Boxes of Food From USA and Appliances

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
A dominican friend of mine tells me that you can ship food from NYC to the DR and pay per box. Rule is that you can only have food in the box. Supposedly the price of shipping is reasonable. They bring it direct to your door in Dominican Republic. Also, he purchased a Frig...double door...that he got used for $300...Maytag...but looks new. He told me that shipping was around $200 to his door. Same quality of Frig here would cost $45,000 pesos or more....which is currently around $1500USD. He tells me that anyone can do it...if they know which company to go with. You never make contact with customs.

I had seen two dominican families ship food and appliances and then I saw my friend ship the Frig...so I asked and he told me. I don't know if it is true. I have no reason to doubt him, but then I always reserve a certain amount of doubt here.

Shipping food might be a great idea on those imported items that are sometimes triple the price you would pay in the USA.

So, has anyone else heard of this service?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Trust Your Doubt

There is a saying "if it sounds too good to be true" and you reserve a certain amount of doubt, trust your doubt.

You are better off purchasing your appliances new here because they are manufactured for this market and will carry a warrantee specific for this country, authorized service and replacement parts will be readily available. Appliances purchased abroad and shipped here are subject to deceitful shipping practices, loss and damage, lack of insurance, heavy duties, "customs inspection", lack of or no authorized service and parts.

I know for a fact, of a reliable shipping company I have used out of the States that ended up selling refrigerators, stoves, and tv's, its clients shipped to the island, all because the clients did not claim them. Why? Because the clients upon their arrival on the island do not want to pay the freight and customs charges. The clients found out it was cheaper for them to purchase new here.

If you are going to ship food, then ship only products you need that "cannot" be acquired in the D.R. You will over time discover food items here you would normally find in the states and also you will recognize yourself yielding to the cheaper and healthier Dominican diet.

Regards,
PJT

dominicangirl

Oct 9, 2002
My family has been doing this for years. You can send a box of food for $100. I have also sent my kid's Mickey Mouse TV and DVD player in a box that was full of clothes and was only charged $75. (Of course, they didn't know the tv & dvd player were in there - yes I know I couldn't claim them if they got last but I took the chance and everything was OK). There are many reliable shipping companies in the New York City area.

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
My experience (out of the NYC area)

I used montero shipping out of NYC area 4 months ago. I sent a new freezer/refrigerator among a bunch of other good things and some junk. They delivered to my door. I never had to do any customs or anything else. (they call this service puerta-a-puerta)

The items were all used household items. The cost was about 50-75 per box of used stuff plus 150 for the freezer.

salud,

fff

ladybug

Aug 26, 2002
sending parcels from canada

Does anyone now of a reliable company that can send parcels of clothes to the DR from Toronto, Canada?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Dominican Girl....

dominicangirl said:
My family has been doing this for years. You can send a box of food for $100. I have also sent my kid's Mickey Mouse TV and DVD player in a box that was full of clothes and was only charged $75. (Of course, they didn't know the tv & dvd player were in there - yes I know I couldn't claim them if they got last but I took the chance and everything was OK). There are many reliable shipping companies in the New York City area.

What size of box for $100?

The reason I had brought this topic up originally is that I thought it might help some of us who are having to cut back on certain types of foodstuff. Someone was talking about a jar of peanut butter being quiet expensive and it is. I can think of a lot of imported items that come in small containers...that are what I would consider very expensive here.

Someone mentioned the Dominican diet and how it was probably better to eventually change ones diet to the Dominican diet. I agree. In most cases it is a healthier diet. However, I do believe this diet has a high level of acid and this contributes to serious stomach problems. They use an awful lot of oil here also...fry this and fry that. Still, it is nice to have variety and there are some items that we just really love to eat that you cannot get here.

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
Snuffy said:
What size of box for $100?

The reason I had brought this topic up originally is that I thought it might help some of us who are having to cut back on certain types of foodstuff. Someone was talking about a jar of peanut butter being quiet expensive and it is. I can think of a lot of imported items that come in small containers...that are what I would consider very expensive here.

Someone mentioned the Dominican diet and how it was probably better to eventually change ones diet to the Dominican diet. I agree. In most cases it is a healthier diet. However, I do believe this diet has a high level of acid and this contributes to serious stomach problems. They use an awful lot of oil here also...fry this and fry that. Still, it is nice to have variety and there are some items that we just really love to eat that you cannot get here.

My parents live in DR and every six months or so, I send them a box of food items that are either too expensive there or they can't find. The cost is $75 and it is delivered to their door. When they moved to DR about 2 years ago they used this service also. They shipped, stove, washer/dryer/, refrigerator, air conditioners, furniture, etc. and everything was shipped, nothing lost. The door to the oven broke and they replaced it free of charge. We always use La Monumental Shipping.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Update on this subject...........

Okay...I finally got the scoop on how this works. Very interesting and something you guys will want to consider as you know there are food items here that are three and four times the price you will find in USA.

For $75 USD....the shipping company will go to your location in USA (my research was for New York area but I am sure Miami offers the same) and pick up a plastic drum (you see these big blue plastic drums all over the place here) filled with food items only. You can put whatever you want in the drum and there is no weight limit as long at it is food. I suppose they may open the top and look inside and may remove a few items to see that all is food. Then again, they may just take your word for it. They will deliver it to your location in the D.R. ...again total cost is $75. I don't yet know the cost of the plastic container or where to purchase it. Any shipping company offers this service if they service the D.R. from USA.

