prefer, whatever fresh herbs you have, or if you haven't got fresh use dried oregano, basil, thyme etc.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Tender Meat...

We use a pressure cooker. Put the meat in a pressure cooker for about 30 minutes and you will have very tender steak. Take out of cooker and grill it, adding sauces and seasonings.

But I will try marinading it. Sounds like that may be better.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Decided to give chefpepper a try since tomorrows a "cookout" day.
Ordered some hamburgers and a rack of baby backs. Just finished up one of the hamburgers and I can honestly say it was the best hamburger ive had in the D.R. in almost 7 years. Omaha Steaks burgers dont even come close in taste!

The burger was very juicy and had no small pieces of tendon like most frozen burgers do.. Two angus burgers for $150rd isnt that expensive either. The rack of baby backs is a little smaller than the baby backs they sell at Pricemart but the difference in price more than makes up for it (RD1000+ vs RD365). Will let you all know how those taste tomorrow....

Delivery is free in S.D. and they had my order at my door within the hour. They take cash or credit cards.

The presentation was really top notch and the package quality was very close to that of Omaha Steaks.

Will definitely be ordering from them again.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Snuffy said:
Where are they located and what is cost of delivery? Gotta be Santo Domingo...right?

No cost for delivery, there are in Santo Domingo but I think they said they might open a location in Santiago also!

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
tender every time

Product is (JACCARD) a meat tenderizer... I have owned one for many years and would not live without one. It will make any cut of meat tender. Basically it breaks down the capillaries in the meat and takes less than a minute of your time. I have the super 3 model, cost is around $25us but it will last forever. The company is based out of Buffalo, New York. In the long run it will pay for itself ,and knowing the piece of meat you cook will be tender, plus saving money on marinating. So for anyone interested just look them up and ENJOY. ;)