Question about longer stay in DR

Aho

Nov 9, 2004
Hi All.

This will be the first thread I post here.
I've surfed around here a bit and it seems there are alot of people who know alot about the DR, so I hope some of you maybe can help me with my questions.

I'm a 21 year old Swedish guy, who would like to go to the DR sometime next fall, and stay there for a longer period of time (up to 10 months).

In "high school" I did a chef/restaurant kind of education (sorry for my bad English), and after that I have worked in a moving company (moving ppl's furniture and ****..), and that is about all the merits/skills I have on paper.
I am also pretty good with computers.

I speak/write Swedish, English and Finnish fluently, know very little Spanish but I could consider taking some kind of basic spanish classes before I leave.

The amount of money I could get for the trip (incl. airline ticket) would be about 1500 euro (abt $2100 ?), so to be able to stay there I would need to find a job.
How difficault is it? I was thinking that maybe I could work in a bar or something in some resort, but I'm not that picky, anything would do as long as I earn enough money to live there.

I would also need somewhere to live, ofcourse. How much does it cost to rent an apartment or a room ?
And is it hard to find a cheap but not too "skanky" place to live?

What part of the DR would suit this "trip" best? And is this possible or should I just continue dreaming?

Thanks in advance,
/Micke

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Aho said:
*bump*

.... :tired:
I am definitely no the expert of living as an expat. But I am an expert on living on the cheap. In fact, if there was a Living on the Cheap Doctorate I'd sign Dr. Pib... but I have BAD news for you. 1500 Euros won't last 10 months here and jobs are as scarce as hen's teeth.

Do you have a plan B we can discuss?

Aho

Nov 9, 2004
Let's discuss (?) then. I am open for suggestions, and thanks for replying.