Yes, I know it is more healthy to eat dominican fruits, vegetables, etc... but sometime you may want a little variety. Hope this helps.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
Boxes Of Food

From New Jersey it cost US$50.00, it shipped by boat not plane and it takes about 20 days door to door.

The box is about 3 to 4 feet high and wide enough to ship a 13 inch tv (don't ask me how i know :) )

As an offer you can ship with the box a 20 pound bag of rice and a can of cooking oil.

Your are olny to ship food, but from 100s of boxes you have to have bad luck to have yours opened here.

Since it's only food you can send if you put a DVD, VCR, Ect in the box you do it at your own risk and these boxes are not handled with the best of care.

Many people have, but i use it more for stuff that are 3 to 4 times the price here like canned ham, salmon, some cereals you can't get here, some juice boxes for my kid ect.

I buy about $US500 worth of stuff about every 6 months. when i compare what i buy to the prices here / exchange rate i come out ahead buy like $30,000 pesos that i save by having it shipped.

Example if i were to buy those things here i would spend about $RD45,000 to $60,000, belive me i have gone with my list to the supermarket here and made the calculations, but i spend only US$500 + $US50 at a rate of 35/1 is only $RD19,500.

Plus i have a sister in NJ that when she goes shopping she looks out for specials on items i buy (That is a big Plus) she packs it and sends it, they go to her house to pick it up, she has send me shoes and shirts many time too.

All in all it is a good thing.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Domwolf...Name of Shipping Company...

Can you give that to me and also can you tell me where you get the boxes....do you pick the boxes up at the shipping company? I am trying to figure out how I can do this without living in New Jersey or New York. I can probably do this in Miami if I can find the shipping company. Thanks.

Caribee

Mar 22, 2003
Need Name of Reliable Shipping Co. in Miami........

Could anyone please give me the name, address and perhaps phone number of a reliable "Puerta a Puerta" shipping company in the Miami area? This would be a wonderful way for me to ship a barrel of Christmas goodies and gifts to my faithful employees and friends in DR........ :)

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
sure

Sure i will get the name of the company in NJ, but from my understanding, in NY and NJ there are several places you can pick up the boxes, and call to have them picked up since the main shipping company has deals with all sorts of small shopes all in NY and NJ, especialy the places that do money envios, they don't handle the shipment directly they are middle men, the busniess is huge now.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Anyone ever get a company name for this service...

Puerta a Puerta from Miami to D.R. ?

Avital

Feb 7, 2005
name of shipping company

Could you please give me the telephone number of the shipping company you used.
I am looking to ship a one time frozen meat/chicken, wine and crackers.. in boxes.. for our family reunion.. do you know of any problems of shipping thses products??

regards,
AA

bugaloo said:
I used montero shipping out of NYC area 4 months ago. I sent a new freezer/refrigerator among a bunch of other good things and some junk. They delivered to my door. I never had to do any customs or anything else. (they call this service puerta-a-puerta)

The items were all used household items. The cost was about 50-75 per box of used stuff plus 150 for the freezer.

salud,

fff

DogsRule

Apr 14, 2004
New Jersey

I had a website at one time for a place out of New Jersey but I lost it. If anyone has a website address or phone number or anything, please post it inasmuch as New York/New Jersey is a big area and something more specific would be helpful for those of us unfamiliar with the service.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
DogsRule said:
I had a website at one time for a place out of New Jersey but I lost it. If anyone has a website address or phone number or anything, please post it inasmuch as New York/New Jersey is a big area and something more specific would be helpful for those of us unfamiliar with the service.

Try the following www.monteroshipping.com they are in every city that have a significant number of Dominicans.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
2 that I know are in NY

High Class Express 212-567-1335 in PP 809-724-7899

River Shipping 212-865-2200 in PP 809-970-7922

I called High Class in the city and they gave me a quote of $125 door-to-door shipping for a 19 in TV.

ofelia1225

Sep 27, 2004
From Miami, FL a box 18 X 18 X 28 with food and personal articles door to door is $100.

A box 24 x 24 x 24 with personal articles is $125.

The service is door to door and you don't have to worry about customs. I know people that have used their service with no problems. I'll be using them next month to send my things. It takes 2 - 3 weeks for delivery.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Sounds good, but

ofelia1225 said:
From Miami, FL a box 18 X 18 X 28 with food and personal articles door to door is $100.

A box 24 x 24 x 24 with personal articles is $125.

The service is door to door and you don't have to worry about customs. I know people that have used their service with no problems. I'll be using them next month to send my things. It takes 2 - 3 weeks for delivery.

who is "them?" The name of the company would be helpful. Also, I am assuming you are packing the box yourself and then sending it? Or are you having a friend pack it for you if you are already here? I am interested in getting some items sent to me from the states that I cannot find here, and I can have someone from Missouri or Kansas send it to Miami if they'll forward it on. But what is the address of theis place you are referring to? Do they have a website.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
BigDaddy....

If that is your situation then you can have it sent to any of the services in the Bronx NY. Try the Montero Shipping link given above. Call and talk to Julie. She seems like a wonderful person to do business with. Normally they provide the box for you. In your case you would tell her the size of the box you are shipping and then they would quote a price. Call her and discuss your options.

But any such service would work. What may be expensive is getting it to their location.